• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks but no spark, no fuel.

Flatheadx

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen other post like mine, but none exactly like my problem. And all their solutions have not fixed mine. I have a 98 XJ it will crank but will not start. I have no fuel, or spark. Also no fuel gauge or volt meter. I have narrowed it down. And now I'm stuck...

First test was to see if there was spark and where the spark ended. I am not getting spark to the coil. Telling me it's not sending signal from the PCM.

Second test was fuel, and when jumping the relay I have my fuel pump. Meaning it to is not getting signal from PCM.

This leads me to believe that something is killing the signal to the ASD relay.

I first tested then replaced the CrankPS and the CamPS
So both are new and test fine. I have even swapped the PCM with a friend's xj, which does run and is still running. Also hooking this PCM to his, it still ran. I traced down all electrical grounds cleaning and fixing them all. Then leading to corrosion in the the fuse panel I removed it and the lower portion and begin to jump/bypass the wires to see if any wires or connection was corroded.

This is where I get stuck... when I put a positive charge to the ASD signal/power pin I get my gauges back but no start. When I charge the ground side of the circuit closing the ASD relay I get gauges and it will start right up. But to turn the Jeep off I have to turn off the key and then pop the hood and remove the ASD relay to shut the Jeep off. So I need to figure out why when I give the ASD power to its power side to activate it I get only gauges but when I out power to the ground pin i get a fully operational Jeep?

Two things that lead up to this but I can't find a relation was it over heated when the electrical fan went out and the ac was on. I replaced the fan and everything was fine. Then I replaced the shift solenoids in the transmission. (Which had been needed for a few months) And I didnt have any issues. I did have to wiggle the dip stick tube between the wiring harnesses on the rear passenger side of the motor to drop it and put it back in place. But I see no damage done. Wiggling the wires gives me no indication one was broken or loose. And all connectors are in place. It did start directly after the solenoid replacement. But when running it drive and shifts beautifully now.

Last edited:
It could be a bad ASD relay!!!! Isn't there an anti rollover switch somewhere on later year vehicles that kills the ASD relay???

Wild guess, but check for a bent pin in the large connector to the transmission you mentioned. Sounds like a wiring issue or the ignition switch maybe if not the ASD relay? Ignition switch can show with odd symptoms sometimes. You really need to snoop through your years wiring layout, and even then damaged wiring can be a huge guessing game based on symptoms to locate it.

I just got this problem. Cranks but wont start. Then i put it in neutral and it started. Let it run for a while, turned it off. Tried turning it on in park and it started, after a while. Now it wont start in park or neutral, and check engine light is on.

When mine had this problem it ended up being a bad computer

its weird..because i checked all fuse, all are fine. Went to try starting it again, it started up just fine. I'm not sure it is the same problem that Flatheadx is having, maybe??

Hey, Flatheadx, i found a youtube video about a no-start jeep. (not sure if this will actually fix your problem) But, one thing they found was a wiring harness was touching the exhaust manifold which cause the wiring to melt causing a short which caused the no start issue. Maybe something to look for? This was with a wiring diagram showing it had relation to the ASD.

Still no luck. Can only get it to start when adding a positive charge to the ground pin of the ASD relay. I have tried allnew fuses in and out of the car as well as all new relays in and outside the cab and engine bay. I have inspected all wires and plug for damage and no wires or plugs where damaged. I have temporarily made a switch to turn the car off with instead of popping the hood and pulling the relay everytime. I also think energizing it this way is eating my battery because now it won't hold a charge and has to be jumped everytime now. I have tried re wiring the jumpers under the fuse box and still no luck. I can't get any signal to the ASD relay. I have replaced the cam sensor in the distributor with no luck. The crankshaft sensor twice with no luck. I've tried swapping the computer from the front corner of the engine bay with a friend of mines and it don't work. Also I don't see the computer being bad if it runs just fine with power to the ASD relay. I am still at a massive loss of idea with this Jeep. Also I k ow it's not my neutral safety switch for one I just rebuilt it and two I can get it to crank over just fine when the ASD is powered. Still open to ideas sorry for the late replay I just did new floors and a motor tranny swap in my 96 crawler xj

Hey I have been working on 89 jeep Cherokee 4.0 I've cleaned connection changed crank sensor. I have no spark fuel pump will only work if I jump the relay. Please help I'm 7 days. Could someone help me please

Back