• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton Offroad Leaf Springs

She already figured out the issue with the springs. Faulty springs cuz of the removal of a critical leaf in the pack. Clayton acknowledged it and is changing their setup.

A stiffer leaf pack ,as I stated will resist it more ,but the root of the problem is the dropped rear leaf mount . I watched it happen when I installed same boxes on my XJ ...unless you think $800 3 month old Deavers are junk needing redesign ...Oh my friends XJ did same thing with his Alcans .

You simply cannot remove a leaf spring from a pack and leave the two top long thin springs unsupported underneath for that amount of distance. It will cause the spring to bend. Clayton uses many thin leaves to make a pack and they have to have support under each leaf or the pack will not function correctly. It's common sense when building a leaf pack with thin leaves.

FYI... just to clarify, it was not Clayton Offroads idea to remove the leafs from the 6.5" leaf packs to attain 4.5". They simply requested a 4.5" leaf pack from the leaf spring manufacturer, and that manufacturer suggested removing that leaf.

I have the same relocation boxes with 4" springs that have the overload removed. I do not have any issues with the spring sagging, even with my 250 lbs of tools back there.

You simply cannot remove a leaf spring from a pack and leave the two top long thin springs unsupported underneath for that amount of distance. It will cause the spring to bend. Clayton uses many thin leaves to make a pack and they have to have support under each leaf or the pack will not function correctly. It's common sense when building a leaf pack with thin leaves.

Well my set up did with the dropped mount ,As well as others ,But it was not an issue on performance ...However I've never liked my rear shackes digging in on rocks as I drop off ledges ,So I'm awaiting for the arrival of my new Claytons 4 link rear and 86-ing the leafs ,which I hope I do not regret.

FYI... just to clarify, it was not Clayton Offroads idea to remove the leafs from the 6.5" leaf packs to attain 4.5". They simply requested a 4.5" leaf pack from the leaf spring manufacturer, and that manufacturer suggested removing that leaf.

Yeah I heard about that. I would rather have a leaf pack arched for 4.5" of lift than having one designed for 6.5" with a missing critical leaf. If removing a leaf is necessary, at least take it from near the bottom but be sure to leave an overload or support leaf at the very bottom to keep the spring from inverting.

However I've never liked my rear shackes digging in on rocks as I drop off ledges ,So I'm awaiting for the arrival of my new Claytons 4 link rear and 86-ing the leafs ,which I hope I do not regret.

Are you saying this is a result of the shackle relocation boxes...?

The distance between the ground and the bottom shackle bolt doesn't change when you lower the shackle mount.

Well my set up did with the dropped mount ,As well as others ,But it was not an issue on performance ...However I've never liked my rear shackes digging in on rocks as I drop off ledges ,So I'm awaiting for the arrival of my new Claytons 4 link rear and 86-ing the leafs ,which I hope I do not regret.

You won't. I know of someone who did that conversion and he loves it. It transformed the ride and is super flexy.

Are you saying this is a result of the shackle relocation boxes...?

The distance between the ground and the bottom shackle bolt doesn't change when you lower the shackle mount.

Not saying that mount decreases ground clearance of the spring , as for that I would need to drop from 40's to lower that ...But they do push my rear leaf down which does affect how high rear of leaf sits at bushing...almost flat very little arch If I kept the 1.5 shackles it would be acceptable ,but in my quest for 50 inches of vertical tire lift I went much longer ith ironman adj and it's just to much ,so while looking at it one morning I just decided COILS ,so I'm redoing the XJ all Clayton's I'm just waiting for rear link ,which takes a few weeks b/c they only build as ordered .

On a side note the Ironman adj shackles are very durable taking all smakcs/digs on boulders with ease ,as well as the boxes, But I never bolted the boxes on I welded them in and ran tube against them lateraly and welded tube to unirail for lateral bracing, And speaking of tube reminds me of needing a good EXO b4 summer and running Independence...I like my roof . Lol

1-ton when I first mentioned the issue to Clayton they did question the long shackles. I wasn't really comfortable with the length either, even though they were at their lowest setting. I measured them against my old JKS boomerangs & discovered that they were approx. 1" longer. So Ironman Andy made me some shorter shackles, the same length as the JKS. We swapped these on, and dialed the ACOS down to match. The leafs still look the same even tho the XJ has been lowered about an inch. FWIW. I'll post pics of the new leafs when we get them. The shackles & box will remain the same.

Ok, so here is what we did to double check all our information.

Stole my wifes fairly stock XJ. I put a 2 inch budget boost on it, couldn't help it. :)

Bought brand new OEM front coils, and rear leafs, and installed them to get a base measurement.

Then installed, our new prototype 4.5 leafs, and our front XJ 4.5 coils.

Then also install the rear 6.5 leafs.

The rear 4.5 leafs put us 5 inches over a stock leaf spring, and the 6.5 was actually 7 over stock. This is on a bone stock XJ, no bumpers, winch, nothing.

