• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper/cylinder compatibility.

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I'm about at my wits end here.
A few years ago I stuck some KJ rear calipers on my XJ D44. At some point shortly after that, I also swapped out to the WJ knuckles with akebono calipers. At some point, my rear brakes just stopped being awesome and hoping someone may have the answer.

The problem is that the rears just won't work hard. With a regular bleed (starting at farthest corner and working my way to driver front), once I'm done I throw it up on stands, chuck it in gear and let it idle. With my 200lbs pushing to the floor, I can barely get the rears to stop, just working against idle. This was with my 4.0L/AX15 in first as well as my now 5.3L/4l65E, 4.56 gears. Something very wrong.
I figured out that if I pull one of the rears off and extend the piston a bit, then compress the piston back in with some big pliers, then re-assemble, the rears get much stronger, but still weak as hell. IE: They'll lock up on the trail, but almost nothing on the street. The front will lock up my 35's on dry pavement, but the rears do almost nothing. I gave up at some point because the fronts worked so well, but as I keep adding mass, I really need the rears working as well.

I burned through my first set of new rear pads in about a season or two and installed another set 3 months ago. That new set I just burned through the other day, so I picked up some more rotors/pads, realized my caliper pistons were a bit sticky so threw in some new calipers as well. Once again, when I bleed the system, the rears do almost nothing. I had my buddy put about 1" of brake pedal, which locks up the fronts to the point that I can't turn them by hand, but that same 1" leaves the rears barely grabbing.
I verified the prop valve was not closing off the rear (paper clip in the hole) until about 3/4 pedal, which is more than enough to lock up the fronts on dry pavement. I then cracked a bleeder open on the front caliper to test a theory. I figured it's gotta be a piston volume issue, and that the fronts were requiring far less fluid than the rears, so opening the fronts should allow my buddy to push the pedal down further, and sure enough, the rears lock up like they should.

So, what I figure is that despite the front's being dual piston from a WJ, they simply use less fluid volume than the KJ rears, so when I jam on the brakes, the fronts are fully engaged and thus preventing the pedal from travelling far enough to properly engage the rears. What kills me, is that both these calipers are used successfully (but seperately) by thousands of people. I figure it's gotta be that the combination of the WJ and KJ calipers just don't work together with a 50/50 proportion from the MC.

So that said, does anyone actually know? I've never found anyone else running the WJ and KJ together.
Also, assuming I'm right, and the rear volume requirement is just way higher, is there anything I can stick inline somewhere to properly balance the brakes? (ps. a prop valve does not have anything to do with front rear balance until your foot is on the floor. Modifying it doesn't help me because the fronts are already locked up well before the rears start biting, which is exactly the opposite of what a prop valve modification would do for me).

You could run a proportioning valve opposite of the "norm" and dial the front back. Are you still running the stock MC? Crown Automotive has a couple larger than stock bore MC's for the XJ.

Running the prop backwards wouldn't help either because it's still a 50/50 split until somewhere around 3/4 pedal. Yes, when I hammered on it, it might work, but for regular driving it'd be no change.

Same goes with a new MC, even if it's larger. Because the brakes are split 50/50 in pretty much all MC's, I could have 10x more volume available, but it would never get used because the fronts engage way before the rears, and that prevents the pedal from going down further.

I don't even recall what MC I'm using at this point. I've swapped so many things out so many times. It's PROBABLY an XJ MC and prop housing with ZJ internals, but again, none of that matters because ultimately the problem seems to be a big disparity between the front and rear piston volumes. That's the only answer I can come up with , unless somehow either I'm not getting air bled out of the rear somewhere, or there's a bulging hose, but I haven't been able to find either.

Bench bled the MC heaps of times successfully for tonnes of other vehicles, including other XJ's, so I can't imagine I"m ****ing it up just on mine.

I havne't been able to find the piston volume listed fro the WJ/Akebono calipers anywhere, but my guess is they're probably half what the KJ rears use.

call wilwood.
give brake bore information.
buy whatever proportioning unit they sell you.
adjust until happy.

