• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling issue

big bird runs a totally stock cooling system, 4.7 stroker pushing 37's in every environment. never gets warm.

goatman runs a totally stock cooling system on his KOH buggy with a 4.6 stroker and 40's. closed system, factory pressure bottle.. no problems.

we did have problems on 4643 with the 375 hp superstroker Russ Pottenger built us, but the problem has more to do with our funky plumbing than anything else.. we're having a hard time getting air out the system.

That one is getting a Griffon and ZJ fan clutch, but thats a really built motor running at 6500 RPM's ... it warrants a little extra. :)

To OP, how is the sensor to the gauge? I had the same problem and it ended up being the sensor was just reading higher. Maybe get a shop that has a fancy temp readr on it and see if the gauge is reading correctly.

If you have a problem, electric fans aren't going to fix it.
If a ZJ clutch doesn't fix it, you need to go back to step one and check your parts again.
What gear/tire combo are you running?

Did a back flush with 4 gallons of 50/50 mix and put a oem tstat in tonight and drove home still sits between 210 and the next mark and it was 75° out verified with IR meter also verified that the fan has resistance when the motors hot so i think the clutch is ok kinda baffled now on what is going on ????

The fan should have some resitance all the time, and more when warm. Does yours have a seepage stain? Get the Napa regular ZJ fan clutch, snap off the death knives, and report back
Alternatively, park your jeep ass up on a steep hill, I had a stobborn bubble that I couldn't get out, until my rig got a slight afterboil parking on aq step downhill after a hard day at low speed. Ran nice and cool since then. Chevy made special bleeder valves to deal with bubbles, wonder if installing one would help.

the ZJ clutch has big raised ribs on it that will cause problems if you don't grab them with a pair of pliers and snap them off. compare it to your stock one and you will see.

FWIW I think the ZJ clutch on a stock motor is not worth doing. mine stayed cool on 33s beating the hell out of it in the desert at 120+ temps all stock. fix the problems before sticking band aids on it.

That's what I'm trying to do I'm just baffled at would it could be everything has been replaced except the water pump and heater hoses and core

i thought i posted earlier that the waterpump may be corroded? or was that another thread... so many XJ cooling threads heh.

buildup on the impeller of the waterpump can impede coolant flow and cause the rig to overheat. I would at least pull it off and take a look, even if its fine the gasket is only a couple of bucks and all it will cost you is your time and some coolant.

sounds like you installed a crappy radiator?

Many years ago I had a radiator from radiator barn to replace a leaking radiator. The 4.0 overheated the very next long run. Two weeks later I realised half the radiator was very hot to the touch and the other half was death cold. I replaced the radiator and the high temperatures dissapear.

That's what I'm trying to do I'm just baffled at would it could be everything has been replaced except the water pump and heater hoses and core

you said the problems started when you changed radiators.

change back, or borrow someones spare to test.

How about finding the source of your cooling problem and fixing it?

You are not going to find a better setup than the one AMC and Chrysler provided. PERIOD.

Anything time or money invested getting away from that setup is a waste of your time, if you're getting warm now you are going to get warm then, probably warmer, and then have to undo it later.

well i guess its narrowed down to the pump or csf 2 row radiator now both i dont mind threw money out to fix but i dont wanna fix what isnt broken so im leaning towards the orginal waterpump is it possible for it to just not being pumping enough fluid

As stated by grimm earlier, pop it off and take a look. Is the impeller clogged with crud?
Reading comprehension, do you have it?

Back