• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB pros, I've screwed up my ant

Is there not a better option these days? I've been using Motorola walkies with my buddy.. be nice to have something that can talk to a group tho. Gotta believe there is better option than the old cb radios here in the 21st century?
Not trying to talk the space station or around the globe. Just wanna chat w buds on the trail. KISS

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The FireStik website FAQ's and other pages are full of illustrated diagrams with trouble shooting and installation info

A properly located and tuned antenna set-up with a 4 watt CB should transmit clearly for 1-3 miles.

Why do you think it is assembled incorrectly ? Looks correct to me.

FireStik has large and comprehensive FAQ and Trouble shooting sections with pictures and diagrams. Right Channel Radios is another excellent resource.
TY. Missed this one somehow

Coiling the cable is bad, also your antenna position effects where you get the best reception and with yours you should get the best reception from the left/rear.
What sorta ground plane will I get from left rear? Why is that location better???

Sorry for the interjection, all the convoluted side talk isn't helpful for the Op. I'll see myself out and do some research on what might work for my setup. I did find it interesting that jeep jamboree has gone away from cb and requires gmrs to partake.

What sorta ground plane will I get from left rear? Why is that location better???

The "ground plane" is everthing to a antenna. If you mount the antenna on the rear, your best performance will be in front of you. If you mount it the front your performance will be in the rear. If you mount it on the right it will be from your left. If you mount it on the the it will from your right!

Sorry for the interjection, all the convoluted side talk isn't helpful for the Op. I'll see myself out and do some research on what might work for my setup. I did find it interesting that jeep jamboree has gone away from cb and requires gmrs to partake.
Def wasn't my intent for ya to go. For big events GMRS is the way to go.

I'd like to look into a rig mounted GMRS system as well. That way I can pass the handhelds to friends

A good example would be a fiberglass boat or rv where you have to "create" a ground plane for the radio to work.

My limited understanding is that the best antenna location is the middle of the roof. Best to get the fat coax wire, not the skinny stuff for less loses. Ditto on do not coil it up. Keep cable short as possible. Tune your antenna length with a reflected power meter.
and never ever transmit with the antenna disconnected, as that can fry the radio as the power will all be reflected back at it.

For me the center of roof was an issue.
1 I got a big roof rack, so it was in the way.
2. I off road around lots of low tree branches

I ended up putting it a bit lower on top of my tire carrier. Evidently not ideal from a radio stand
point. every thing a compromise.

I took advantage of my Jeep by mounting it directly above the dome light so I had easy access to the cable termination and cable routing.
P1090213.JPG

BTW, you can cut the coax length but it is the least recommended. The factory cables usually come in 9 or 18 feet because they are factions of a full wave length (36.66 ft) and you should to get a faction of that or tuning will be the most difficult!

so doesn't the hood help create a good ground plane? tried a magnetic on top but kept knocking it off..

anybody got a rig mounted GMRS setup? searched a bit but didn't find much

so doesn't the hood help create a good ground plane? tried a magnetic on top but kept knocking it off..

Yes the hood helps, my mount is a bolt-on but you still have to use a soft spring!

Back