• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning the Rockers

Ok now quit padding your post count. :geek:

mcnamaag said:
Will the wifey let you?:dunno:

Real Funny Mister!!! :looser:

:twak:

Mrs XJ Stryker said:
Real Funny Mister!!! :looser:

:twak:

Dang Rob. The wife fighting your battles now? LOL:rolleyes:

After you help Rob out, You can help me with my headliner HAHA, I found some fabric I like.. shoot i might even buy a case

Back to the intent of this thread. I am so old school that I'm pre-school. My dad and I rebuilt an old Chevy 6 cylinder when I was a kid. Back about 1958-59 on what turned out to be my DD in HS. To clean it out before we got started he put a couple quarts of deisel fuel in and finished filling it with oil. Ran it for about ten minutes then drained it. Did that twice before we pulled the valve cover, changeing the filter too each time. When we pulled the valve cover it looked as clean as a new engine inside.

When i got my 68 F250, it had some pretty good sludge in it. I started it up, warmed it up, drained the old oil, changed the filter and put 4 quarts of oil instrad of the 5 that you need. That 5th quart was substituted with a quart of diesel fuel. I started it up,ran it for 15 or 20 minuites, then drained and you should have seen what came out!! did it twice, then put a new filter and new oil in and it was good to go.

The ultimate nitemare, a wife with a login........ :D :D :D

RichP said:
The ultimate nitemare, a wife with a login........ :D :D :D
Does'nt look like she posts up much though, I guess that means hubby is answering correctly. Don't want him to get in hot water with his BOSS!

90Blue_XJ said:
Does'nt look like she posts up much though, I guess that means hubby is answering correctly. Don't want him to get in hot water with his BOSS!

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for :eyes:

Thanks for the great ideas. I got me a cheap filter today. STP cheaper than FRAM this week. Only reason i was thinking about using Rotella is it was good at cleaning and they got it for 10 bucks a gallon this week. It's usually 12 so it is pretty cheap. Quart of diesel fuel eh. I'll try it out along with some motor gunk stuff i got. Vato zone was out of valve cover gaskets today so i have to wait till tomorrow. But the Valve cover is spotless now. Oh yeah are those damn o-rings for the oil filter adapter and dealer part? I couldnt find them at the parts stores

XJ Stryker said:
Thanks for the great ideas. I got me a cheap filter today. STP cheaper than FRAM this week. Only reason i was thinking about using Rotella is it was good at cleaning and they got it for 10 bucks a gallon this week. It's usually 12 so it is pretty cheap. Quart of diesel fuel eh. I'll try it out along with some motor gunk stuff i got. Vato zone was out of valve cover gaskets today so i have to wait till tomorrow. But the Valve cover is spotless now. Oh yeah are those damn o-rings for the oil filter adapter and dealer part? I couldnt find them at the parts stores

Do not use engine flushes. If you do not get them out of there good enough it will harden seals and cause them to weep. Stick with the type F fluid. I had to do all new valve stem seals on my 91 S-10 4x4 with the 350 c.i. TPI Camaro engine. Mechanic who did them said the motor flush kills them everytime. P.S engine had 41,000 miles. Used trans fluid every third oil change with using Mobil 1 from there on out and no problems. I sold it with 297,000 on the odometer and 164,000 on the engine.

Use the diesel in place of at least one Qt of oil. I would use two but it's yours so do as you wish. No motor flush. That's not oil in my opinion. Smell it and you can smell the deisel in it or at least kerosene smell in it. The price is way too high for nothing but kerosene or diesel which is what you are going to use anyway. ATF type F will work but it may take several different changes to get the same results. Let us know how it goes when you do the job.

Thanks I was hoping to get several ideas for this. I do like the Diesel Idea. That valve cover has had seafoam treatment when i first bought the vehicle in mar. So no motor flush. It was only 3 bucks anyway maybe i can take it back and exchange it for a quart of oil. Once again thanks for the Ideas. I hope to start on the cleaning tomorrow or sat. I need to go pick up a shop vac. Yeah i still dont have one. Payday tomorrow woo hoo.

My vote for an all purpose flush is:

1qt MMO
1qt Type F
1qt kerosene
1qt diesel fuel
1qt lucas oil stabilizer
1qt motor oil of your choice

That way you've got all your bases covered :D :eeks1: :roflmao:

(post pictures of your results)

With that much sludge it would take years (if at all) to get it clean that way. Best bet is to just do it. Put in a little elbow grease and scrape it clean.

I just can't see wasting Rotella to clean it. Clean as much of it as you can by hand. Change the oil/filter, use 5qts of oil and onee qt of MMO. Run it a couple of weeks and repeat, then one more time for good measure.
After you get it as clean as it will get then change to Rotella, you can even add MMO to it too.

Back