• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping near the Springs?

Kaczman

Lurker
NAXJA Member
I'm heading out this weekend to get and away and am looking for a good spot to camp. I haven't spent much time south of Denver so I'm not familiar with much down there. Do you Springs guys have any suggestions for the area? Anything under couple hours away would be ideal, and don't want to stay in a campground. Thanks

-Jon

If you go up Eagle Rock there are some decent little spots. That trail varies on difficulty from time to time. It's been about a year since I have been up there so I really have no idea how it is these days.

There is some decent camping on both the Gold Camp network (Eagle Rock) as well as on Mount Herman Road, and Rampart Range Road in between -- problem is traffic and asshats. Colorado Springs is a bigger city than it seems, and has more than its share of irresponsible drinking/shooting asshats, along with typical teenage partiers, that make otherwise cool, close, local campsites kindof bring the suck... We usually drive a bit further up to Park County and camp on China Wall if we're trying to stay closeish, but there have been asshats there of late as well, particularly since the USFS saw fit to drag a grader up the trail and make it accessible to subarus.

Would it be better to go south towards Canyon City to get away from the crowds? I'll be driving the tow rig (Dodge 2500) so the wheeling will need to be mild at best. Somewhere scenic with hiking trails would be right up my alley if it's possible. Thanks for the leads so far.

-Jon

The Crags is on the way to Cripple Creek. NF campground, but some nice hiking.

Or take a right in Divide, and head down CR 360? toward Hackett Gulch. Lots of camping back in there. My friend hauls his large trailer up in there somewhere.

I have hiked at Crags, very cool. Never camped there, though.

to the Crags, take 24 west from the springs, south on 67 towards Cripple Creek, it will be on your left maybe 5-8 miles from the turn.

Rampart Range road is still closed isn't it? The crags is a great spot, I was up there last weekend, you drive through the free spots first and keep going you'll hit the actually established spots. 14 dollars for a night, and there is pit toilets and drinkable water pumps. Since it is so late in the season rather empty up there also.

pretty sure its open -- they had some temp closures for the fire, and last couple of weeks for fire/flood mitigation, but its still open for the season as far as I know...

The last time I checked Rampart was still closed from Garden of the Gods up to Woodland.

We lucked out and got one of the better free spots. Thanks for the tips! The Crags hike is pretty cool and there were plenty of aspens in full color.

-Jon

Back