• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

COP/SNORKEL story

wek91xj

NAXJA Forum User
OK, yesterday about 6 oclock i was drivin from the cabin to get some steaks to cook for the night wiht the boys,.... well a cop gets behind me and trails me for about a mile before pulling me over.... he pulls behind me and gets on the PA and says "driver, step out of the car and come back to my passenger side" so i get in and ask him what i did because i know i did nothing...then he says " What the hell is that think in the side of your hood" (jokin around) the guy pulled me over to ask what my snorkel was.... then we talked about my jeep for 15 minutes while the guys in my car were sittin there freakin out thinking somehtin g was going on....can you belive that stuff.

Luckily you weren’t forced to use the aft torpedoes.
Aoooogah!
:D

haha yea he thought it was exaust, which is the most common one i get...i have gotten periscope though...

I have gotten everything from a light, exhaust, periscope, to air vent for inside. I just say yup you guessed it for sure.

No way.

I would seriously see to it that that cop never pulled a stunt like that again.
If some donut-puncher used the bullhorn for no good reason and embarrassed me and scared my kids I would obtain a lawyer and get that punk put back on parking patrol.
What an a$$!
Hasta.

EDIT:File a formal complaint with the department, or allow yourself to be bent over by the man in front of your kids for the rest of your life.
:soapbox:

Last edited:
HE claimed to have pulled me at first because my liscence tag didnt look valid,.... but it is def. an 04 tag

I wonder what he would have asked this Jeeper?
Pic Two Pic Three

readers-0105.jpg

bgcntry72 said:
I would seriously see to it that that cop never pulled a stunt like that again.
If some donut-puncher used the bullhorn for no good reason and embarrassed me and scared my kids I would obtain a lawyer and get that punk put back on parking patrol.
What an a$$!
Hasta.

EDIT:File a formal complaint with the department, or allow yourself to be bent over by the man in front of your kids for the rest of your life.
:soapbox:

I disagree.

The cop was friendly, and there was no citation. How much would you bet that an XJ modified enough to wear a snorkle is probably lifted way beyond the legal limit for whatever state it's in, and it's an even-up chance that the tires stick out too far from the bodywork to be legal. If the cop was cool about it, I see it as a chance to show a cop that not all modified Jeeps are driven by young punks.

No harm, no foul.

The next time that cop sees this Jeep, unless the driver is doing something really egregious, more than likely he'll just wave and not even look at the speedometer.

File a complaint, and every cop in the department will have your license plate number taped to the dashboard. Cops take care of their own. T'ain't right, but that's the way it is. Right now, everybody's happy, so I recommend leaving it that way.

Perhaps, Eagle...

I still don't like the idea of my young children watching their father being ordered out of his vehicle by the police.
If he wants to ask me a question about my Jeep, he can walk his a$$ over to me and do it.
With MY KIDS in the car?
No way, man.
No way in hell.
Hasta.

bgcntry72 said:
I still don't like the idea of my young children watching their father being ordered out of his vehicle by the police.
If he wants to ask me a question about my Jeep, he can walk his a$$ over to me and do it.
With MY KIDS in the car?
No way, man.
No way in hell.
Hasta.

I can tell you one thing... somehow I have a feeling that if he pulled you over, you'd be already sitting behind bars, because he WOULD have found something wrong to justify his pulling YOU over :D

Btw, if a cop says: step out and walk to me, you should already know that nothing is wrong as if he suspected something, or something was wrong, you would be told not to breath at the risk of gaining at least one more orifice :D

bgcntry72 said:
With MY KIDS in the car?
No way, man.
No way in hell.
Hasta.
I don't think this guy had his kids with him - check his DOB in his profile. ;) If he did have kids with him, though, he should be pissed about that happening. If it was just some friends, I think it would be kinda funny, just to have his friends sitting there freaking out while he's sitting in the nice warm cop car talking Jeep.

Roger that.

Phil Weeks said:
I don't think this guy had his kids with him - check his DOB in his profile. ;) If he did have kids with him, though, he should be pissed about that happening. If it was just some friends, I think it would be kinda funny, just to have his friends sitting there freaking out while he's sitting in the nice warm cop car talking Jeep.

I see that now.
I have two step-children and with my wife, maintain split custody. The last thing I need my 5 and 7 year old reporting back to dad is that Scott was ordered out of his Jeep by the police.
Additionally, I have lived in Chicago, the city, proper, and know that if I am ordered out of my car over the bullhorn, something bad is usually about to happen.
I have no doubt that this is the same type of cop that would use his emergency lights to run a red light for no other reason than he didn't feel like stopping.
It is an abuse of power to push around innocent people, and tolerating it takes away from everything that this country is supposed to represent.
Hasta.

Not being there and not knowing exactly what was going through the cops mind at the time, its hard to judge, but I've got to agree with you BG, pulling someone over in that manner just to ask about a snorkle is inappropriate. I don't believe I would go so far as to get an attorney, but I would definitely have talked to the policeman at the time to find out if he had some other reason to pull me over. Had he no good explaination and had he not apologized, a letter to his supervisor would definitely be in order. Most definitely had there been children in my vehicle.

ha sorry, didnt clarify that... when i said boys i meant friends not sons,... sorry for that haha

My dads been pulled over twice to be asked where he had the custom paint on his '77 Jimmy done, no harm done, just a cop being friendly. I don't know about yuou guys, but if I was stuck in a car for 7 or 8 hours I would want to talk to someone other than a dispatcher.

Dean

DDCxj said:
My dads been pulled over twice to be asked where he had the custom paint on his '77 Jimmy done, no harm done, just a cop being friendly. I don't know about yuou guys, but if I was stuck in a car for 7 or 8 hours I would want to talk to someone other than a dispatcher.

Dean

Don't use the bullhorn to inquire about my rig, just ask me.
I don't need the stress.
If he wants someone to talk to so bad he can go extort a prostitute.
No one sends someone to my office to talk to me all day.
Thats why I have all of you.
:D
iownyou.jpg

I was on my way to "FF98" in Moab....i had just crossed the state line into utah.

I got pulled over by a trooper who was probably younger than me at the time.....

he asked me "do you know why i pulled you over?"

"your license plate was flapping in the breeze"......

I couldn't deny that fact, it was, and i could see why i would be stopped for it....

but then, a 15 minute "jeep interview" ensued. I mean, it was a LOOONG time to be sitting on the side of the road. He was taking notes, he wrote down every dot-com I had mentioned.....when it was over, and he was walking away, I thought maybe he was going back to write a ticket, or a written warning, so I yelled for him... "are we done?" Guy looked at me like i had twelve heads, probably over his embarrasement for not being able to remember what excuse he used for pulling me over.....

I wasn't upset, I didn't feel violated, being pulled over didn't make me nervous, or any of that, and my time wasn't really being wasted, but COME AWN!

quite the opposie occurrs in chicago, the CPD are so busy with REAL calls, you can practically drive down lake shore drive with the teen wolf auto-surfing on top of your car, in order to get pulled over.....

Back