• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system upgrades

Perfect world with a 10k stroker? Id spend the coin to run waterless/dry coolant like they use in mecums auction candidates 😉

I just run straight 50/50 pre-mix without any issues (temps/rust).

Thats the stuff 😉👍🏻 theres another company i found too that does similar and boasts better numbers than Evans, i’ll have to go down the rabbit hole and see if i can find it

The MSDS says 80-85% ethylene glycol. Seems like this is just undiluted antifreeze, and it might cause worse cooling than they typical 50/50 mix?

The MSDS says 80-85% ethylene glycol. Seems like this is just undiluted antifreeze, and it might cause worse cooling than they typical 50/50 mix?

Ethylene glycol by itself is a horrible coolant, yes. Its only there to change the freeze/boil point of the water in the system and add corrosion protection. Ideally, 100% alkaline mineral free water is the best coolant you can get(*). For added protection, run water wetter or equivalent

(*)just like life itself, YMMV and you must do your homework first. There are serious drawbacks. Its on the internet, so it must be true! 🙄😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lunacy against distilled water is due to a lack of information and understanding. There is a BIG difference between distilled and DI (DeIonized)water. Distilled is simply clean with less impurities due to the distillation process. It is definitely better than tap water or bottled water.

DI water is also very low in impurities but has also been stripped of its normally occurring ions. Exposing many substances to DI water is detrimental since the DI water will "suck" ions away from most metals and actually lead to erosion of the base metal. You can happily drink distilled water, but don't try it with DI water, as it will really screw up your internals.

The lunacy against distilled water is due to a lack of information and understanding. There is a BIG difference between distilled and DI (DeIonized)water. Distilled is simply clean with less impurities due to the distillation process. It is definitely better than tap water or bottled water.

DI water is also very low in impurities but has also been stripped of its normally occurring ions. Exposing many substances to DI water is detrimental since the DI water will "suck" ions away from most metals and actually lead to erosion of the base metal. You can happily drink distilled water, but don't try it with DI water, as it will really screw up your internals.

Distilled water is just one step towards DI water. I work with ultra high purity water (essentially ion-free water) everyday. DI water does not pull ions out of metals to any great extent. However, drinking a lot of it will mess up electrolyte balance in a person's body for sure.

Distilled water is just one step towards DI water. I work with ultra high purity water (essentially ion-free water) everyday. DI water does not pull ions out of metals to any great extent. However, drinking a lot of it will mess up electrolyte balance in a person's body for sure.

Both are slightly acidic, which is what i was getting at 😊. In a perfect world we woule have water that is purely neutral on the pH scale...

Both are slightly acidic, which is what i was getting at 😊. In a perfect world we woule have water that is purely neutral on the pH scale...

If DI or distilled water is air-saturated, the CO2 content can push the pH to as low as ~5, but deaerated water (water without any air) is very close to neutral pH, maybe 6.5. In addition, pure water has very little pH buffering capacity which means that its very easy to change the pH of pure water with small additions of acids or bases.

But regardless, aluminum and copper both like a slightly alkaline pH for corrosion resistance.

Back