• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you make your XJ last this long?

doesnt matter, i'd rather replace engines once a year, than drive some POS.

engine life span is like finding a true love, it comes easy to some and hard to others. you can do things to help your chances, but you cant MAKE it happen. it's all in the stars, a single solar flair and you're XXXXed.

i'll take my 4.0, anyday.
500k aint anything anyway, cabbies get better mileage out of their crown victoria's.

thanks for posting your local news program's filler.
furthermore, i doubt she's putting the 'pedal to the metal' =\
that being said, my dads commanche is at 250k+, if i didnt drive it from time to time, i'm sure it'd make 300.

ya, I had an astro w/ 300k with all original components, but the XJ is on motor 2 and only has 194k on the clock. Its all about luck in the end. I do know a guy that has a 2003 Chevy trailblazer that already has 210k...ridiculous.

my buddies mom is still driving an old ass plymouth voyager minivan, it looks like crap but it runs great and its got 400k miles on it.

18 free batteries. Can't beat that.

no way in he!! that thing will run 120mph, and if it did, I doubt she could hold it on the road.

2.75:1 rear gears and 4.7l, 9.5:1 compression engine-- in good condition, it'd get there eventually, but I tend to agree that she'd be fighting pretty hard to keep it on the road.

My MJ's motor is going strong at 220k, leaks oil like a sieve but other than that, works great. I hit triple digits coming home from NH last night and temp stayed right at 210 even with a nearly gone radiator and a water pump that's on its last legs.

Even with me driving it, it's liable to hit 300k without an issue, at the rate I'm going, that will happen in March of 2012 or so.

the odometer stopped working in the MJ @ 276K miles, that was after I tore the speedo cable out 3 years ago. It's been severely overheated, ran without coolant, pushed 1500 RPM past the redline and otherwise abused for the last 5 years of it's life.

still has good compression and fires up everytime. It's all a crapshoot.

Keep in mind that merc caliente is basically a merc cyclone :D before they came out with the cyclone name. They will do 120 but make sure you have a good distance to slow down cause they don't like curves...
As for mileage, 600,000+ on my 82 S-10, 12 or 14 complete sets of shocks all covered under warranty, 8 sets of brakes under warranty, untold front end alignments, gotta love Sears lifetime stuff. All I ever did was change the oil, plugs, filters, tires, radiator, couple of water pumps and one crankshaft towards the end, the kid I sold it to drove it for 2 more years after that. For the 12 years I had it, drove it about 1800 miles per week for work.

We had an 86 S10 with about 350k, it wouldn't have made it to 500k, at least not without some 'plastic surgery". It had the cancer real bad. Guy my mom sold it to pulled the bed and built a wooden stake bed.

My brother in law's 99 GMC Sierra has almost 300k. Still original engine, rebuilt tranny. He got it from a guy I work with for $100. It was believed that the engine was toast, but it just needed plugs, wires, ignition coil, fuel filter, TPS, and an exhaust manifold gasket. It went from sounding like it was about to die to running like a champ, all for under $500. 4.3 v6.

My 85 Nissan truck is about on it's last legs. Needs a tranny and at the very least a new head gasket, but possibly a rebuild on the engine. It's had a rough life though and held up amazingly well. it's at 252k.

The XJ is only at 163k, but just passed emissions with numbers to rival my CA emissions equipped 94 Geo Tracker with its 1.6l 4 cylinder when it was about half the age of my XJ.

i do a lot of driving. in the past 8 months i put 25k on it.

i think the only original "wear" component on it is the starter though.

as long as you don't let the rest of jeep go to shit, there is no reason not to replace anything that breaks or wears out. parts can be found cheap, and everything is easily replaceable.

Volvo has a "High Mileage Club".

There is an 1800S in NY with 2,720,000 miles on it.

Now, that is longevity.

Volvo has a "High Mileage Club".

There is an 1800S in NY with 2,720,000 miles on it.

Now, that is longevity.

The amazing part it that it's in NY, they use some of the nastiest road treatments I have ever seen, most people there have two cars, summer and winter, the winter ones are the ones that are like flintstone mobiles with holes for your feet in the floor. I looked at a bunch of TJ's that came out of NY, all looked good on top, all looked like they had been sitting in farmers wet overgrown field for 50 years they were so rusted underneath.
To last that long it must have been garaged from Dec to Apr.

Garaged - and not used AT ALL.

The worst of the worst are the vehicles that are in the rust belt, and some idiot decides that it's good to drive them on salted roads and then park them in a nice warm garage so the salt water can really go to work.

I have a d30 in the back of my MJ that we pulled out of a 92 XJ last weekend... the driver side coil perch is literally nonexistent, and the driver side LCA bracket actually rusted all the way off.

If you're gonna drive in the rust belt in the winter... park that junk outside so it stays cold and dormant, and wash it off when spring comes!

Garaged - and not used AT ALL.

The worst of the worst are the vehicles that are in the rust belt, and some idiot decides that it's good to drive them on salted roads and then park them in a nice warm garage so the salt water can really go to work.

I have a d30 in the back of my MJ that we pulled out of a 92 XJ last weekend... the driver side coil perch is literally nonexistent, and the driver side LCA bracket actually rusted all the way off.

If you're gonna drive in the rust belt in the winter... park that junk outside so it stays cold and dormant, and wash it off when spring comes!

Exactly. My dad would garage his truck, while my mother's k-car would sit outside. His truck erupted in rust, and mom's car didn't have a spot on it.

Back