I will have to double check spring rates, but I think they are about 200 on the 4.5 and about 220 on the 6.5.

The 6.5s are in stock, and the 4.5s are on order.

Mighty.Mighty_XJ - Please email me, so we can discuss what you want to do about your XJ leafs.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Its cool that Clayton is helping mighty out, shes cool as hell and an honest person. I had this same issue but was told there was no warranty after my passenger leaf failed under weight / wheeling almost exactly a year from purchase. I found a solution in dividing the good side & bent side evenly they then sat level again. Some months later I was ready to sell my 4.5 clayton leafs and tried to find what the current cost was, to come up with a fair resale price. Website didnt have them listed due to the redesign. I called and was suprised that the Clayton guys were quick to offer the removed leaf this time. I was then at a toss up whether to run the 6.5 or just sell em for fear of further issues. Also got a clearer explanation on the problem with the 4.5 and the spring rate. My Rigid swing out + 35" & steel rim + full tank of gas + rough trail didnt work with the 4.5 spring rate.

I hope all works out :thumbup:

UPDATE:
New Clayton leafs came in today. I went with the 6.5" because according to his calculations on a bone stock XJ, my "heavy" Jeep should cause them to sit at about the 5.5" I'm looking for. We'll see ... Will post comparison pics & measurements when they are installed.

(Anyone want to help install some leafs?)

UPDATE:
New Clayton leafs came in today. I went with the 6.5" because according to his calculations on a bone stock XJ, my "heavy" Jeep should cause them to sit at about the 5.5" I'm looking for. We'll see ... Will post comparison pics & measurements when they are installed.

(Anyone want to help install some leafs?)

I'll help. Oh wait, you are clear across the state. FAIL.

Good luck with it. I bet these will be a good set.

Re: Clayton Offroad Leaf Springs- UPDATE

UPDATE:
The 6.5 springs are on the XJ and :doh: I'm pretty sure they're too tall for me, unless I widen my stance a few inches - or gain a lot of weight real fast. Makes me real nervous, especially remembering how it was on my last trip to Rausch.
Interestingly tho, the measurements just before removing the 4.5" leafs showed that the passenger side sat a good 1" lower than the driver side, measured with the tire opened & closed. My closed tire sits on the driver side, so that wasn't the culprit. In addition, my friend who helped me pointed out that the leafs were fanning out on both sides. Consider that I went wheeling with these leafs only twice - once at Rausch & once at Wharton. So I'm pretty happy to have got rid of them and even happier that Clayton is redesigning that product.
He seemed convinced that my XJ was too heavy for the leafs - and at 200 vs 220 spring rate that may very well have been true. But the 6.5" packs popped the XJ up 3 full inches of lift higher than the other pack (after allowing for the above variances). Since Clayton expected that upon installation the leafs would settle a full inch, if indeed they did, then my heep isn't so "heavy" after all & it proves a defect in the 4.5" - ergo, the missing leaf greatly reduced the spring rate.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it down to 5.5". :dunno:

my 4.5" leafs sagged quite a bit. only a few months old.

i usually have a lot of weight in back and the 35" spare on the bumper though.

Good thing he ditched the idea of removing a leaf to reduce height. I'm no engineer but I think that was a bad idea from the start. I'm surprised that others haven't noticed this.

UPDATE:
The 6.5 springs are on the XJ and :doh: I'm pretty sure they're too tall for me, unless I widen my stance a few inches - or gain a lot of weight real fast. Makes me real nervous, especially remembering how it was on my last trip to Rausch.
Interestingly tho, the measurements just before removing the 4.5" leafs showed that the passenger side sat a good 1" lower than the driver side, measured with the tire opened & closed. My closed tire sits on the driver side, so that wasn't the culprit. In addition, my friend who helped me pointed out that the leafs were fanning out on both sides. Consider that I went wheeling with these leafs only twice - once at Rausch & once at Wharton. So I'm pretty happy to have got rid of them and even happier that Clayton is redesigning that product.
He seemed convinced that my XJ was too heavy for the leafs - and at 200 vs 220 spring rate that may very well have been true. But the 6.5" packs popped the XJ up 3 full inches of lift higher than the other pack (after allowing for the above variances). Since Clayton expected that upon installation the leafs would settle a full inch, if indeed they did, then my heep isn't so "heavy" after all & it proves a defect in the 4.5" - ergo, the missing leaf greatly reduced the spring rate.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it down to 5.5". :dunno:

Are you still running a long shackle? If so, get a shorter shackle and lose some height that way. Just be sure to keep the length at least 1" over stock cuz the relocation brackets don't work well with stock length shackles.

Naw - I ditched the longer shackles a while back. I'm running 1" boomerang shackles now, a sort of prototype by Andy @ Ironman. Also changed the relocation angle a bit to lower the height. I haven't seen the XJ yet since this change so I don't know how that looks.

Back