• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cobra CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cobra CB ILLEGAL power thread

Zuki-Ron said:
By FCC regulations, you are allowed 5 watts on the CB band.

It shows poor taste to a) encourge folks to do what is illegal, b) act like it's OK to do so.

The fines are actually quite stiff for modifying a CBs power, and using it. Those who have been caught, mainly because of interference claims to the FCC, have had their equipment confiscated, and their bank accounts modified accordingly.

FYI

Ron

Ya and speeding is ill-legal too......so is smoking in alot of places......as a matter of fact almost everything is becoming ill-legal.:rattle: :conceited :sure:

Zuki-Ron said:
By FCC regulations, you are allowed 5 watts on the CB band.

It shows poor taste to a) encourge folks to do what is illegal, b) act like it's OK to do so.

The fines are actually quite stiff for modifying a CBs power, and using it. Those who have been caught, mainly because of interference claims to the FCC, have had their equipment confiscated, and their bank accounts modified accordingly.

FYI

Ron
An untuned CB is worthless. You won't find a truck on the road without a simple tune up on his radio. It's the big linear amps that are the problem. Idiots talking on hundreds of watts. You can walk into any CB shop and talk basic tuneup and power increases without fear of FCC but start talking big amps or swaping in huge output transistors and you may get questioned if they think you may be the law. All radios need to be brought into a CB shop for a tune or you will hate even the best ones. Best 25 bucks you can spend. Next best thing is a Road King mike so people can understand you better but thats another 60 bucks.

Stumpalump said:
An untuned CB is worthless. You won't find a truck on the road without a simple tune up on his radio. It's the big linear amps that are the problem. Idiots talking on hundreds of watts. You can walk into any CB shop and talk basic tuneup and power increases without fear of FCC but start talking big amps or swaping in huge output transistors and you may get questioned if they think you may be the law. All radios need to be brought into a CB shop for a tune or you will hate even the best ones. Best 25 bucks you can spend. Next best thing is a Road King mike so people can understand you better but thats another 60 bucks.

Every single pro-hop up post here is the typcial BS you hear.

The facts are as I stated and no reputable FCC licensed technician will modify your radio past manufacture specifications. I have been using and installing (at one time for a living) CB radios for the last 30 years and I will tell you that the best "tune up" you can make is not to your radio, but to your antenna system. It is all installation and not power.

xjtrailrider said:
When I go 2 meter the CB's will go in the trash and the 2 meter will be left legal
You don't seem to know what you are talking about. 1st of all, 2meters is a Amateur Radio band, and requires a license to use. 2nd of all, talking about leaving a 2m rig "legal" is a unmeaningful statement as Amateur radio tranceivers do not, by definition, need to be FCC type approved for the service. 3rdly in some places, you are much more likely to get help on the CB rather than using the Ham bands due to the shear number of CBs out there and the distances between 2mtr repeaters in some places.

Ron

Last edited:

Zuki-Ron said:
You don't seem to know what you are talking about. 1st of all, 2meters is a Amateur Radio band, and requires a license to use. 2nd of all, talking about leaving a 2m rig "legal" is a unmeaningful statement as Amateur radio tranceivers do not, by definition, need to be FCC type approved for the service. 3rdly in some places, you are much more likely to get help on the CB rather than using the Ham bands due to the shear number of CBs out there and the distances between 2mtr repeaters in some places.

Ron

Ron, I know I need my liscense and I'm working on that, I'll learn more about 2 meter as I go so i wont argue the other points until I'm more knowledgable. If I still need the CB I'll make room for it somewhere. lol!

xjtrailrider said:
Ron, I know I need my liscense and I'm working on that, I'll learn more about 2 meter as I go so i wont argue the other points until I'm more knowledgable. If I still need the CB I'll make room for it somewhere. lol!

Outstanding ! I PM'd you offering my assistance if you need it.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Every single pro-hop up post here is the typcial BS you hear.

The facts are as I stated and no reputable FCC licensed technician will modify your radio past manufacture specifications. I have been using and installing (at one time for a living) CB radios for the last 30 years and I will tell you that the best "tune up" you can make is not to your radio, but to your antenna system. It is all installation and not power.

Ron
I never walked into a CB shop for a tune up and wasn't tuned up in a few moments. Typical "Im I licenced radio operator so I'm better than you BS". CB's still rule on the trail so you can show up on the next trail ride and talk to your buddy in the next state but I'll still be talking to the rigs on the trail with me on a finely tuned by ANY real CB shop CB radio. The antenna helps a lot but while your getting your radio tuned have them set your SWR (Standing wave ratio) while you are there. All that is is raising or lowering you antenna a small amount. Somtimes they cut off a quater inch or so to get it right. Most shops will do a quick tune of your antenna as part of a tune up but ask first or they may try to charge you a few more bucks for somthing that takes a few moments.

