• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstopage

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ya, I know how to search... but what’s the point in looking at a thread from 2009??? (Sorry Cal) but new products hit the market everyday, and well just wondering what’s out there?

Back story: My XJ probably has about 6”s of lift.. previous owner ditched the stock bump stops entirely so I need to find caps first of all.. I used the stock bump stop and insert on my old ZJ, but ran an inch and a half spacer above it and then 3 hockey pucks bolted to the spring perch.

The rig currently has limiting straps coming to a V to the axle... will be redoing that... funny I just figured out that the yeep was missing the bump stops entirely, been chasing so many other gremlins.

So, for starters, can anyone confirm this matches your XJ?
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/crown...8859666174__aud-320825496947:pla-673197193852

Plan is to keep it cheap and soft. Some of the aftermarket rubber extended bumps seemed too hard and robbed my buddies of up travel back in the day... has this changed?

I know I can go to a junk yard for the stock caps... but the closest one ain’t close, and may be closed.

Silly threads I’ve been making lately, I know... but what else is goin on?!

Thanks yall

If you are referring to the Prothane coil insert bumpstop thread, I've been running thesis setup for 12+yrs and 120k miles and they just keep doing the job.

I wasnt reffering to any particular thread...

Is that the one that goes on the sprin perch? Some of the links were dead

So this is instead of hockey pucks? Is it a softer bump? Im in CO and they basically sell hockey pucks at the gas station is all...

Still need to get the top sorted too

First things first. Dont you know threads are useless without pictures ;)

I saw those fox air bumps and went hmmm kinda a secondary suspension . I'm now all for fox . I've never been one to buy nice thongs. I used to get whatever is cheap because they all do the same thing.

My bargain fox gladiator shocks made a believer of me. They arent all the same.

What are we talking about. Ohhh bumps I haven't been worried about bumpstop but I could see some limiter straps on the front of mine at some point.

Bump stops will be inside the coil on the front... I already have limiting straps, but the bumpstops are for the opposite side when flexing. Keeps you out of the wheel wells, which the straps do to a degree.

To be honest I don’t know that I need both... but with a softish rubber it should make the articulation at full flex gradual and provide some resistance pushing force down to the tire as well as keeping up travel in check. Where as the straps are dialed in for down travel.

They do work hand in hand and if not set properly the straps will prevent the bumps from ever making contact. Probably why the previous owner deleted them. He also had the straps to the center of the axle, which I’d rather them be toward the ends

Straps are to keep from turning shocks into limiting straps.

I've built bump stops into my fenders the tires contact them and they work well.

Except a hard landing will still be hard... Instead of bumped ;)

The idea of bump stops mounted inboard of your wheels/tires is to help force the opposite side down.

I've built bump stops into my fenders the tires contact them and they work well.

That's not what your supposed to do, besides possible damage to the body, you could also damage a tire, and worst of all brake a axle.

Thats my concern about running straps only..

To your point RCP... As in opposite side, we mean the opposite of the droop side ya? As the axle articulates down one way and up the other; bumpstops (done properly) will resist the side traveling up a little which provides downward force and, in turn, better traction to the wheel going up- right?

Any input on how to best achieve this (on the cheap? [already about $600 over budget on the LCA mount repair]) :D ? Hockey pucks on the perch, stock rubber and cap up top... Should be cherry ya?

Thanks

Last edited:
No, when to tire going up hits it bump stop,the leverage helps force the drooping tire down to make better contact the ground.

I' run these Prothane units inside my coils.

This thread is loaded with insight on deploying these units.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985677

My upper bump plate solution
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985677&page=7

Purchase option: https://thmotorsports.com/256368-pr...MI66Gu9LKB6QIVAdvACh2xPgQPEAQYAyABEgKZR_D_BwE

ptp-19-1704_xl.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 3" disc for the top idea...my stock upper spring perches are theaded on the bottom for the stock bumpstops, so should be a little easier then all you had to do.

I guess the benefit to this vs hockey pucks and stock upper bumpstop, would be progressive cushioning and a little more resistive force at full flex/compression that may provide added traction?

Last edited:
I like the 3" disc for the top idea...mine stock ulper spring perches are theaded on the bottom for the stock bumpstops, so should be a little easier then all you did.

I guess the benefit to this vs hockey pucks and stock upper bumpstop, would be progressive cushioning and a little more resistant force at full flex/compression that may provide added traction?

Correct, the Prothane units provide a progressive engagement and more efficient impact force transfer compared to a factory bumpstop and using hockey pucks as spacers.

The Prothane units are Ultra 4 Series, multiple KOH events and dune shenanigans air-time tested :thumbup:

158.jpg

IMG_5994-1.jpg

Ya I have a pair on the way- still figuring out the top... Need it to be wide enough to contact the rubber and not tear it up and has to be able to unscrew so that it can be installed after the spring is in place since the opening is so small on the top part of the spring

Turns out i just have holes in the bottom of my spring posts, not threads. Not sure how the stock stops were on there, but I will need to def weld a nut or something to it

Here's how did my prothane setup. On coil perch I welded a piece of 1.5" tube. Prothane slides into that perfectly to hold it in place. On top of the prothane is a 3" diameter piece of steel, with another piece of 1.5" tube welded to the bottom, to slide into the top of the prothane. Cut the upper post out completely, reinforced that area with plate, and then welded on a 2" OD tube. Welded a 1" nut inside the tube, and then threaded a 1" bolt into that to make it adjustable. Drilled and tapped the 1" bolt to accept one of those small rubber bump stops so there wouldn't be any metal to metal contact. Installing some new shocks this weekend so I can grab better pics if you're interested.
c502c61db034795404823367d3df98ae.jpg

I like that. A quick scan of the garage and all’s I found that may work are 3” pvc end caps. Although the rounded shape of it would be beneficial to the contact area with the poly, I don’t trust it will hold up in the long run and likely crack or something. Figuring out that the upper end isn’t threaded means I need to rethink it anyhow.

You used the stock end piece and bump stop? I’m not seeing the rubber to rubber you say... wouldn’t the diameter of it be a little small? And work it’s way into the poly? Or is the poly not hallow on the top side?

There's a bump stop like this threaded into the head of the 1" bolt. It's about 1.5" in diameter. Top of the prothane is hollow, but I have a steel plate on top of it.
d1a1495e857f6decd0fe5eef8aa29c0f.jpg

Back