• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting a 2000 cherokee to a 80's cherokee

its called RESPECT. hes respects his parents wishes because they are his parents and because they bought him a nice vehicle. nothing wrong with that

I didn't say it was sad that he is respecting his parents wishes. Just sad that he is 18 and they are paying for him to have a car. $6,000? Thats just ridiculous as a graduation present, or hell, any "present".

I didn't say it was sad that he is respecting his parents wishes. Just sad that he is 18 and they are paying for him to have a car. $6,000? Thats just ridiculous as a graduation present, or hell, any "present".

sounds like someone is tad jealous. my grandmother bought me mine as a gift for $8500 back in 01

I got mine "sorta" as a present. My parents said "we thought your tuition was going to be x this last year, you did well enough that scholarships and grants covered more than we expected, what's left is to help you get your first apartment and a car." I immediately gave a thousand of it back to cover money I'd borrowed from them to pay my taxes one year (oops. internship didn't withhold and sent me a 1099. I was pretty screwed) and to cover gas for interviews plus repairs they had to do to the vehicle I had been borrowing for a year and a half, what was left covered a decent amount of the $2400 I spent buying my rustbucket XJ. Since then I've probably put four or five grand into fixing various problems it came with, replacing things, upgrades, lifting it...

I can see why you are limited to what you can buy - I still think you're doing the wrong thing. Don't screw around with a nice looking XJ, daily drive that one and when you have a few hundred bucks stashed somewhere, head for craigslist and pick up a $400 special to do whatever you want with.

ok wow I was totally not trying to be a smart ass!

ok anyways Im not drastically changing anything, the front clip is just a little cracked up and dented, figured this would be cool. and im just going to slap on some new badging.

And regaurding the 6k...thats nothing. one of my other friends parents got him a brand new Honda....about 18k!! (yeah I almost got sick too).

and the Jeep I have now is worth a shitload more then 6k
-Dana 60's
-RK 3 link
-Rustys 8 inch coils
-Rustys 6 inch leafs
-RK 2 inch shackles
-Bilstein 5150's
-Rear ARB and ARB compressor
-Front Lock-Right
-Warn Locking Hubs
-Warn 5000 winch
-5.13 gearing
-AA SYE
-Tom woods front and rear
-rebuilt brakes all around
-148K miles and new head and new bearings.

----I looked everyday for almost 6 months before this thing came along.

Who would pay 18k for a Honda? :looney:

Yeah I know its so stupid, they dont even have that much money. they are foreign and his dad hates american cars and hates used cars. he is the type of person that thinks everyone is trying to rip him off.

I always think why everyone doesn't have a cherokee. relatively safe, CHEAP, reliable, lots available used....you cant go wrong.

Your just mad because you priced you Audi 1k too high :gag::D

FYI, My mom allowed me to get any car that had airbags. I just like the look of the front clip and the chrome 3D emblems of the early XJ's.
So, your mom wouldn't let you get a car that didn't have airbags because it is a safety feature, yet she let you get a drastically altered vehicle, that is lifted 8", and has a raised centered of gravity, making it less stable on corners, high speed evasive maneuvers, etc.?
Let us know how those air bags help when the Jeep is on its roof.

austinaubinoe said:
Oh and Im way to lazy to spray and wetsand. im just going to try to blend in the new fenders with some even coats of spray-paint.
Hahaha.... That's laughable. (Because its not going to look close)

yeah... surface prep is 90% of a good paintjob. The other 10% is what paint you use and shooting it well.

Now im interested, why would it not look close. If I sanded and primed the fenders, the hit them with a couple light coats of factory spray paint, then a couple light coats of clear, it would be the same color. Do you mean it would just be darker?

Oh and I get that I have a high truck, but it drives well. Im easy on the gas and im very cautious. Still unsafe I get it, but airbags are better then no airbags right? And im planning on a Rock Hard 4X4 cage as soon as I get the funds.

I'd rather not have air bags especially on a xj that gets wheeled at all, to much risk of them blowing up in your face when wheeling it. If it was most of us as you've seen I wouldn't change the front end to an earlier model as everyone's going for the later model. If the one you have now is cracked or damaged or things like that then best to sand it down and use a little glass to repair it then repaint it as close as you can. For the painting I would recommend using a light gray primer as it will help the color that gets sprayed on be slightly lighter as well.

yeah, I blew up a brake line and folded my bumper, fender, corner of the front inner fender, and broke my header panel on a guardrail and the airbag didn't go off. I'm glad, too, because then it would have cost me 30 bucks more to fix with junkyard parts! :D

some parts stores can color match and mix paint and put it in rattle cans for you. I have had excellent results doing this. just be clean and patient and do a good sanding job and you will be fine. put the clear on thick (many coats i mean) and wet sand and buff it. I agree with you that the older ones look better, the 97+ is too plain for me, but to each his own as they say. Good luck!

Crown Auto on the Black Horse Pike in Cardiff will mix your factory paint code while you wait in a size you specify. I've had mine done so often they know me by name ... :D

OP, if you were not on the opposite side of the country I would gladly trade you parts off my XJ for yours (= I have emblems and stuff that I am not using if you want to buy.

Crown Auto on the Black Horse Pike in Cardiff will mix your factory paint code while you wait in a size you specify. I've had mine done so often they know me by name ... :D
My local AutoZone staff is about the same... they joke around about what's wrong with the Jeep every time I walk through the door. Luckily, I just convinced a friend to buy a 91 MJ that needs even more work than mine, so I can blame it on someone else's vehicle now :D

Yes, I've had to work for everything I've ever had. So I'm bitter at the world.................:rolleyes:

same boat here but If he respects his parents and doesn't do the whole Mommy i want another car every 6 months thing no harm, no foul!

I say get a chrome grille off of ebay and some older style badges and call it a day!

Last edited:
Back