Stumpalump said:
I never walked into a CB shop for a tune up and wasn't tuned up in a few moments. Typical "Im I licenced radio operator so I'm better than you BS". CB's still rule on the trail so you can show up on the next trail ride and talk to your buddy in the next state but I'll still be talking to the rigs on the trail with me on a finely tuned by ANY real CB shop CB radio...

Just because someone comes on here and breaks up your little chat about illegal radio mods doesn't make them, to paraphrase you, 'a licensed radio operator who thinks he's better than you'.

You assume a whole lot in thinking that I don't have a CB in my rig, or that by having a HAM rig in my vehicle automatically means I can talk to somebody in another state, or that I have a "better than thou" attitude toward CBers.

Believe me, I have heard all the typical BS from all those who run out of band, and with increased power, and with power mics turned up so loud their distorted, and with linears, and have found in the end, it is exactly that, BS. I assert again, no reputable CB shop with a FCC licensed technician will tune your radio outside the FCC designated limits; though I have no doubt they exist, the internet is full of them. I used to work in a CB shop and we turned away requests for power modifications and out of band operations. They got what the FCC allowed them, no more.

The bottom line is that a good install is worth any amount of power modifications you do. Proper antenna type, location and antenna system tuning are vital to proper signal radiation and reception.

As far as labeling me, or saying that "everybody does it", or any of the other myrad of reasons folks use to justify their CB modifications, I simply point to the rules.

PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents
Subpart D_Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service
Sec. 95.410 (CB Rule 10) How much power may I use?
(a) Your CB station transmitter power output must not exceed the
following values under any conditions:
AM (A3)--4 watts (carrier power) SSB--12 watts (peak envelope power)
(b) If you need more information about the power rule, see the
technical rules in subpart E of part 95.
(c) Use of a transmitter which has carrier or peak envelope power in
excess of that authorized voids your authority to operate the station.

I find that government regulations, in general, are meant to be self policing. The nation is so big, and the enforcement entiries are so small that they need to trust that the majority of folks want to do what is right. It has been my experience that that is a good assumption on the Fed's part.

You do what you want, but I find that the same mentality that follows folks who do this sort of activity are the same folks who wheel in wetlands in MN (It is illegal to do so), or wheel in construction sites, trespass on other folks land, or cheat on their taxes.

Ron

Last edited:
i have the Cobra 18WxST wedged between the passanger seat and console... i really like the features it has

There's an awful lot of editing I'd have to do, so I'm just going to say this once:

It's not about "licensed operator vice not" - it's about the FCC coming down H-A-R-D on violators - whether it's HAM radiomen operating out of band, unlicensed pirate stations, or CB operators with footwarmers. Tweaking radios to higher output is illegal for anyone - and the FCC is not gentle about issuing fines if you're caught (tweaking a CB can start at around five grand, and you're playing the odds if you're running one. Care to see how long you can hide from the Law of Averages?)

Now, there are probably legal power amplifiers out there, or you can get a radio with a higher PEP transmit power, but these amplifiers are also designed to reduce interference with other sources, reduce or eliminate TVI, reduce or eliminate intermod, and usually come with restrictions on use anyhow (since you can't totally eliminate interference. Even if the transmitter and amplifier are fully shielded against internal emissions, the emitted signal is still likely to cause trouble - and you can usually pick it up with a TV. It's also an old trick for catching tactical radio traffic - just because the traffic is encrypted doesn't mean you can't tell something is going on. You used to also be able to pick up cellular telephones on old TVs - not because of the transmit power, but because of the way radio works to begin with.)

So, I'll go through and edit this later - but if I see one more post about boosting transmit power, I'll just shut it down instead. The FCC also goes after places where illegal mods are discussed - and I don't want NAXJA to get clobbered (the last discussion board I heard of that got caught for discussing illegal mods - violations of Part 97 on itenerant freqs, as I recall - got nailed to the tune of about $200K. Getting assessed for $200K would shut us down - which is the idea that the FCC is going after. I don't want that - you don't want that either...)

The face of this thread will change massively, if it stays up. This is the cutoff - there will be no more discussion of UA radio mods. This can also be considered a warning to everyone - further discussion of illegal radio mods will result in a recommendation for disciplinary action against the poster. We can't afford to take the chance, you know...

Play nice, now.

BTW - "Tuning" a radio is different from "boosting." Anything that is mass-produced has room for improvement in individual units - that's what "tuning" is about. You're not changing any componentry or the signal characteristics, you're just doing a better job of adjusting the internal settings than the factory did - because you're not in anywhere near as much of a hurry as they were. That can result in greater effective power without actually increasing the power, because you're improving the signal envelope. Nothing at all illegal there - you're just setting your equipment for peak efficiency. As long as you're not boosting the signal, you're good.

