• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CBD shuts down Truckhaven

Okay, heres the latest.
Truckhaven will remain open. The State Park has taken the stand that they want an inventory done. This is not an Env. Inpact Report. But they want some areas closed immediately. Those signs are up or on the way up. Ahhh...but not so fast. Who are they to close land they have no authority over? That appears to be the question right now. User groups (as we are all lumped into) as well as eviros (also refered to as user groups) have sued, I hate that word, lets say 'have gotten the attention of the judicial system' to look at the acquistion land. Fine, not all the land was recently aquired.
But we have unfortunate news too.
The spineless bastards from TDS are going to move thier event anyway.
I would supose that they will move it to the south of the Borrego Salton Seaway and into Ocotillo Wells SVRA. Okay, so maybe calling them spineless isn't fair. The trails will still be the same and the fun at the notches will still go on. Heck it will even put the event closer to me! :D
I should clairify that when I say 'State Park' I am refering to Anza-Borrego and not State Parks. The land was purchased by our State Parks Department with ORV monies. OWSVRA is run by the State Parks Department and not the Anza-Borrego State Park.
Anyway, it is far from over. But it looks like level heads might prevail. Areas will be closed, but probably no existing trails, or at least well used trails, will be closed for the time being.
I'll try to stay on top of this for this group.

Rick

I have been pretty apprihensive about posting on this subject, since for the last 5 years I have made the CORVA poker run. I try to attend TDS but that event always falls on a weekend that I am off at a race. I will miss the fun trails that Truckhaven offers. I will not miss the drunken idiots wheeling threw camps at 3am. This is the main reason I sold off my quads and quit going to Glamis. I have also been upset with the Cal Gov for missuse of the Green Sticker funds for over 20 years. I am NOT Happy with the tacktics that CORVA has taken on this matter. I personally HATE the Sierra Club and what they stand for. I grew up in a 4WD club, that saw tons of trails closed due to the Sierra Club and its enviromentalists. Also before you take offense to what I have to say.. I have been there done that. I agree with alot of what Ron, and Rick both have to say. Well thats all I have to say on the matter at this time.. Thanks.. (flamesuit standing by)

I see no reason for a flamesuit!
Some of us enjoy large crowds from time to time. Some don't.
I go to Gordon's Well instead of Glamis because there is a bit more sanity there, but the crowds are still huge on big weekends. I wear ear plugs when I hit the sack on big weekends. I still love it!
When I'm out four wheeling I like much smaller groups. That magic number of 7 rigs works for me.
The TDS event is the only big crowd four-by event I attend, and I love it. The problem is it is such an unusual event for us that people are not used to the all night action or the drunks. I will tell you one thing though, I will NEVER go out in the dune buggie and drink. Just don't do it, but I HAVE gone out wheelin' with a few brews in my system. Maybe its the relative pace of the driving, I don't think I can justify it, only rationalize it. ;)
But the TDS event is not the issue, access to Truckhaven is. Lets just hope that we can maintain our access to it for the long haul.

Ricik

ROBERTK said:
I would like to first say that either this really is your first post, and welcome, or your kinda leary (as I would be) of any reprocussions of this very sensitive subject, due to your very good and accurate questions, and made a new profile to remain anonamous..

I’m a new. A friend had an Jeep for sale a while back and I found and book marked this site when considering buying it, which I didn’t. I like the Wrangler better, but didn’t think that is what I need and SUV style would have been better for us. I drop in and lurk around when things are slow, kinda like being a vicarious jeeper. Is that one of the first signs of jeepizm Ha Ha. Looks like you guys enjoy the ‘car guy’ thing a lot. I need to dump a few hobbies before I consider doing this. Enough about me.

I didn’t think about this being a sensitive subject, and thanks everyone that had input for my question. I understand a little better now, but I guess it’s mainly another area where the government is in control and using ‘reason’ just confuses the issue.

Nobody I know, knows about this stuff, the media doesn’t cover it. I (speak just for me when I say ‘I’) thought all artifacts where already protected, that those lands belonged to parks. The rest of the desert land was for off roads to tear up with vehicles. Maybe tear-up isn’t correct, but I see where vehicles have run across the land along the freeway when I drive across the desert. Some of the pics I see here looks like your tearing up your jeep(s).

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.

alright, the run at TDS on Mar.3/4 is still being held right?!

blackdoutxj said:
alright, the run at TDS on Mar.3/4 is still being held right?!

Better thay cashed my check!

It's being run out of Ocotillo Wells.

so truck haven is closed for that event?! i was told during operation desert fun that, that event would be still held at that place?! if that is true huge bummer:(!

blackdoutxj said:
so truck haven is closed for that event?! i was told during operation desert fun that, that event would be still held at that place?! if that is true huge bummer:(!
Truckhaven is not closed, but the event has been moved to Ocotillo Wells.

blackdoutxj said:

Didn't you bother reading through the whole thread? And reading the associated links provided in the messages?

Crap. Here's another newsflash bozo. Iraq invades Kuwait.

Andy Steiner said:
Didn't you bother reading through the whole thread? And reading the associated links provided in the messages?

Damn Andy, didn't take your Prozak today? ;)
Truckhaven is kind of 'closed for that event'....I'm not sure TDS could have gotten a permit for Truckhaven this year.
Rick
:D

Andy Steiner said:

haha i was too lazy i just had to make sure..thanks 4 the info..

Jump This said:
Damn Andy, didn't take your Prozak today?

20mg Fluoxetine. Maybe I need to up the dosage. Ya think?:helpme:

I'm kinda with you on this. I believe in letting people have their fun as long as they don't endanger others. I tolerate people riding their way too loud quads near camp at 2 in the morning because for those folks, that is their idea of fun. Also, I know before I go out there that this will occur. I appreciate the large presence of cops at both Gordon's and Buttercup because they are a large part of why it is not another Glamis. I don't see them giving out too many bullsh!t tickets, but they are on top of the idiots who present a danger to others. Since you are also a sand fan, I would like to hook up with you out there for some good wheelin in a safe and insane manner. I will be going out presidents day weekend to Buttercup and I hope to make a March trip also. Let's try to hook up. John

IslanderOffRoad said:
It shows Ocotillo Wells OHV area in green as well, they just didn't seperate the two. I was at Ocotillo over the weekend, so unless something changed in the last few hours its open

He was just noting the changes to Google. Ocotillo Wells is part of Ansa Borrego State Park but unlike the newly aquirred Truckhaven area has a management plan in effect therefore with a permit one can hold organized events there like upcoming TDS Safari. Truckhaven is open but not for organized events right now.

Back