You're talking about the proportioning valve aren't you? That only affects hard braking. My problem starts well before hard braking. Put the pedal down 2" and the fronts can't be moved by hand but the rears aren't even engaged yet (can still spin by hand). 3" at the pedal locks up the fronts on dry pavement, but can still move the rears by hand. The prop valve is still open at that point. Doesn't close until 4.5-5" of pedal.

it's not a factory valve. it will cut in at 100 PSI if you want, then dump up to 60% of the line pressure.

Again, that doesn't help. The prop valve only operates at high pressure. I'm having problems at low pressure first (ie: the first inch or two of pedal).

I understand that if the problem only affected me in emergency braking (high pressure) and the rears weren't getting enough fluid volume/pressure on hard braking, increasing the prop valve pressure would be the answer, but my problem is BEFORE the prop valve comes into play.

Also, before I figured that out, I did install a much larger spring from a 4w disc ZJ, and it made no difference because again, the pedal only moves about 2" to lock up the fronts, but that's not enough to even engage the rears. THe prop valve has not popped, the fronts are locked, but i can spin the rears by hand with some effort.

so 100 psi is high line pressure in a disc brake system?

ok.

have fun tossing parts at it.

I'm not arguing what is high pressure or not. I'm arguing that the PV doesn't make sense because the PV only operates at high pressure under hard braking, and my problem is during ALL braking. High or low pressure. Fronts lock up with 2" of pedal while the rears can still be spun by hand, and I've confirmed that the PV has not popped at that point. I've even removed the PV entirely to verify, and it had no affect, thus, the rear must not be getting sufficient pressure/volume at any pedal stroke.

Either you're not understanding the problem, or you don't know how, why, or when a PV does it's job. It has absolutely zero affect on light braking, which is where my problem starts.

OK. Try this.
Jack the right front tire up and spin it by hand. Listen to the noise the brakes make. A slight rasp should be it. If you look at the pad where it touches the rotor, it should just barely touch.
Compare this to the rear. Does the pad seem to touch the rotor at all? Can you hear it drag ever-so-faintly?
There is such a thing as a low-drag caliper. GM started with them in about 1980, along with redesigned master cylinders to take up that extra slack a little faster in the pedal stroke. I can't find any information on which other mfg's started using them or when they might have. I kind of assume it's standard. BUT - I'm way out on a limb here - perhaps the KJ has low drag calipers & quick take-up master cylinder, which would explain a lack of grab until deeper in the pedal.
It's worth mentioning that the KJ was designed after the WJ and has 1/16" larger MC bore, despite having the same rear caliper bore & slightly less piston size up front (big single in the KJ vs moderate double in the WJ)
I'd be a bit surprised to find that you really had mismatched low-drag & standard calipers and that this was the problem but it's worth a shot.
All else fails... just put a Durango MC in there and see how it goes.

OK. Try this.
Jack the right front tire up and spin it by hand. Listen to the noise the brakes make. A slight rasp should be it. If you look at the pad where it touches the rotor, it should just barely touch.
Compare this to the rear. Does the pad seem to touch the rotor at all? Can you hear it drag ever-so-faintly?
There is such a thing as a low-drag caliper. GM started with them in about 1980, along with redesigned master cylinders to take up that extra slack a little faster in the pedal stroke. I can't find any information on which other mfg's started using them or when they might have. I kind of assume it's standard. BUT - I'm way out on a limb here - perhaps the KJ has low drag calipers & quick take-up master cylinder, which would explain a lack of grab until deeper in the pedal.
It's worth mentioning that the KJ was designed after the WJ and has 1/16" larger MC bore, despite having the same rear caliper bore & slightly less piston size up front (big single in the KJ vs moderate double in the WJ)
I'd be a bit surprised to find that you really had mismatched low-drag & standard calipers and that this was the problem but it's worth a shot.
All else fails... just put a Durango MC in there and see how it goes.

Heh. Sorry, I've got two or three threads on this subject going at this point and between them I've described everything I've done and tested. Incidentally, when I google for KJ bore size, or cylinder/caliper compat, I always come up with only my threads.

