• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning an XJ throttle body?

On the notion of grasping at straws I'm going to throw this out there. Did you actually adjust the TPS by twisting it slightly until your readings were correct? Posts 25 and 26 to me read like you know it is supposed to be 4.94 and .83 and cruiser confirmed it for you but an earlier post you had it around .64 which is wrong. If your TPS is reading 4.94 and .83 then disregard.

On the notion of grasping at straws I'm going to throw this out there. Did you actually adjust the TPS by twisting it slightly until your readings were correct? Posts 25 and 26 to me read like you know it is supposed to be 4.94 and .83 and cruiser confirmed it for you but an earlier post you had it around .64 which is wrong. If your TPS is reading 4.94 and .83 then disregard.

Each one is different.

I never adjusted it. I just read it wrong to get the .64, I believe. The "tips" sheet isn't really clear to me...I got readings, but it doesn't tell me what to do with those readings. (see my post #23...I still don't understand this.)

And just the fact that each TPS reads "different" is complete BS to me. WTF is THAT about? "Depending on what box you get your numbers could be different?

Good job, engineering dept.

Each one is different.

I was trying to say he posted what he has and what he should have but never said he adjusted to make his output 17% of his input. OP you simply loosen the two screws holding the TPS to the throttle body and adjust the TPS (twist it) until you have the reading you are supposed to have. All TPS give off a different input voltage which is why it is up to the installer to adjust it to make the output 17% of the input.

Here's a wild idea I just thought of. Wanted to see if it has any merit.

So like i said I rarely drive this jeep. Usually consistently when it rains here in SoCal, but other than that, I'm on one of the morotcycles.

So when I DO fire up the XJ, the battery of course drags a bit at first. It always eventually catches and turns over, but since I don't drive it that much I kinda expect it.

It's a new battery...only have about 18 months on it. For a while about 6 months ago it wouldn't start the jeep, so I jumped it a time or two, then took it back in under the warranty. They checked it and charged it, and basically told me I need to drive it more.

Since so many of these issues seem to be voltage and grounding related, I just now was wondering if a battery that's a bit low, but still plenty charge to start it, could cause a high idle issue. I ask also b/c in the past when I have a high idle, driving a while/commuting to work seems to "fix" it. Does it get "fixed" by the alt. throwing more V's into the battery as I drive during my commute and bring it back up to 100%, thus stopping the high idle?

Don't know. So, I thought I'd ask.

Here's a wild idea I just thought of. Wanted to see if it has any merit.

So like i said I rarely drive this jeep. Usually consistently when it rains here in SoCal, but other than that, I'm on one of the morotcycles.

So when I DO fire up the XJ, the battery of course drags a bit at first. It always eventually catches and turns over, but since I don't drive it that much I kinda expect it.

It's a new battery...only have about 18 months on it. For a while about 6 months ago it wouldn't start the jeep, so I jumped it a time or two, then took it back in under the warranty. They checked it and charged it, and basically told me I need to drive it more.

Since so many of these issues seem to be voltage and grounding related, I just now was wondering if a battery that's a bit low, but still plenty charge to start it, could cause a high idle issue. I ask also b/c in the past when I have a high idle, driving a while/commuting to work seems to "fix" it. Does it get "fixed" by the alt. throwing more V's into the battery as I drive during my commute and bring it back up to 100%, thus stopping the high idle?

Don't know. So, I thought I'd ask.

No. Not on your vintage.

Verdict is in: Damn IAC was the issue. And here are MY issues:

I pulled that thing, cleaned it fully 2x (no carbon on it either time) and it seemed fine. I asked the tech "How the F are you supposed to tell it's bad, other than just swapping in another one?"

"Yeah, that's what you do to check it."

What a PITA this IAC is. Any other way to tell it's working right or not other than buying one to "swap out and check it?"

BTW, Larie @ Jeeps R US in Laguna did the work. I told him I was all over NAXJA with this, and there are a few folks who would be curious to know the answer to it, and he nodded and said "Yep. We all know that site well. Be sure to post up who's doing your work after we solve it."

No way to see it move without the special tool, I suppose.

He also mentioned that my MAP sensor is fine, but has "a burning smell to it", but he says that many from 88-90 did. He says that they are no longer available new, and the junkyard was the only place to get one. So...that's up next...maybe.

Its just a 2-wire motor. Bump it with voltage see which way it moves, turn the wires around to bump it the other way. Be careful with it

I oughta make one. 5 volts with a potentiometer in each direction. Like a progressive switch.

You were only supposed to exercise them while installed on the TB.

No way to see it move without the special tool, I suppose.

He also mentioned that my MAP sensor is fine, but has "a burning smell to it", but he says that many from 88-90 did. He says that they are no longer available new, and the junkyard was the only place to get one. So...that's up next...maybe.

It's a standard GM MAP sensor that mounts to the Jeep's bracket.

Back