• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25...27 or 29 spline?

Are you pulling from you vast experience with both to come to that conclusion?

I don't know if this is a cut down or not but I will answer. I curently have the following rigs in my yard: 95 XJ, 99 XJ, 00 WJ. The XJs both have the 8.25, the WJ has the 35. I have had the rear ends appart in all three of them. No, I cannot say I have broken any of them but I did install 29 splines in the 95 when the ARB went in. Two for the price of one, the lockright was also going in the d35 (don't worry, it's mainly for the street). Having all axle shafts side by side I can tell you the neck down area on the 27 spline 8.25 is thinner than the 35. I know the axle tube themselves are thicker but if I was running and axle setup I'd upgrade. Sorry, I don't have any buddys that know someone that has seen a similar setup but not quite so my comments reflect my experiences and opinions. Good day.

I have a '94 Export XJ with 8.25s too.
QUESTION:
I have another complete 8.25 axle sitting in my shop that came off a 2002 KJ (Liberty). Is it possible to do a direct swap to my XJ ??? I want the rear discs upgrade and the 29 spline axles. Has anybody tried this before ?? Or maybe just swapping the inner parts ?

Thanks!

I have a '94 Export XJ with 8.25s too.
QUESTION:
I have another complete 8.25 axle sitting in my shop that came off a 2002 KJ (Liberty). Is it possible to do a direct swap to my XJ ??? I want the rear discs upgrade and the 29 spline axles. Has anybody tried this before ?? Or maybe just swapping the inner parts ?

Thanks!
It will not be a direct swap. XJ=leaf springs. KJ=coil springs. You would have to remove the coil spring perches & weld on new leaf spring perches. Not sure it the shock mounts would have to be redone. JIM.

and how about just swapping shafts with all gears ? Are they the same length?

Back