• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camshaft?

reloader

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is the deal, i'm thinkin about getting an MJ. i found one for $200, but the owner says it needs a new camshaft. he said the camshaft bearing is wearing the teeth off of the distributer gear. he says it will crank and run but not for long because this all happens pretty fast. does this sound right or is this guy trying to put some broke down piece of shit off on me? but hey, for $200 not bad right?

what do you expect to get for $200?

for 200$, you will most likely have to fix more than just the camshaft.what is the condition of the truck? a new cam will still do the same thing unless you get new cam bearings. if what he says is correct, the cam is wobbling and chewing up the distributor gear.

could also be the wrist pin in the distributor holding the gear is broken. either way, are you able to do the work?

reloader said:
OK here is the deal, i'm thinkin about getting an MJ. i found one for $200, but the owner says it needs a new camshaft. he said the camshaft bearing is wearing the teeth off of the distributer gear. he says it will crank and run but not for long because this all happens pretty fast. does this sound right or is this guy trying to put some broke down piece of shit off on me? but hey, for $200 not bad right?

for $200.00, I snatch it up and find a decent running 4.0 in the bone yard for a few bucks more and swap 'em. rebuild the original as a spare with all the goodies you always wished you had time to put in your DD.

Hell yeah I'd get it in a heart beat. $200 is good enough to part it out. I would do what Shorty said.

Back