• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Pics

:scared: :shocked: i don't know what to say! cool, but very big.:laugh3:

Last edited:
Thanks, saw a pic of one thought I'd try to build it. Got a lot of ideas off of this forum.

Ironmen77 said:
This is the first time I ever built a front bumper. It 'ought to be stout enough. Half inch plate six inch channel.
http://community.webshots.com/album/320671910DKvQLx?431
Do you think it will be okay?

Funny just sent a post on this issue.Installing the ½ inch bracket I like to see how you fit it on the frame.The sway bar must be very close if not rubbing on it. If you have any picture of it I appreciate it

Thanks
Zzzz

That looks really good!!! Up for making some more???

Starboard M said:
How much does that sucker weigh? :scared:

How is it mounted?

Be a fair bit I do think.
That is way over kill and if you hit something, everything will fold behind it and you will have to toss the whole Cherokee instead! There will be no impact obsorption which means your airbag will now go off a lot earlier like even if you were to nudge a tree off road. The extra weight will effect your handling as well and increase your tyre wear and reduce your lift height. More strain on all the front componants as well including shocks and bumpstops etc. It will even dive more under bracking reduce grip on the rear tyres and lengthening your stopping distance.
Why didn't you ask before you built it here? There are many that would have given great advice on how to do it.
Sorry to rain down on you for some good work otherwise as it was just the wrong material thickness, but would hate to see others follow suit. :wave:

There will be no impact obsorption which means your airbag will now go off a lot earlier like even if you were to nudge a tree off road.

Except airbags don't work that way. It's basically controlled by an accelerometer. So the bumper giving would have no effect. Rate of stop in motion.

I'm not one to knock others work....it looks good. I can agree that it is a little big....might have the same effect on the front end that a plow would have as far as sagging springs and such are concerned. But if you like it...and you have addressed the spring rates up front...great!

Holy approach angle. :laugh3:

Ironmen77 said:
Half inch plate six inch channel.
Using 6" Big Offroad front springs to clear those 235s? :D

Gojeep said:
That is way over kill and if you hit something, everything will fold behind it and you will have to toss the whole Cherokee instead! ... Sorry to rain down on you for some good work otherwise as it was just the wrong material thickness, but would hate to see others follow suit.

What thickness would you suggest? I'm looking to build a bumper soon

sayit said:
Except airbags don't work that way. It's basically controlled by an accelerometer. So the bumper giving would have no effect. Rate of stop in motion.

I'm not one to knock others work....it looks good. I can agree that it is a little big....might have the same effect on the front end that a plow would have as far as sagging springs and such are concerned. But if you like it...and you have addressed the spring rates up front...great!

um...youre wrong.

the bumper giving would reduce the maximum force transfered to the sensor. the total impulse would remain the same, just less abrupt and more prolonged.

oh yea, i like the bumper...just a tad too big for my taste.

twardozrally said:
What thickness would you suggest? I'm looking to build a bumper soon
.120 wall is plenty. It's a great balance between strength and weight.

Back