• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

China

This has been sought after for a while and they always have been.. When I was stationed back in Okinawa, @2000 when Taiwan was trying to separate from China, and we told Taiwan that we (US) would help them claim indepenence.. Bad on our part.. China made a threat to the US saying that we could not afford to trade California for Taiwan.. Ya, we ran.. Now imagine being on a freakin Island right inside Chinas reach of missiles when all that was happening, NOT COOL... The news papers printed out there armory, manning, aircrafts, weapons etc, etc, they could have destroyed us with all that they have, DONT F WITH A SUPER POWER...

aroncull said:
we are their largest customer.... ok but did you also know that they own a great deal of our debt and also own a good deal of our banks notes? that means that we owe them money yes but they actually own a good deal of our money and real estate through bank notes.. there is not many financial reasons that would stop them from going into Taiwan.. they have us over the barrel...

I heard this recently. It took me a little while to remember why this does not disturb me. Folks who worry about foreigners owning chuncks of US money are forgetting the US policy regarding foreign debt. We don't give a sheit. Who cares how much they own. This is the good ol' US of A. If foreign ownership becomes a problem, we'll just take it back. No big deal.

aroncull said:
.. and eventual collapse of diplomacy over [whatever]...

Again, US policy is, "Who Gives a Shait." We don't need diplomacy to buy Chinese made crap.

aroncull said:
that's when the SHTF, we can like to think that they have no ability to project power and control resources near to them but recently that has changed.

They're having trouble projecting power within their own borders. The good ol' US dollar has usurped the party line. They are falling under our spell [que=twilight_zone_theme] doodoodoodoo...doodoodoodoo[/que]

aroncull said:
Both the US and China will be importing as much as 80-90% of their oil within the next twenty years

There is no way that China (no matter what their population might climb to) can compete with the US in the arena of oil consumption. Nobody wastes more than an American consumer. Hands down, really, there is no way that China can ever come close to using oil the way we do.

aroncull said:
the expanding Chinese economy and China's stranglehold on the US trade deficit has placed China in a position to challenge the US for global economic supremacy.

The Chinese economy isn't really expanding (whatever "expanding economy" means). They're just shifting their rural agricultural production population over to an urban industrial consumer serf population. The largest increase in Chinese imports is rice, not oil. Nobody in China cares if the workers are warm or not, as long as they are fed. Meanwhile, there are fewer folks in China growing stuff.

The US money moving to China (that worries some folks) fills a very few pockets within China. When the Chinese economy collapses (and theirs' will collapse before ours' does) the owners of those pockets will pull up stakes and relocate to protect their holdings here. And, they will bring our money with them.

"Global ecomomic supremacy"? Please. That belongs to the global international corporations: not to any lowly government.

aroncull said:
The first SARS case... Coincidence?

Wow. Got me on that one. So, did we seed China with SARS because they were threatening to "stop" the US going into Iraq? Did I read that right? Who gives a shait what China thought about Iraq. China can't stop us bombing whoever Chaney's business partners decide the US needs to bomb. We'll bomb whoever they damn well think we need to bomb to further their interests and shore up their stock options, and China can't do a damn thing about it.

aroncull said:
China had been outshining the US in the eyes of the non-aligned world.

again...Wow. Who gives a shait about the non-aligned world?

aroncull said:
China was also in the final stages of planning its first manned space launch at a time when the United States had lost its second space shuttle due to incompetence.

Do you think that the Chinese space program is competent? From whom do you think they stole the technology? Get a grip.

aroncull said:
Read at you leasure

I don't have any leasure. I'm too busy responding to the off-topic/non-tech forum at NAXJA :laugh3: :us: .

Bent said:
China is ready to implode. I give them ten years max. Think I'm nuts? I called the fall of the USSR ~10 years out too.

The aproaching famine in China will rival any in their history, and make the recent North Korean food shortages look like a diet fad. The party power base is sucking up every US dollar that enters the country while the agricultural base that has sustained China for 5,000 years is being dismantled to provide labor to stock Harbor Freight stores in the US. Ten years has a 99% confidence. I would say five years is probably close to 70% confidence for a major event in China.

The real question is: How much will we pay Haliburten to rebuild China?

Thats what i was looking for... awesome XJ_dreamin...

Havnt seen anything about a famine in china but its obvious how the communists in the country treat the labor force or the people in general...

