• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning the Rockers

XJ Stryker said:
Yeah I know Renix is the better engine. I should have said 87 ugh

The Motor is just 21 years old and the PO's didnt take the best of care of it.

running some good synthetics and diesels oils and changing the oil often will eventually get rid of many sludge problems

we used to see MANY 5.0s with sludge issues at work, especially the bronco blocks. those engines are true sludge boxes, we would run 3quarts rotunda diesel oil and a bit over 2 in dex/merc3. we would leave them idling outside for hours with this mixture (ofcourse with a shop fan blowing fullblast intot he radiator, they love to overheat too). drain the oil, change the filter and repeat once or twice. their pcv systems would go mental with the sludge issues, telltale signs

only a handfull of 5.0s have not been recovered from sludge hell, one had rod bearing failure and the other oil pump failure.

THATS BECAUSE FORDS SUCK!!! its been proven. sorry. 5.(point)slow. LOL What a crap box.

There are good Fords. They are in the JY being recycled into Chevrolets. HaHaHa.
Seriously Ford 8.8s and 9" rear ends are pretty stout and Their Taurus fans and Mustang injectors keep our Jeeps running strong. So FoMoCo stuff has a purpose. We use the good stuff and discard the rest.:spin:

Last edited:
90Blue_XJ said:
There are good Fords. They are in the JY being recycled into Chevrolets. HaHaHa.
Seriously Ford 8.8s and 9" rear ends are pretty stout and Their Taurus fans and Mustang injectors keep our Jeeps running strong. So FoMoCo stuff has a purpose. We use the good stuff and discard the rest.:spin:

Don't I know you from sonewhere?!?!

mcnamaag said:
THATS BECAUSE FORDS SUCK!!! its been proven. sorry. 5.(point)slow. LOL What a crap box.

i could write paragraphs about things them ol' jeep inventors halfassed on our cherokee's

i could also write a bunch about how Fomoco and their downfalls...

wait... i could also write about how them bow tie guys have their own bucket of issues as well

it doesnt matter what you drive, it's by no means "unbreakable". some models are just bigger pieces of shit than others hahaha.

tigerSHARK needs to read the original post... and everything that came after it.

XJ Stryker said:
Thanks, I may look in to the kerosene. I had a bad feeling the tranny fluid would eat the seal too quick then i will have leaks everywhere. I have NO leaks underneath this vehicle now. I just pulled the valve cover cause i was bored and i was only running at 20 psi. I think i will drop the oil pan also. Just for good measure. As for pulling the Heads that is getting beyond my technical experience. I would love to help someone do it but there are no people close to me that will assist for beer. lol.

Thanks for your input. I just finished cleaning all 12 push rods and rockers and stuff. That was a job in itself. Since i am getting some help any one know the exact torque specs on those 13mm bolts I took off the rockers. I know the valve cover is 55in lbs.

Thanks

:nono: I think it is beyond your expertise, because the 4.0 only has one head.

Back