• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't figure out what to do from here.

Fishpony

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i have a 99 XJ with 31" tires and a 3" Rough Country lift with the add a leaf in the rear. I put it on about a year ago with no problems and the front and rear have been level. Well I just installed the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier and now my rear is about a full inch lower than the front. Can't decide if i should get new 3.5" lift rear leafs or one of Rough Country's Shackle relocation or adjustable shackles. Any suggestions?? Been searching online forever now and can't decide what to order. My original thought was 3.5" leafs but if it doesn't sit level with those then i'm back in the same spot. At least the other kits are adjustable.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-shackle-relocation-kit-1117.html

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-lift-shackles-1077.html

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...ng.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=4113&t_pn=EXP53111

Welcome! You're probably not going to fid a lot of people that would recommened RC for anything. There a bunch of vendors on naxja that would have something similar and it wouldnt be junk. So beyond that, your best bet would be new leafs. Shackle relocation is nice but you probanly woudnt utilze it. Adutsable shackles are nice because as you mentioned you can do just that. Problem is you can mess up the angle, depneding on how much you "adjust" and yur ride will suffer. New leafs will settle so I would worry about the cholo hot rod look.

If I were you, look into getting some shackle relocation boxes.

You can knock out two bird with one stone, getting a better shackle angle (most likely), and getting some lift.

Depending, you might have to swap shackles.

I would also go ahead and get the shackle relocation kit, allows for a proper shackle angle and more travel then the factory setup, so it not only allows more flex, but the ride will be improved.

Interesting. Didn't realize RC was that bad.. Thanks for the advice. I guess i'll look for 3.5" lift leafs and just hope they settle where they need to be.

I've been looking at the RC fixed LCAs
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-fixed-control-arms-1071.html

I'm guessing no one on here would recommend them? Guess i have a lot more research to do!

Thanks!

Its not there that bad, they just arent that great. For the money you can spend close to or a little more for something thats a lot better. As mentioned the relocation box will help with angles and such. Up to you on budget and hiw you use your rig. If its just mall crawlin probably dont need the most expensive crazy option. Checkout ironmanfab4x4, Clayton, serious offroad, ironrock offroad. There are some others im just forgetting.....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at ordering the HD Offroad Engineering relocation brackets. Look pretty good for $130. Hopefully that should level it out and any help with the ride quality would be a bonus. I think i may order the Rough Country LCAs while i'm at it.

I'm trying to get it ready for a 9hr drive to Colorado in June for some light offroading and trails. But other than that 95% of my driving has been and will probably be on pavement.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at ordering the HD Offroad Engineering relocation brackets. Look pretty good for $130. Hopefully that should level it out and any help with the ride quality would be a bonus. I think i may order the Rough Country LCAs while i'm at it.

I'm trying to get it ready for a 9hr drive to Colorado in June for some light offroading and trails. But other than that 95% of my driving has been and will probably be on pavement.

No worries. The bushings on the RC tend to wear out pretty quick. Might be worth while to check a few more places out before taking the dive. Happy wheel'n!

Thanks again for the help. Went ahead and ordered the HD Engineering's relocators yesterday. Hopefully I get em by this weekend. Now to figure out whats next!

Dodge Ram shackles will give you about 1.5" of lift and cost about $5 for a pair at the junkyard.

Works on my Jeep...and I'm using them with the HD Offroad no-lift shackle boxes.

Dodge Ram shackles will give you about 1.5" of lift and cost about $5 for a pair at the junkyard.

Works on my Jeep...and I'm using them with the HD Offroad no-lift shackle boxes.
What yearso ram would work?
Thanks again for the help. Went ahead and ordered the HD Engineering's relocators yesterday. Hopefully I get em by this weekend. Now to figure out whats next!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So what's wrong with this picture... Does not seem right. the shackle is hitting the bracket and it's jacked up still.

14365202906.jpg

So what's wrong with this picture... Does not seem right. the shackle is hitting the bracket and it's jacked up still.

14365202906.jpg
Need to move it another hole back, maybe even two if that's with the weight off it.

Duh.. You were right. Moved it back 2 holes and it's good. But now it hits my exhaust.. Only raised it up a little over a half inch so may need to mess with them more.

What yearso ram would work?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not really sure. I just wandered around the yard and measured. I suspect most of them. I'm fairly certain I got mine off the body style from the late 90's. I just grabbed a set off the first one I found that had the bed removed. They were the easiest access.

Duh.. You were right. Moved it back 2 holes and it's good. But now it hits my exhaust.. Only raised it up a little over a half inch so may need to mess with them more.

Yes, I ended up changing my location 3 times before I found where I was happy. I believe you'll like having those boxes over time.

the greater advantage of the shackle relocation boxes is the ability to dial in the shackle angle. this should take priority over desired lift height. ideally you want the shackle at a 45 degree angle at ride height. if that doesnt give you the lift you want, consider longer shackles.

Well i'm heading into work to do a little work on the driver side mount. Can't get the middle hole lined up with the nut plate i have now. I'm thinking i'll probably need to get some longer shackles because with them mounted at the second to back hole they're about the same angle as they were before. But i think they've leveled the back out.

Back