• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling upgrades help

The XJ of 0-guage-steamer is running at the perfect temperature using a 180 degree thermostat. :read:

While it is true his system is modified, the modifications are only to help it from getting too hot. The temperature rating of the thermostat dictates only the minimum temperature at which the engine runs. It still need a good cooling system to keep high temperatures in check.

I worked in Des Moines IA for the first part of winter 2007. During those days the engine would get up to 195 degrees very quickly and remain there regardless of the speed at which I drive. My XJ have no mechanical fan so at idle the temperature will rise until the electric fans come on and pull it back down. Unfortunately, in the hot South Florida summer, the temperature stays more in the 210 degree margin,... too hot for my likeing given the under engineered cooling system thus the many complaints from drivers of the temperature suddenly spikeing out of control.

If I ever replace the thermostat in the XJ again, I will go with one that is 180 degrees since it will allow the engine to get up to 190/195 degrees and give a slight safety margin on hot temperatures.

To each his own.

hey guys. just an update. priced out radiators. apparently you can spend $500-$1000 on a BRASS one. nice
I'll be getting a 2 row HD radiator thanks
and was told by the guy at napa that the zj fan clutch CANNOT WILL NOT DOES NOT drop into my 4.0 xj
I told him I wanted 97-98 zj v6 4.0 w/o max cooling. which one of us is the idiot?
possible that he looked up the v8 fan clutch??

thanks

There are 3 part numbers for the fan clutch...

The MAX COOL ZJ fan will not fit...no way...but the part number I gave you is good and it fits fine. We all have to give the parts guys an education from time to time. This guy apparently can't think out of the box. You are modifying the Jeep. I have one in both of my 4.0's...hmmm, I guess he's wrong. Just go in and ask for the PART NUMBER. Don't go through the 93, Jeep, cherokee, 4x4, 4.0 info. Don't tell him it's for an XJ. If I'm wrong and you can't fit it or return it I'll buy it from you.

Last edited:
I have, personally, installed two of the ZJ 4.0L Standard, non-HD fan clutches in two different XJs and can attest to the fact they drop in. The HD (max cool) clutch will not fit.

Good thing too as your Heep will sound like something from WWII, but it fits. Owing the the increased coupling percentage, the fan will be making more noise. As in hear it coming from down the block noise. But, and it is a big but, the clutch makes the fan pump an amazing amount or air.

The reason for the big noise is the fan diameter differences between an XJ and a ZJ. The ZJ fan is much larger and the clutch slips a bit more with that fan on it holding the noise down. Our little fans just spin right up.

Hmm, I don't notice the added noise. Of course I am completely deaf in my left ear...that may have some bearing on it.

ok guys I hope this is all correct. zj fan clutch, 195 tstat, water pump, heater core, auto transmission cooler, and I have a radiator to be delivered on monday. thanks for your help everyone I hope this all works.
I also cut my hood to let some hot air out. should stay nice and cool

I HAD A QUESTION about my fan clutch. do I need a new fan to go with it?? I literally just bought the clutch
it bolts right onto the water pump perfectly

97.jpg

96.jpg

107.jpg

I HAD A QUESTION about my fan clutch. do I need a new fan to go with it?? I literally just bought the clutch
it bolts right onto the water pump perfectly

your fan should fit the clutch with no need for a replacement-- but the clutch doesn't mount on the water pump in an XJ. It mounts to the passenger side of the water pump on an idler shaft and pulley, IIRC.

I'd still recommend a 97+ fan; it's such an easy upgrade.

Also, put a temp. sensor in when you do the aux trans cooler.

your fan should fit the clutch with no need for a replacement-- but the clutch doesn't mount on the water pump in an XJ. It mounts to the passenger side of the water pump on an idler shaft and pulley, IIRC.

hm well I took it out of the box and it fits right up to the back of the pump.. I'm not really positive how it works I've never done this before.
but I'm 100% sure it's the right clutch

my question was should I get a zj fan to replace my stock fan? or just install the clutch and call it good

mileage will suffer and you will be one of the few with an over efficient cooling system. I'd doubt that you'll run under 200* once it's up to full operating temp, but it might take a bit longer to get there-- mileage will still suffer a bit, but not enough for most people to worry about.

mileage will suffer and you will be one of the few with an over efficient cooling system. I'd doubt that you'll run under 200* once it's up to full operating temp, but it might take a bit longer to get there-- mileage will still suffer a bit, but not enough for most people to worry about.

If I wanted to save gas I would've gotten a honda haha. as long as I'm running between 200*-210* and never going above 220* I'm fine.
thanks guys. it was all worth it with the body shop discount. I'll get everything installed by next weekend and update you all again

once again, anything I should add to my goodie pile while I have everything taken apart? besides trans temp sensor. I'm pretty much tapped out of cash

Make sure you do a good flush of the cooling system! Some people have suggested running 50/50 vinegar/water for a day or two to help gently remove corrosion.

Oh, and I don't remember how the hoses on the 92+ models are, but my 88 RENIX has some stupid flared hoses.

Back