• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22, 2016

Re: Calico Night Run Saturday Oct. 22

Hay Tim, sorry to see the carnage, I have an extra late model rear glass, its yours if you want it, good luck on the repair.

Dean

WOW! Talk about a flashback. Good to see you're still around Dean, and still red!

You'll have to come out for the rematch.
:party:

OK, the hole is gone but not forgotten. There is a lot more to this repair than what you can see in this pic. I started on the inside and worked my way out.

20161204_132140.jpg

Whether I put the LCA bracket back on or not I will be plating the frame on both sides of the XJ.

20161204_134120.jpg

Actually I'll be running this piece a little more forward

20161204_141150.jpg

IF this were to go back I'd have to get rid of some of the sheet metal Klingons.

20161204_133605.jpg

Going with long arms is one option but the MJ has gotten to the Jeep budget first. At least it's helping.

20161201_143457.jpg

All things considered I've opted to make some custom Drop Brackets for the time being making sure to not interfere with what a 3 or 4 link LA setup would involve or maybe a mid arm set up.

Note: this is not a tech thread, just a little show and tell about what was starting out as a great trail run; and my preparation for a rematch.

Here are a couple examples of my efforts toward said rematch.

:)

I used 1/8" ABS plastic as a template. I heated it with a heat gun to bend it to the correct shape. Because I used the steel I bent earlier as the form the radius was 1/8" out of course; not building a piano here. It worked fine.

1/8" pattern and 1/4" part. I used some strong HF magnets for holding my patterns as well as for alignment stops for the steel parts.

UCA brackets sitting in position on the 3/16" inner frame plating. There exact location is scribed into each of the plates. I know, I jumped the gun on the paint but it was effective at checking the edges of my welds.

Left and right UCA brackets. I ground the top just slightly so they are accurate alignment points in relation yo the new UCA bolt centers.

Another view of an UCA bracket. Welds aren't super pretty but they are in there. Whenever I do a series ot 3/4 - 1" beads side to side, corner to corner they never make me happy. Definitely will be wearing my glasses for the rest of the project too. While it was raining I wore them making an Odyssey/Diehard hold down bracket-much better.

I'm going to butt joint the vertical parts on top of the horizontal and run the bead where the horizontal runs by the vertical by about 3/16". The grooved area is where my LCA bracket runs past the horizontal so the joint will have to be flush. You can slightly see the etched marks for locating the upper brackets. The slightly smaller hole (27/64) is the exact location or the stock brackets; location 0;0;0. The other holes are 1/2" for welds.

New face piece for the frame. This is 1/4", all other is 3/16 with a couple 1/8" pieces in a couple of odd spots along the (remaining) interior pinch seam near the crossmember.

Another view of the bends fitment. It will slide back awey from the edge when attached. I just have it up there to verify the angle and the radius. The patch I had to do on the factory rail is to the left. The new parts, both vertical and horizontal run past the repair at both ends, and the remodeling I did at the inside pinch seam.

I have the outer pieces cut and waiting for rosette holes. I've been tossing a couple versions of the dropped LCA mounts around in my head. Either version will incorporate the factory adjusters for alignment. It just seems like they are going to be monstrosities hanging off the bottom of the frame. But I guess I can't get a 4" drop with a low profile streamlined bracket.

Oh well. I did want to run drop brackets before ever deciding to go with long arms. This is working out perfectly then.

Calico is calling...

Last edited:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
20170329_160417_resized.jpg

I've still got a couple small pieces to cut for the LCA brackets but not much.

This isn't fun any more.
:laugh3:

I told you how I would fix it......we would have been done by now .!. :D .!.

I told you how I would fix it......we would have been done by now .!. :D .!.
No we wouldn't; we're still waiting on Tim to finish plating the rest of the frame. It's his fault!

No we wouldn't; we're still waiting on Tim to finish plating the rest of the frame. It's his fault!

Effing Tim, he's always slowing down progress. I guess it gives me time to drop in my new engine so we can go play.

Effing Tim, he's always slowing down progress.

SLOWLY making progress. Look at all the cool stuff I made with the drill press! Didn't even kill a drill bit.

20170608_100957_resized.jpg

Now that the rain has stopped I don't need the tarp any more. Time to return the borrowed glass.

20170412_175843_resized.jpg

Inside and outside plating is done, UCA brackets are on and it's finally time to mock-up some dropped LCA brackets. Don't wanna hear it Avery! ;)

20170615_101422.jpg

While things are out of the way I'm going to replace the pan gasket, rear main and the filter adapter seal.

Before the rematch i'm going to have to replace the sliders I gave away. A Cleghorn AAT will make a good shakedown run without them, though.

lmao

no...not if you listened to me to begin with....lmao

lmao

no...not if you listened to me to begin with....lmao

Did you SEE the hole?
:laugh3:

You know I was worried I wouldn't get my engine replaced in time to wheel with you??

Finished the engine, sold the jeep, already have the next xj swapped to 4x4 and on 35's. :roflmao:

Is that with or without slave labor?

And in case you didn't pick up on it in conversation, I'm a little slow.

Last edited:

Before the rematch i'm going to have to replace the sliders I gave away. A Cleghorn AAT will make a good shakedown run without them, though.

Don't take the one bypass with the drop-off without rockrails, mine took a decent hit on that drop.

Don't take the one bypass with the drop-off without rockrails, mine took a decent hit on that drop.
I was planning on catching air on that one.

Make sure to have someone catch that on video.

Well, the LCA dropped brackets are tacked up. I think I'll tack them in place temporarily to the frame and verify things before I finish welding them up.

When all is said and done I figure I've lowered my center of gravity a good six inches.

Despite what I've been told there actually is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Back