• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA legal front pipe replacement.

I've had my renix XJ fail twice for no check engine light when you turn the key on.

It all depends on what idiot is working that day.

ran into this at a dodge/jeep dealer a few yrs ago --- finally with my chiltons and the service manager they were convinced we didn't have one :flipoff:

thanks for all the tips guys. i ended up using the tail section (after muffler back) from an 87 parts jeep i have. it was muddy, but after cleaning it off it looked real good. it may be an aftermarket because the hanger does not have the mushroomed end to help keep the rubber dampener on, just a bend at the end. i had to use some of those adapters/reducers to make it fit up to the 2.5 outlet of the muffler. the down pipe from the 87 was in about the same shape as the stock one i have now, so i just kept the same one on. welded the flange to the universal CA legal cat and fit it up to the muffler, but then made another straight tube with an extra flange i had. just used a HD clamp to attach the tube to the muffler for now until i finish the tune. i want to make sure it is burning good before i install the cat. don't want to risk a rich mixture going through the new cat and contaminating it with unburnt fuel. plus i want to completely burn the rest of the fuel from the tank since i put a little sea foam in the tank. actually after doing the sea foam through the brake booster hose i wanted some to go through the injectors. so i mixed have a can with 1.5 gal of fuel and ran it through for a bit. burned most of it, then added a half a tank of fresh fuel. now want to burn the rest of that tank and install new tune up, fuel filter, oil change, plugs, cap and rotor. old cat and muffler must have been pretty clogged because the new exhaust made a big difference. plus it sounds alot better since the old muffler had holes all over it.
so for now, burn the rest of the fuel in tank, check all sensors, grounds, evap lines, finish tune, and when happy with it then install new cat and get it smogged. i will worry about a better exhaust system after i build the extra engine. i dont think my 240k mile engine needs it.

Back