• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton Offroad XJ 8" Coil Conversion Long Arm Lift

I measure from unirail-ground and find many XJ with climed lift heights of 5-6 turn out 8-10 ...My first clue is looking at front fenderwell and spotting a 40-tire and shock capable of about 5 or more inches of use-able up stroke .

do you go around with some measuring tape and get under everyones rig in a parking lot to prove them wrong? lol

so you posted a video of some boulders on relatively level ground. lets see some hillclimbs and sketchy obstacles.

heres my last 2 rigs for comparison. similar suspension setup, same axles, same drivetrain. different ride heights and tires.

white was 2.5" of lift (measured from axletube to the unibody rails) and 37's

black one i have never even measured the height, but im guessing its in the 5.5" area on 38's. (still wish it was lower, but i like launching it off jumps and going fast now, its a comprimise)

bonus gate at a rockcrawl comp a few years ago (only rig to drive up with it without issue, wranglers and taller rigs, either backed down, rolled, or had to take several attempts)
n226300669_111184_6230871.jpg

all the other rigs that took this line either took out the cone, or rolled.
5736_687273077194_11322778_40712451_4922808_n.jpg

heres a pic at ride height if you want to measure
6088_505044891094_226300669_111177_7143933_n.jpg

375610_518146235894_226300669_299469_1330689766_n.jpg

Theres a reason all the competitive rigs in most any sport are as low as they can get away with, be it rock crawling,, rock racing, desert racing, street racing. I think you will find your rig to be much more capable if you drop it down quite a bit.

do you go around with some measuring tape and get under everyones rig in a parking lot to prove them wrong? lol

so you posted a video of some boulders on relatively level ground. lets see some hillclimbs and sketchy obstacles.

heres my last 2 rigs for comparison. similar suspension setup, same axles, same drivetrain. different ride heights and tires.

white was 2.5" of lift (measured from axletube to the unibody rails) and 37's

black one i have never even measured the height, but im guessing its in the 5.5" area on 38's. (still wish it was lower, but i like launching it off jumps and going fast now, its a comprimise)

bonus gate at a rockcrawl comp a few years ago (only rig to drive up with it without issue, wranglers and taller rigs, either backed down, rolled, or had to take several attempts)
n226300669_111184_6230871.jpg

all the other rigs that took this line either took out the cone, or rolled.
5736_687273077194_11322778_40712451_4922808_n.jpg

heres a pic at ride height if you want to measure
6088_505044891094_226300669_111177_7143933_n.jpg

375610_518146235894_226300669_299469_1330689766_n.jpg

Theres a reason all the competitive rigs in most any sport are as low as they can get away with, be it rock crawling,, rock racing, desert racing, street racing. I think you will find your rig to be much more capable if you drop it down quite a bit.

Maybe so...I'll make changes as I run it and find what works best...1 flop at a time .

I measure from unirail-ground and find many XJ with climed lift heights of 5-6 turn out 8-10 ...My first clue is looking at front fenderwell and spotting a 40-tire and shock capable of about 5 or more inches of use-able up stroke .
lift height = amount lifted by springs, not including added height from tires (which is new tire diameter divided by two, minus 14.) measuring from ground to frame rail also measures height increase due to larger tires.

:lecture: math isn't hard :lecture:

this lack of understanding plus your abuse of the english language makes me wonder if I should listen to you

I don't know...know-how and time don't always go hand in hand , So I bought/paid a shop to do it while I was at work ...But that 3k is shipped and all inclusive everything you need...It's really not that expensive ...It gets spendy at the shop on install I never had shop do work b4...lol...But between the Claytons install and some steering ...7k at the shop 3k on lift parts ... Needless to say I'll be making time for the cage work...lol

So you're 10k into the lift and steering? :eek:

I'm into my whole XJ ~half that, incuding coilovers at all four corners, nine inch & 44 both geared and locked, new 35s on beadlocks, full hybrid cage, etc etc etc... Of course it has taken a great deal of my own time to get there.

So you're 10k into the lift and steering? :eek:

I'm into my whole XJ ~half that, incuding coilovers at all four corners, nine inch & 44 both geared and locked, new 35s on beadlocks, full hybrid cage, etc etc etc... Of course it has taken a great deal of my own time to get there.

Yep...that's the cost of dropping it off at a shop ...lol .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QId6cZySf3c&feature=endscreen&NR=

I recall this ZJ from back when I had a ZJ ,and it was said to be 2 tall ,but seemed to work very well...it's 7ft tall 85 wide my xj is under 6,6 90-wide and fits in the garage ...Food for thought ,as most run trails not comp courses .;)
a zj? cool story bro
Yep...that's the cost of dropping it off at a shop ...lol .

you could of had alot more for alot less, have fun driving over big boulders that a xj on 33's can

And my 10.0 lifted mall crawler obstacle ...lol...the 9-rated line is on tree line .click immage for video

Well obviously that works ok. Don't you know how trail ratings work?

