• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Removal w/pics

Drop the rear hangers until the whole rear of the exhaust falls onto the axle. heat up the connection to the muffler with a torch (Red Hot). Grab the very end of the tail pipe, and wiggle back, forth, up, and down to the extremes to loosen up where the clamp held. It will get loose eventually, and come out. do the same thing to the other side (careful it still may be hot). But this probably won't help you now because you cut it sorry?

I couldn't get my cat off either, and I beat the everloving crap out of it with a BFH, my feet, a crowbar, you name it. I ended up taking a sawzall to it, and all was well.

Hard way to to it, but it works. Chisel and hammer outer pipe parallel to pipe 180 degrees apart to relieve tension from clamping. Then chisel and pry outer pipe away from inner pipe. Air chisel makes it way easier (now that I got one finally).

Oh well whats done is done. I'm going to try to move it forward a bit today and hopefully that should tak care of the leaks.

I know this is a little late for you, but perhaps this will help someone else in the future. I had the same problem on my '96 country. Struggled and struggled and then my dad came at me with an old junkyard trick. Using a small ball peen hammer, square side not peen side, and peck away directly on the crimp all the way around the pipe, This will actually thin the walls of the outer pipe creating expansion. I was a bit skeptical and it still took some grunting and a helper but it worked. Sometimes the old tricks are still the best.

You have to put a slit in the piece of pipe that comes out of the cat so you can open it up to loosen it from the inner pipe. I've done it with a dremmel and with a cut off wheel in an angle grinder.

Back