• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler DRB II Scan Tool (for '89 XJ)

langer1 said:
Now you just need the cable and renix cartrige.
Do you know where I could find those? I've done a non-extensive search on google and haven't seen it. Also, haven't seen them on sale on ebay (searched closed auctions too). I will try to visit local junkyards / dealerships this weekend too. Thanks for your help.

serge said:
Do you know where I could find those? I've done a non-extensive search on google and haven't seen it. Also, haven't seen them on sale on ebay (searched closed auctions too). I will try to visit local junkyards / dealerships this weekend too. Thanks for your help.
No I don't.
They do show up on eBay from time to time. I think you need the Renault engine tester card and cable.
Don’t forget the years 87-90 XJ’s were built by AMC.

Eagle said:
As noted in Rags' comment:
The catch-22 you face is that, if your vehicle isn't running, the scanner is useless because with the Renix system it has to be running to throw a code, and you have to have the scanner connected and reading when it rhows the code. It's completely useless for trouble-shooting a no-run condition.
Actually, I can get the Jeep to run by pulling the vacuum line off the MAP sensor. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Jeep/Eagle adapter yet. I've called that place in Virginia (LPC) and they don't have it either :(

is there any other scanning tool we can use with Renix engines?

The Red Snap-on Tools "brick" as it is called, on Ebay, MT-2500 IIRC. But you need to also get the right plug in cards for the year make and model, one for the ECU and one for the TCU. I have come close to buying one for newer vehicles and then getting the older cards.

Check the garages and tools forum and the FAQs forum to see if there is a good thread already on this.

is there any other scanning tool we can use with Renix engines?

I have found that I can pretty much do, find and fix anything on a Renix with a volt ohm multi meter and an FSM. A few other tools help like a vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, compression tester, noid light kit.

Not sure. I've got a code reader with multiple adapters, one for the 91 up jeeps, older 87 Toyotas, and quite a few others. So far the scanner is more useful as a obdII scanner.

I didn't think the renix stored errors.

If you've got a specific problem exomike and a few others will know what you should check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AMC/Chrysler DRB-II tester for Renix checks live data and accepts commands to test this and that. The scanner may be able to store live errors/data during testing, not sure. I think Old_man had one he sold about 8 years ago, so he may recall some details on them and Cruiser54 was a dealership service rep and he may know a good bit about them. They are very rare. I gave up 8 years ago trying to find and buy one...even the spap-on version was/is hard to tell what you are buying on ebay. And there are mulitple cartridges you need to be able to do all the different scan tests. A bit of maze of them in fact, and no online guide that I could find explaining each one.

But more and more, I find the limits of even OBD-II scanners to be a huge issue. My sons Ford 96 Taurus had the shakes after some major repairs, and the OBD-II said it was busy trying to lock in the last 2 emission systems monitors but it did not display any codes. Very old school troubleshooting found the problem after 2 weeks of screwing around. One rear, impossible to reach or see spark plug wire was not connected to one of 6 spark plugs. OBD-II in the early mode would not even display a pending error code for it because it had not completed the relearn procedure which it could not do due to the one cylinder not firing.

Not sure. I've got a code reader with multiple adapters, one for the 91 up jeeps, older 87 Toyotas, and quite a few others. So far the scanner is more useful as a obdII scanner.

If you've got a specific problem ecomike and a few others will know what you should check.

What brand and model?

If you've got a specific problem exomike and a few others will know what you should check.

I would have to agree with Ecomike, scan tools for Renix can be useful but for the most part old school troubleshooting gets it done.

I have the Snap on mt-2500 with all connectors and keys, with domestic and foreign cartridge up to 97'. There is a trans cartridge, can't remember the specifics though. I would have to hook it up to get a list of the live data one can view if someone really needs it. Live data is it, no codes thrown or stored on Renix. Optional printer is available to record data and print. I can use it on obd2 cars up to about 04' as well.

For Sale if anybody really wants one.

I would have to agree with Ecomike, scan tools for Renix can be useful but for the most part old school troubleshooting gets it done.

I have the Snap on mt-2500 with all connectors and keys, with domestic and foreign cartridge up to 97'. There is a trans cartridge, can't remember the specifics though. I would have to hook it up to get a list of the live data one can view if someone really needs it. Live data is it, no codes thrown or stored on Renix. Optional printer is available to record data and print. I can use it on obd2 cars up to about 04' as well.

How much? What all is there?

A list of each component needed, that you have to be able to read Renix with a snap on 2500 would handy for all of us :cheers:

Back