When I lift the Jeep off the ground, all wheels spin freely. If I give it a little brake pedal, the fronts start grabbing at 1" pedal, and lock to the point where I can't turn them by hand at 2". On the street, the fronts lock up on wet pavement at 3", and dry at 4".
With the pedal at 1", the KJ rears haven't started grabbing. at 2" (where the fronts can't be turned by hand, the KJ's will spin about a half turn if I reef on them. Keep in mind, I've also got a locker between the wheels, so that half a turn is driving both tires, as well as the t-case. At 3" the KJ's start firming up to the point that I struggle to turn them, but they still turn. At 4" I can still turn them by hand if I throw all my weight/strength into it. At 4.5", I can't turn them by hand anymore.

Same test, but using engine idle in drive. 1" the rears do nothing. 2" nothing. 3" I can finally hear the motor starting to notice the resistance. 4" they're still spinning. 4.5" still spinning, 5" and they'll come to a stop slowly.
If I spin the rears up to 100km/h (still on the stand) and stomp on the brake, the rears will stop, but not like a full lockup. Takes about a full second to come to a complete stop. Give it 10" throttle and they're spinning like I have no brakes.

Just for reference, if I throw it in 4x4 (still on stand), with the rear DS disconnected, the fronts lock instantly at 2.5" from 100km/h. Put the rear DS back on and disconnect the rear calipers entirely, and 2.5" of pedal will lock up all 4 wheels instantly, through the driveline.

This is what I've suspected for a long time, but hate throwing money at a problem without being very confident I know what the problem is. The KJ calipers are low drag, as you've suggested, or they expect more fluid volume than the WJ's. I think the reason the KJ's work with XJ fronts is because the XJ fronts actually require more volume than the WJ fronts. This makes sense because most of the guys with WJ fronts still have the drums on the back, which also require less volume than the XJ fronts, and guys with KJ rears usually have XJ fronts, which use more volume than the WJ's.
Most MC bores are slightly smaller on the secondary piston, to provide a little more bias towards front. I think a combination of the XJ MC (with a smaller bore in the secondary piston on the MC) with the WJ front calipers (presumably lower volume requirement than the XJ fronts) and the KJ rears (presumably larger volume requirement than anything else) is sorta the perfect storm for shitty rear braking.

That said, the other possibility is that my MC's secondary piston is leaking, and a new MC will fix this. The only reason I haven't just swapped it out is because I want to KNOW. I hate throwing parts at a problem like a retard. In my line of work, there is very little opportunity for guess and test, as a **** up costs a few tens of thousands of dollars. I go about troubleshooting everything else in the same manner.

But, as is being discussed in my old thread, I'm going to actually measure the bore of the KJ caliper piston today. I don't have a spare WJ caliper to measure, but from everything I've heard, it's slightly smaller overall than the XJ front, due to the dual piston design.

The question will be, once I've measured the pistons, if I find that the KJ really does require more volume, what do I do? Throwing on a larger bore MC wouldn't help because ultimately no matter how much volume I have available at the MC, the lower volume of the fronts will prevent sufficient volume to the rears, as the pedal will stop way before the rears get the volume they need. At that point, I either need to figure out a way to get more volume to the rear, or more to the front to allow more MC travel for more volume to the rear, or I need to just say **** it, throw out my brand new rear brakes and find something with the correct volume to match the WJ fronts.
*sigh*.

Given my rig is 5000lbs, I really don't want to go to a smaller rear caliper. Is there anything bigger that'll fit (or can be made to fit) to an XJ D44, or is it going to be time to say **** it and do the tonnes?

Go to rockauto.com and take advantage of what they list with each part number. It's a 48mm bore caliper (the KJ rear).
I hear you on wanting to *know* what's up but you are over thinking this. Put a Durango MC on there. The WJ fronts definitely take more fluid than the KJ rears. Dual 48mm pistons on a WJ front vs single 48mm in rear. Stop arguing with everything everyone advises on any of your "WTF?!" threads, too :)
That last is from a guy who does the same thing all too often, btw

Back