As long as lift height > trail rating, your vehicle should be OK running that trail.

If lift height < trail rating, you're probably a LCOG sackrider and I'm going to be annoyed being stuck behind you as you bump, grind, and stack your way down the trail.

:moon:

lift height = amount lifted by springs, not including added height from tires (which is new tire diameter divided by two, minus 14.) measuring from ground to frame rail also measures height increase due to larger tires.

:lecture: math isn't hard :lecture:

this lack of understanding plus your abuse of the english language makes me wonder if I should listen to you

Tire size is minimal unless I was taping a rig on 31's ...my measurements are from rigs with big meat not space saver spares .

Well obviously that works ok. Don't you know how trail ratings work?

As long as lift height > trail rating, your vehicle should be OK running that trail.

If lift height < trail rating, you're probably a LCOG sackrider and I'm going to be annoyed being stuck behind you as you bump, grind, and stack your way down the trail.

:moon:

So if I lift 14 inches I should be good in 2wd on a 7 out of 10 rated trail .:greensmok

But the point is he's LCOG and lifting tires every where ...I'm not .

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QId6cZySf3c&feature=endscreen&NR=

I recall this ZJ from back when I had a ZJ ,and it was said to be 2 tall ,but seemed to work very well...it's 7ft tall 85 wide my xj is under 6,6 90-wide and fits in the garage ...Food for thought ,as most run trails not comp courses .;)

heres the best argument i can make with the media thats available to me at the moment lol.

my rig BEFORE the white one (circa 2007) 4" lift, 37's.

commited obstacle at mabell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GprmNHpjA9I

and how about a monster cherokee, same conditions, same obstacle on 47" ltbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOX8b5lHA0w

same obstacle. what if this guy had a 10" lift?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3pif9oies

Tire size is minimal unless I was taping a rig on 31's ...my measurements are from rigs with big meat not space saver spares .
right.

40 inch tire = 20 inches from hub center to ground
28 inch stock tire = 14 inches from hub center to ground

that's 6 inches different :dunce:

continue your bumbling, incoherent explanation of how a skyscraper rig is perfectly ok, however. It's quite amusing. Almost as amusing as your explanation/arguments concerning deathwobble in the CO BS thread.

continue your bumbling, incoherent explanation of how a skyscraper rig is perfectly ok, however. It's quite amusing.

these lift height discussions were easier when everyone thought low cog rigs had the flex of a shopping cart.

a zj? cool story bro

you could of had alot more for alot less, have fun driving over big boulders that a xj on 33's can

Meh, it was worth it I dropped it off when I had no time to do anything on it, and went wheeling on my time off instead of watching friends go out while I work on the Jeep 1 sunday at a time ... But those must be some sweet 33's .

right.

40 inch tire = 20 inches from hub center to ground
28 inch stock tire = 14 inches from hub center to ground

that's 6 inches different :dunce:

continue your bumbling, incoherent explanation of how a skyscraper rig is perfectly ok, however. It's quite amusing. Almost as amusing as your explanation/arguments concerning deathwobble in the CO BS thread.

Who's measuring a rig on 28's vs a rig on 40's ...?

And real DW is still not caused by the tire ,but rather the tire balance showing probems elsewhere...That Kronik guy did find bad wore out heims ...I had a bead rip 2 weeks ago and the tire started to seperate out of the bead it had crazy shakes ,but no DW ...hmmmmm

Last edited:
Who's measuring a rig on 28's vs a rig on 40's ...?
ok, I see you are still not that great at math.

35s vs 40s = 17.5 vs 20, still 2.5" difference (out of 8" that is a big difference)
hell, even 38s vs 40s is a 1" difference in height.

this session of second grade math is now concluded, this will be on the test

I could easily run that "commited" obstacle at current lift no stability issues ...Honestly I understand that if I drop it 4-inches it will be even more stable ,but the point is that it currently is stable , And time will tell if I drop it ...That XJ on 47's had no speed hitting the hill the xj 31's did same thing without a run , and the 47 ltb'd xj has some issues with his suspension design...I'd run up it like it had a white line painted down the mddle ...this obstacle requires no flex-no real clearance ...just run up it if you have traction the xj on 47s had none ,but looks stable...just poor suspenion not planting traction properly

This is the way I'd rather settle this ...come spring-summer I will be running...Carnage,Holy Cross,And Independence...Bring the LCOG xj's and I'll bring the "syscraper" and we'll go head 2 head...I'm not much for BS with tenagers on the web.

Last edited:
Back