My hope is that we wake up to the fact that as the country [china] goes up or down hill we need to watch them and the military that they have. It seems to me that sometimes we Americans....[yeah yeah] we can be little too confident about our abilities militarily and i would like us to always believe and strive for a stronger more stable fighting force able to deal with anything that comes its way..... try to fend off the complacency that we have for new fighting abilites and technology....

Okie-Dokie

Might as well add the conspiracy theory into the mix:

You know those chemtrails put off by mystery airplanes? They contain a metal element that in conjunction with the HARP weather modifying electrical array in Alaska, is decimating the atmosphere over China.

You think that those holes in the ozone are because of car emissions…pu-lease!
HARP has the ability to blows major portions of the earth’s atmosphere into space.
The focused beam over China will make their crops fail big-time!
They will have to buy our genetically modified food!
They will soon be our slaves!
Payback for all that cheap sh*t they send us will soon be ours!

Buaha-ha!

pbbrain.jpg

RTicUL8 said:
Okie-Dokie

Might as well add the conspiracy theory into the mix:

You know those chemtrails put off by mystery airplanes? They contain a metal element that in conjunction with the HARP weather modifying electrical array in Alaska, is decimating the atmosphere over China.

You think that those holes in the ozone are because of car emissions…pu-lease!
HARP has the ability to blows major portions of the earth’s atmosphere into space.
The focused beam over China will make their crops fail big-time!
They will have to buy our genetically modified food!
They will soon be our slaves!
Payback for all that cheap sh*t they send us will soon be ours!

Buaha-ha!

pbbrain.jpg

I think the idea is to just kill off all the people in china and india. That would effectively cut our planets population in half.

Maybe I'm naive, but if I was a superpower, or on the verge of becoming a superpower, why the hell would I want to attack another power of similar strength?

Then I have to "manage" the fall out in the aftermath - either my own people's or those of the conquered.

Why do that when I can negotiate business to obtain what I want and let the people already in power manage/oppress/curtail their own people?

Blowing shit up is easy; it's managing the aftermath that is the hard part. Look at Iraq or look at second world war Europe for that matter for a juxtapostiion (don't welcome the new victors versus welcoming).

As a Canadian I'm no more worried about the Chinese than I am of U.S. tanks rolling into Alberta or U.S. ships into the Grand Banks. So far the Chinese have just been buying what they want (steel comes to mind).

What we really need to be worried about with respect to China is getting them off the fossil fuel addiction as quickly as we do ourselves. With their population and increasing individual affluence it's just a matter of time before there is a permanent cloud of pollution that starts in China and doesn't dissipate until it gets to the west coast of North America.

BSD said:
No need for pics. Just go look at a 5' 2x4 and you get the general idea! Thanks God or some mad scientist for his greatest creation...silicone! :)
BSD
we still want a pic. hell even one from a camara phone would be ok.

Gil BullyKatz said:
What about Korean?

Kalbi and Bulkogi?

Chinese is ancient and Thai is passe'

There are Korean places around here...other than that we're not really advanced in the NW.

:D

I wish we had EXIT out here.

Beej said:
Just for that, I'm having this thread moved to the Den. (Or maybe they'll just delete my post? :D )

Anyway, you're just jealous...

chubby-01.jpg

have to delete two posts now... :D

Can't... Restrain... Self...

Please! To the Den!

Root Moose said:
What we really need to be worried about with respect to China is getting them off the fossil fuel addiction as quickly as we do ourselves. With their population and increasing individual affluence it's just a matter of time before there is a permanent cloud of pollution that starts in China and doesn't dissipate until it gets to the west coast of North America.

Too late, why do you think Bush won't sign on to the Kyoto Accord? China is seen as a developing nation and not held to the provisions in the Kyoto accord. National Geographic ran an article within the last year describing the problem you just elucidated as already happening.

If I am understanding your point, that is like saying we should be cannibals because some island in the south Pacific still does it. :)

Bush won't sign Kyoto because the lobbyists don't want it and politicians don't think beyond the length of their mandate. If you are a cynic tag on "there's no money in it for Bush" as well.

Kyoto is kinda misguided anyway. IIRC, it makes no provisions for pollution, only CO2. CO2 is important, but at the rate China (or the rest of us for that matter) is billowing smoke we'll be dead of environmental toxins before CO2 becomes a real issue. There is a linkage between pollution and CO2 of course, but if they had made that linkage front and center there would be much better buy in.

Back