• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commander sighting

I've checked out a couple as they are trickling in at dealers. Aside from the pseudo-Cherokee styling, nothing really sets this aparts as a Jeep as far as I can tell.

I would never spend that kind of money on essentially an AWD mini-van. Once you have decided its okay to spend over 35k on a 4x4, it better have a solid front axle and a turbo diesel under the hood.

For SoCal folks, there's a Commander at Rusnak Jeep in Pasadena right now. Silver, brand-new, etc. etc. etc.

Not real happy with it, having had a chance to spend up-close and personal time with it. Others' comments apply.

I stopped by at my local dealer today to get a better look at the Commander. Even though some of you disagree, i'm impressed with the overall styling of it. I'm not too sure if the one I was in was the six or one of the eight cylinders. The interior was alright, the center console kind of reminded me of my XJ. As far as the bling factor, there's plenty but nowhere near enough where you should get sick over it. Give it a few years, some overlays will be in the aftermarket. There's plenty of room, almost as much as my brothers suburban. There were two things that I did not like about it, 1. the huge dash 2. the big headrests on the second row. It's also kind of hard to see out of, due to the huge dash. There's an excess of plastic on it aswell. Like I said, give it a years. I'm sure someone is already designing bumpers for it. There's a tow hook in the back, and two loops in the front. Overall, I really like this Jeep. I plan on buying either a Commander or a Rubicon Unlimited.

uvaldetxj said:
There's plenty of room, almost as much as my brothers suburban.

Do you mean leg and shoulder room? Cargo room behind the rear seats (with seats up) was just as lame as a third-row equipped Exploder.

DC just had a few in moab about a week ago and i couldn't really tell the difference from them and the H3's that were there.

Ugh - I rode by the local D-C dealer this afternoon and stopped in to check out their Durangos...errr...H2s...errr...Commanders. I crawled around it for awhile and was amazed to learn that if you ride a bike into a dealership, the leeches won't even approach you. I'll have to remember that later on. Anyway, I swear the Commander looks like the illegitimate love child of an H2 and a Durango, with a little Scion xB thrown in the bloodline somwhere.
barf.gif

I got stuck behind a plastic H3 yesterday...I must say I was highly impressed by the spring under design work.

Good Idea.

A maytag Fridge box is more capable off road, IMO.

I spotted a Commander today in Carbondale, IL. Absher Motors.

I stopped to check it out. Looks like to just rolled off the truck, still had all of the protective plastic on it. I was impresed, didn't figue I'd like form the stuff I had seen on the web. It was decked out with all the bells and whistles....Sticker was $35,300..ouch!

I've yet to see one in person, I'm wondering if the gas prices, still hovering around $3/gal have anything to do with it. I also heard compact car sales are at an all time high.

I have to go to the jeep dealership anyway for a part next week, I'll take a look around.

As much as we love our XJ's and MJ's, we need to realize something. The chances of Daimler Chysler bringing back the XJ's and MJ's as we know them are slim to none.

I want a brand new XJ just as bad as the person next to me, but it's not going to happen. As much as everyone here doesn't want to admit it, we just need to adapt to the "new blood".

I myself can't see myself driving, much less buying anything but a Jeep. Whether it be ; Wrangler, Grand, or Commander, i'm going to get a brand new Jeep sometime soon.

I really hope everyone here is as loyal to Jeep as I am.

uvaldetxj said:
As much as we love our XJ's and MJ's, we need to realize something. The chances of Daimler Chysler bringing back the XJ's and MJ's as we know them are slim to none.

I want a brand new XJ just as bad as the person next to me, but it's not going to happen. As much as everyone here doesn't want to admit it, we just need to adapt to the "new blood".

I myself can't see myself driving, much less buying anything but a Jeep. Whether it be ; Wrangler, Grand, or Commander, i'm going to get a brand new Jeep sometime soon.

I really hope everyone here is as loyal to Jeep as I am.

I disagree with you on this one Uvalde.

Jeep created a loyal following by building a very specific kind of vehicle- one that generally emphasized ruggedness and off road capability; sometimes at the expense of comfort or convenience . During the AMC years they could be quircky but they always had the basic foundation for an excellent 4x4. Now that DCX has almost completely deviated from that model they are essentially building the same thing as dozens of other manufacturers. The Libby, '05+ GC and Commander are not doing anything that perhaps other SUVs aren't doing just as well if not better.

You can be loyal to Jeep just for the name if you want to - countless guys here in NC drive Chebbie trucks because Dale and Dale Jr. drive Chevy. Whatever floats your boat. I don't however think that what DCX is putting out is Jeep enough to earn Jeep loyalty.

To continue the hijack. I agree that DCX has done a wonderful job of ruining what Jeep was. But I will tell you this. Wait till the new wranglers come out. Byby straight six! Then DCX will have trashed the JEEP name almost completly.

I am a jeep person. But as they wear out, guess what we are getting. Bought a ford mustang last week. Sold the ZJ and YJ for that one. And my XJ is on a very very long backburner. Only have one jeep round here now. 2 chevys and 2 fords. Whats the world comming to!? :laugh3:

Saw a commander today...............

All blinged out!!!! (almost drove into a ditch unintentionally)

Looks just like a blinged out H3!

DC has ruined it......

Well, they built it for a target buyer and they've reached them.
The wife saw a commercial for the Commander and said, "That looks neat."

On a completely different tangent...

Friend of mine came by today...

Parked a new Hemi Charger in my driveway...

Sweet!!!

Just too bad it doesn't look more like a 60's/early 70's Charger...

Back