• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning O2 sensor

muddytires

NAXJA Forum User
MY 89 xj is running lean. The only engine mod is a home brew high flow cone filter.(removed stock air box). Before i go out and buy a new O2 sensor to see if this solves the problem; Can i try to clean the sensor to remove carbon build up or will this damage it, using solvents?

muddytires said:
MY 89 xj is running lean. The only engine mod is a home brew high flow cone filter.(removed stock air box). Before i go out and buy a new O2 sensor to see if this solves the problem; Can i try to clean the sensor to remove carbon build up or will this damage it, using solvents?

Just by a new one. most of the time cleaning will not do anything.

Thanks!!! Does anyone know where i can get a new O2 sensor at a good price? I asked at an Auto zone and remember the price being high.

muddytires said:
Thanks!!! Does anyone know where i can get a new O2 sensor at a good price? I asked at an Auto zone and remember the price being high.

Got one from napa about a year ago...bosch.. $65.00 or so.

It's easy to test a Renix O2 sensor with a voltmeter. The O2 wiring routes right next to the fuel pressure regulator, at the front of the engine. Unwrap the small bundle of wires and locate the gray wire; that's the O2 signal wire. Press a straight pin into the wire, and touch the positive voltmeter probe to the pin, and the negative probe to engine ground. With the engine idleing, the voltage will switch from 0v to 5v once every second, if the O2 sensor is GOOD. A BAD sensor will show either 0v or a steady 5v on this wire.

Since the Renix's didn't have a check engine light, this is the only reliable way to check for a good/bad O2 sensor.

I would have to say you ought to get an OEM one since some people have complained about aftermarket ones not working right. Also DO NOT immerse your 02 sensor in a solvent, it will ruin it. If you clean it, just use a dry old toothbrush or something like that.

Back