• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CNC / DXF files

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have some plans to make a clock out of wood. The gears, the face, everything would be out of wood. I have scanned the files into .pdf format and have tried to convert those into .dxf or .dwg files. The .dxf files look almost like a 4 year old drew them. Any ideas how I can get these files into .dxf format so I can get them to a guy with a CNC lathe. Also, any ideas on where I can find some one to do some CNC on birch ply for cheap. I found a guy but I am not too confident. Any ideas or info would be great.

By the way I an in San Diego, CA.

Thanks guys,

Greg

1) Perhaps importing the original graphic (.jpg or whatever) into AutoCAD may prove fruitful?

2) Check your local community college, and see if they offer courses in CNC. There's usually part of the track called "Special Projects" where students need to do projects that aren't part of regular coursework for credit, so they can show what they learned. Post a missive on the board in the CNC section there and see if you can get a student to do it for you - you get your clock, they get credit for a "non-standard" project, and you both win! You buy the materials, and you're both still out ahead.

Side note - Be sure to ask for the programme after it's written. Should you decide to do the clock in another material (aluminum? Tool steel? Brass or bronze? ABS?) all you have to do is change feeds & speeds, and you'll get a copy of what you had done in wood. G-code is easy to make changes in, once you know what to look for.

Just a thought or two...

I gave the local junior college/community college a call and they weren't able to help me. But I was talking to a guy today who is in some sort of computer training and had studied CAD. He didn't understand what I was talking about but figured it could be done. So...

Does anyone on here work with a CAD program enough that they could convert some PDF's for me?

Back