• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

calico pics from this weekend!

Yeah, hahahaa
would like to build a Cherokee type deal.

-Frankie

some guy in europe actually sells a XJ body. Its way expensive but im soo tempted to buy it.
big_6762630_0_627-450.jpg

this is just for the body.
http://scaleoffroad.de/pageID_4281863.html
this is the whole kit.
http://scaleoffroad.de/pageID_3668497.html

i think its abit much for the RTR kit but them again all i really need is the body. I have a buddy who cuts out chassis frame rails at work.

its a good thing i didnt go wheeling cause it seems like my U joint nearest to the Transfer case ( rear ) is going bad. So now i have to change it and since i never done work on a RWD vehicle, it might be interestting. How hard is it to remove it while still in the jeep? I noticed that where it attaches to the rear axle it has a strap with bolts. The other side does not.

You just remove those four screws at the axle end and slide the shaft out of the tcase. Then take it into the garage and change the joint.

I've been a NAXJA member for a long time but have been putting my time and money into my 69CJ5. However I have a stock 95 XJ. I would really like to go on some of these Calico trips. I'm not a rock crawler (yet!) but would like to gt to know people and watch the serious people. What would the minimum mods I'd need to do to my Jeep? I'm done with the CJ now and want to start on the XJ.
MYXJ21009002.jpg

Gregg

I've been a NAXJA member for a long time but have been putting my time and money into my 69CJ5. However I have a stock 95 XJ. I would really like to go on some of these Calico trips. I'm not a rock crawler (yet!) but would like to gt to know people and watch the serious people. What would the minimum mods I'd need to do to my Jeep? I'm done with the CJ now and want to start on the XJ.
MYXJ21009002.jpg

Gregg

Rock rails... rock rails.. rock rails....... front and rear tow points...... locker or LS would help and, well, a bit more rubber would make things easier. Also lower gearing helps.

That being said, I've seen a nearly stock vehicle with rock rails go through the trail with one scratch BUT things happen. The less you have, the higher the likelyhood of damage.

Rock rails... rock rails.. rock rails....... front and rear tow points...... locker or LS would help and, well, a bit more rubber would make things easier. Also lower gearing helps.

That being said, I've seen a nearly stock vehicle with rock rails go through the trail with one scratch BUT things happen. The less you have, the higher the likelyhood of damage.

Don't forget those toe hooks front and rear just incase u have to give me a tug......SANTA

Thanks, you can't see them in the picture but I have tow hooks in the front (I flat tow it behind the RV) and a class 3 hitch to put a tow point into the rear. It has an 8.25 rear that seems to have traction control as I can't spin one wheel in the mud. I've taken this around the edges of Bullfrog and was really impressed by how well it did. I banged the hitch once but it does really well for a stocker. The pictures you guys post are pretty nasty, are there go arounds on those trails? This XJ is now a trail rig as I just bought a new truck. I was thinking I'd need to do at least a 2.5-3 inch lift as a minimum but you're suggesting rock rails as the first step? I'm not particularly worried about dings but if I undrstand the rails help it slide over rocks? The tires are new so I figure I'll wear them out a bit before stepping up in size a little. My wife reminds me on a regular basis how much money I have into rebuilding the CJ5 so I need to go slow :=))

I would say the minimum to have a good chance of non-breakage would be 3 inch lift, 31's, one locker, rock sliders. With that you can do almost anything there and probably never need a strap. Get a CB too so you can hear whats going on between rigs. You could always leave your tires alone and do a 3 inch lift...nobody will notice :D

Back