• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

You can simply slap it in there - it bolts right up. Unbolt the old one, make sure you unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate, put a torque converter in the new one and make sure it's seated properly, stuff the new transmission in and bolt it up (bolt torque converter up last), then install driveshafts. It's easiest if you bolt the transfer case to the transmission BEFORE installing the transmission, and you'll want to unbolt the exhaust from the header and drop it down out of your way for the whole job.

Correct, the AW4 came in two editions - 4x4 and 2x4. The only real differences are the output shaft and tail housing, but it's simpler to swap in a 4x4 one than it is to convert.

Parts:
* 4wd transmission (for yours, you want one out of a 98 to 01 donor)
* transfer case (you want one out of a 96 to 01 donor)
* goofy transfer case shift linkage parts and handle, bezel, etc
* make sure you get the wiring harness from the connector up near the tranny dipstick tube all the way down to the transfer case. If you don't, it's not a big deal, your part-time indicator light on the dashboard just won't work, but you might as well get it while you're getting everything else.
* rear driveshaft (you need one from a 96 through 01 with 4wd, automatic, 4.0L motor, and same rearend you have)
* front driveshaft (you need one from a 96 through 01 with 4wd, automatic, 4.0L)
* front axle (same recommendations as I gave for the OP, above - check your rearend to find out what gear ratio you have first to make sure, but it's almost certainly 3.55 gears, the most common ever used on the XJ)

If you shop carefully and pull most of the parts yourself you should be able to get EVERYTHING for less than 500 bucks. I'd budget 150 bucks for a transmission, 100 for a transfer case, 30 for the wiring harness and linkage for it, 100 for a front axle, 20 for each driveshaft. Try craigslist, a local you-pull-it junkyard, the NAC Classifieds subforum, etc.

AW4 refers to the trans itself regardless of it being 2wd or 4wd, the 2wd has a long tailshaft and an extension housing, where as the 4wd has a short tailshaft and no extension housing.

Sweet =) That's what I'm talking about! I much rather get the entire units ready to bolt in, than to deal with the myriad of gears inside.

I'm checking local junkyards, but I am primarily checking online (motors.ebay and craigs). As long as I can do the whole shebang for under the difference of buying a used 4x4 jeep and selling (GASP!) my current one, I'm game for the cost. The "boss" won't chew me much, and I get to keep mah baby =D

I appreciate your attention, and indulging my newbie-ness. Will report on progress, as soon as I get it underway.

Last edited:
Parts:
* 4wd transmission (for yours, you want one out of a 98 to 01 donor)
* transfer case (you want one out of a 96 to 01 donor)
* goofy transfer case shift linkage parts and handle, bezel, etc
* make sure you get the wiring harness from the connector up near the tranny dipstick tube all the way down to the transfer case. If you don't, it's not a big deal, your part-time indicator light on the dashboard just won't work, but you might as well get it while you're getting everything else.
* rear driveshaft (you need one from a 96 through 01 with 4wd, automatic, 4.0L motor, and same rearend you have)
* front driveshaft (you need one from a 96 through 01 with 4wd, automatic, 4.0L)
* front axle (same recommendations as I gave for the OP, above - check your rearend to find out what gear ratio you have first to make sure, but it's almost certainly 3.55 gears, the most common ever used on the XJ)

What about for a '96.

Last post on page 1:
Trans could have come from any 91 to 96 and even 97s with minor work, tcase from any 96 to 01.

For the remaining stuff: front shaft from any auto 4.0 87-99, rear shaft from any auto 4.0 with the same rear axle as yours 96-01, front axle any auto 4.0 87-01 but 95-99 auto 4.0 and 92-94 auto 4.0 with abs are the best. For things to look nice get the 4x4 linkages and handle off your friend's 96, or any 87-96 4x4 auto 4.0.

Only real difference from the list I gave faraiwe is you want an early transmission not a late one, and cosmetically it would be better to get a 4wd lever from an 87-96, unless you do the 97+ center console swap.

thanks, I would like to do the console swap because i like it a little better and it has cup holders :D. I'm glad there are guys like you who are willing to help guys like me, most of the people I've talked to in person don't go into detail on what years will work and any problems I may run into.

the trans and t-case may work if it's not the eight cyl.....the same model year break points still apply. I'm thinking driveshafts won't work but the front axle might. I'd wait to see if others chime in.

I will, but looking at them at our local junk yard they look very similar front suspension wise but I don't expect much else to work

I believe the axles to be the same, Im just not positive. (possible difference in axle width)I'm fairly sure of the trans and X-fer are compatible.

axle is the same width afaik, but probably a low pinion, skip it.
transmission will bolt up, but electrically not compatible and they are known for blowing frequently and sucking massive quantities of arse, skip it.
transfer case is good if it's a 231 or 242 (I think only the 242 and 249 were available in the ZJ though...?) but if it's a 249, skip it, they aren't as reliable.
front driveshaft is probably the wrong length.
rear driveshaft is definitely the wrong length.

I'd skip the whole thing and find a different donor, unless you verify the front axle is a high pinion and can part the rest of the rig out for at least 200 or 300 bucks.

ZJ Grands front axle will bolt in, but is a low-pinion D30 I'm told. It would be best to look for a HP axle out of an XJ.

As mentioned, you really need access to a donor vehicle to get all the little bits and pieces. Driveshafts,xfer case mounting linkage, etc. This is even more important for those considering a auto<->manual swap, btw.

The 94 Grand would have a Chrysler auto tranny, generally not that reliable compared to the AW4. Trans computer would be different too, although the computer swap may be straight forward, it may require some rewiring. Not sure how the engine computer would react to the different trans computer.

For figuring costs for a parts-upgrade versus a Craigslist-upgrade, don't forget to figure in your time. If you enjoy mechanical work (I do) then it's not a big deal. If you're not-mechanically inclined, watching Craigslists might be a better idea.

yeah i'm not gonna get anything from the ZJ, and I already have a 96 trans and transfer case, just need the front axle assembly, both driveshafts, and the interior odds and ends.

Back