• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirp..Chirp..Squel..Squel ..A long story

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Just a FYI to add to the "S" belt/bearing/componant noises that drive us crazy trying to figgure out what the heck is making that chirp noise that turns to a squel.

Im the original owner of a 88XJ with 245,000 miles. Amonth or so ago I resealed a leaking A/C compressor and because I was there replaced the clutch bearings. Reinstalled it and everything worked great...Real cold...

A couple hundred miles later I was doing an oil change and inspecting stuff under the hood and found that the "S" belt ribs were a bit cracked.

I purchased a new belt at AutoZone and installed it just as I have in years past.

Got to work the next day (30 miles) and had slight chirp noise....no big deal I thought...just tighten the belt a bit more...which I did when I got home and the chirp was gone.

BUT by the time I got to work the next day the chirp had returned and I had also picked up a squel. Going home my co-workers even heard it.

I read thru the threads here and got some ideas. I purchased a Dayton belt (both new belts were mft in MEXICO) and before installing it hand spun all the various shafts....No noticeable problem..Nada..zip...

Got the belt on...Chirp..Chirp.......squel.....geez...now what?? I poured H2O on the belt while it was running and...NO CHIRP. I got some belt dressing and the noise got WORSE!

I changed the WP because it felt like it had abit of drag on it but no leakage....only had 15k on it since it was changed. Put a NEW one on....Chirp..Chirp..Squel..Squel.

The idler bearing had 95k on it so I put a new one in and also installed a OEM NEW fan pulley/ ac bracket assembly ($85)...started the XY up...nice and quiet...for about 1 minute...then chirp..chirp..squel..squel.

I had tightened the belt, loosened the belt...nothing stopped the chirp.

A friend suggusted spraying the belt with silicone...yeah right make the belt slip even more than it probably was.

I got a KR-2 gauge and check my belt tension that I had set by feel. It was about 160# which I think is in spec for a now used belt. I removed the fan/clutch assembly and started the engine ....Chirp..Chirp..Squel..Squel.. It wasnt the fan. I tighten the belt...loosened the belt...No change. I looked the Harmonic Balancer over (again) and it looked fine. It was not rubbing on the timing chain cover...no rubber coming out....

I reinstalled the fan...Now what..???? I started the engine up puored water on the belt...NO Chirp!

I got the can of spray silicone out and thought what the heck all I can do is "grease" up a belt and end up repalcing it if need be.......I sprayed the belt down while the engine was running........

CHIRPS.....GONE....

So what the heck is going on? Im thinking that the current production belts just lack the quality of yesteryear belts.... I carrying the silicone with me...and watching the belt.....

I just recently went through this problem with the chirping belt for about 3 months til I could take no more. I was buying these $27 belts out at CarQuest and have gone through 3 of them in the year I've owned it. 97 Sport 2 door. Anywho. I ended up sayin enough is enough and I went to Napa and figured I'll get one of their belts in hopes that it will stop chirping. BIG difference in belt quality. CarQuest belts are real rubbery and thin, Napa belt is Thick and kinda felty..$45 for a Napa belt. I just did this on Thursday and so far no squeal yet. So I'm assuming the quality of the belt and everything else you buy is "you get what you pay for". Hopefully this will be the end of belt buying for a little while now. Good Luck

Check for a misalignment somewhere - perhaps a deteriorating harmonic balancer. It doesn't take much to cause a chirp if the belt is being dragged sideways across an idler.

A little brake fluid will also quiet a squeaky belt, but only temporarily. It's a good way to check if you're not sure whether it's belt or bearing sqeak.

Cygnus58...I dont think the system is overcharged. The chirp to squel came weither the a/c was running or not.

Matt...I'll check for alignment...It seems that the belt is running in a "new" path across the non ribbed pullys ie, fan,idler,WP. You know the how the paint wears off pulleys after they run for awhile? It seems that a"new" pathway is developing on those pulleys as the remaining paint that hasnt worn off is now starting to.

I just started the XJ up to move it in the driveway.......Chirp is back....just once or twice.

ARRRRAUG!!!!!!!!!

I had for several months the same problem Chirp Chirp Chirp
Searching searching searching ahah the Idlerpulley!!
So I installed a brand new one from Crown.
Chirp Chirp Chirp
The bearing of the new pulley was delivered without grease!!
So donot trust new parts! It took me weeks to find out.
Chirp is over now . gree:wave1: tings

Back