• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can an alternator problem drain the BAT?

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I am reading a diode problem can cause the intermittent BAT drain problem I'm fighting. Does anyone have insights on this? I'm about to replace the alternator just to cross that off the list of potential causes. It all works fine for a while and then all of a suddenly my BAT voltage drops big time over night!

I have not seen the alternator diode thing, but your problem reminds me of a problem I had before. This may seem stupid, but it happenned to me, so I'll throw it out there anyway. My key was coming out of the ignition before it was FULLY in the off position. I had to carefully train myself (and my wife) to make sure that the key was in exactly the correct position. On mine you could tell because the little lights in the power window switches on the door stayed lit. I pulled out the lock cylinder and lubed it up good and it seemed to help. I also wiggle the key in the off position every time before I take it out. (Not much chance of wife doing that too.) This problem cost me the first battery in the Jeep.

A bad diode wouldn't be an intermittent problem. As Winterbeater mentioned, the ignition could be staying on. Another one that got me was the glovebox light wasn't fully closed and the light was staying on. Brakes lights not staying on either?

Back