Last edited:
GhostDakota said:
Post up what you have here (only Cobra brand please). I have a Uniden Pro 520XL and it works, but I want better. Looking for something "affordable", but maybe with some cool options. Not sure what's out there option-wise for Cobra CB's.... I am researching their website right now as I type though. Thanks all!

I'm trying to figure out why in the first place you would want to replace a radio that just flat works, with a consumerized piece of junk from Made in China Maxon?????

The Uniden 510-520-530XL series radios are durable, useful, well-designed, and will survive in our types of usage.

Less can be said about the Maxon/Cobra radios. This company has done nothing positive with the Cobra brand name since purchasing it. Nothing more than flashing lights or light-up displays have been added. Their WX radios are nearly useless due to known flaws. Introduction of radios that are illegal to sell in he US....

5-90 said:
Now, there are probably legal power amplifiers out there, or you can get a radio with a higher PEP transmit power, but these amplifiers are also designed to reduce interference with other sources, reduce or eliminate TVI, reduce or eliminate intermod.

For CB service, No there is not, period. Ron already posted the relevant section of Part 97. 4 watts carrier, 12 watts PEP that's it.

5-90 said:
BTW - "Tuning" a radio is different from "boosting." Anything that is mass-produced has room for improvement in individual units - that's what "tuning" is about. You're not changing any componentry or the signal characteristics, you're just doing a better job of adjusting the internal settings than the factory did - because you're not in anywhere near as much of a hurry as they were. That can result in greater effective power without actually increasing the power, because you're improving the signal envelope. Nothing at all illegal there - you're just setting your equipment for peak efficiency. As long as you're not boosting the signal, you're good.

That there is Bill Clinton-grade BS....

In this context, they are reffering to exactly the same thing. You know as well as I do, these 'shops' aren't setting anything for peak effiency....

One more note to a couple of the posters here. The FCC has held that possesion of an illegal radio, or amplifier is probable cause for a case for operation. They hit Pilot and Petro truckstops last year both for selling uncertified radios, IIRC $10k plus fines in both cases.

They also issued a $200k fine and a ceast and desist order against at least one manufacturer of amps, and several shut-downs of sellers in the last year. They siezed an 18-wheeler at the border in near Detroit for an illegal radio being installed in the truck.

The website Jon(5-90) refers to was a CB mod site with explicit instructions on doing these illegal modifications.

Last edited:
Well since I opened my big mouth(or fingers in this case,lol)and inserted my foot. I figure that someone will report me for spite, so my 2 non-stock radios are gone, one wasn't being used anyway, and traded for a nice "tuned" stock Uniden 520. I needed the space for a nice 2meter in a few months.

I appologize for my post both back channel to the mods and now here publicly. I forget somnetimes that this is a public forum and such advice that I gave was inappropriate.

the real nice thing about the Cobra 18WxST is it is able to be installed in the dash being that is a regular sized din and thus it could be installed in dash esspecially on a trial rig

Bla bla bla. Take your radio to any old CB shop and have them peak and tweak it. Call it a tune up if you want. They don't change components inside but they do boost output power 3 or 4 times. All real CB shops do it everyday. It is standard practice to max out, peak,peak and tweek or tune up any radio that comes into a CB shop. Nobody gets busted for anything just like we don't get busted for driving 59 in a 55mph Zone. All this leagle BS is nonsense. FCC never wrote a ticket to anybody for peaking a radio or for using a peaked radio. Put on a big 500-2000 watt amp and all bets are off. Keep the dang thing under 50 watts just like keeping your speed under 65 and you won't be bothered.

Stumpalump said:
Bla bla bla. Take your radio to any old CB shop and have them peak and tweak it. Call it a tune up if you want. They don't change components inside but they do boost output power 3 or 4 times. All real CB shops do it everyday. It is standard practice to max out, peak,peak and tweek or tune up any radio that comes into a CB shop. Nobody gets busted for anything just like we don't get busted for driving 59 in a 55mph Zone. All this leagle BS is nonsense. FCC never wrote a ticket to anybody for peaking a radio or for using a peaked radio. Put on a big 500-2000 watt amp and all bets are off. Keep the dang thing under 50 watts just like keeping your speed under 65 and you won't be bothered.

Wow..... The ignorance in this post is simply amazing....

Noone ever gets busted...

Sales of uncertified equipment:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-272196A1.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-277836A1.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-270807A1.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-269803A1.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-269020A1.html
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-268623A1.html

Jamming/retransmitting :
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-273680A1.html

Operating with Illegal power levels:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-269361A1.html ($10k fine)
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-269018A1.html ($10k fine)

Operating with a non-certifed radio(in a car)
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-267309A1.html

Now that we've established you are speaking from your rear orifice, would you like me to continue to bury under the facts? Or would you like to ignorantly post crap while trying desperately to pretend you have a clue
?

Stumpalump said:

:banghead: Wow. Just wow. Some people never learn. :explosion

:explosion

lockd.gif
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back