• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer Scanner for RENIX Systems

SPVFD47 said:
I was just looking at the wiring diagrams on the yahoo group just a sec ago. You're right theres only 1 at the diag port. Although, for the 2.5 it doesn't say anything about the trans, it says that pin 15 isn't used, where on the 4.0 thats the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis". The stuff looks identical to what the Clintons books have. The Clintons and Haynes books are fairly right but I've noticed some mistakes in them before. I don't have a fsm, wish I did. I do have a Mitchells Service Manual that I believe takes its info from the Jeep FSM. I'll dig out the Mitchell book in the morning.

That's because the 2.46L didn't use the AW4 - I think it used the TF727. Hydraulically controlled, not electronic.

Mitchell makes good manuals - I have several. Chilton's is a good beginner's book, and Haynes I usually used to even up the odd leg on my workbenches. It's not worth much else...

5-90

My 2.5 4cyl uses the AW4 Tranny. I think its only the 90's that do. 89 and early 4 cyl's and v6's use something else I think . I know its definately electronically controled cause the TCU is under the glove box.

SPVFD47 said:
My 2.5 4cyl uses the AW4 Tranny. I think its only the 90's that do. 89 and early 4 cyl's and v6's use something else I think . I know its definately electronically controled cause the TCU is under the glove box.

Oh. I'd thought the AW4 was only stuck behind the AMC242 - more fool me!

Just for fun - check the pan. Provide pic if you can, because most automatics are identified by pan shape.

I think the TF727 may have had an electronic version, but I didn't think it ended up in the Jeep. It's sort of like the Chevvy trannies - the THM700R4 became the 4L60E, for instance. Same box and guts, just added electronic control (I think I got that number right...)

5-90

According to the Jeep Tech Transmission page
"The AW4 four speed automatic transmission was used in 1987 to 1990 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), & Jeep Comanche with 2.5L & 4.0L engines. The AW4 was also used in 1991 through 1992 Jeep Comanche & 1991 through 1998 Jeep Cherokee & 1993 through 1993.5 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L engines."

"The TF 727 was used in full sized Jeeps (SJs and J series pickups) from 1980-1983. From 1984-1992, the 727 was standard in trucks with the AMC 360 V8 and optional in trucks with the AMC 258. It uses the standard AMC bolt pattern. The case is 16" long and 14 bolts hold in the pan."

Doesn't say anything about the electronics on the AW4, but what I've seen all Cherokees with Autos from 87-90 seem to have the power/comfort switch which makes me think the AW4 is the only tranny to have that option. The Chiltons or Haynes manual don't really have any info on the specific transmissions.

Back