• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a Dana 30 with 30-spline axles

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
I scored a deal on a 30-Spline ARB, it's overkill for what I'm running (31's) but, I need a selectable locker for this build and the price was right.

Now, I need to think about axles. Obviously I will need 30-spline alloys for the inners but, 30-spline outers means new unit bearings (Right? Do the unit bearings applicate to something common?)

So, I started thinking: I've got plenty of spare TJ shaft sets around so, maybe just run stock 27-spline outers and 297x U-Joints keeping the weak point further out than the R&P) and keeping the cost down.

What do you think?

IIRC, Alloy USA makes 30 spline inners, outers and unit bearings...you can buy them all as a "package". But if you have the spare outers, doesn't hurt to just go with 30 spline inners (I think they are about $180-190 each!).

Even if you just got with the 30 spline inners, you can always upgrade down the road....I guess the only limit is your budget!

3XJFamily said:
I scored a deal on a 30-Spline ARB, it's overkill for what I'm running (31's) but, I need a selectable locker for this build and the price was right.

Now, I need to think about axles. Obviously I will need 30-spline alloys for the inners but, 30-spline outers means new unit bearings (Right? Do the unit bearings applicate to something common?)

So, I started thinking: I've got plenty of spare TJ shaft sets around so, maybe just run stock 27-spline outers and 297x U-Joints keeping the weak point further out than the R&P) and keeping the cost down.

What do you think?

I'd say if you don't want to spend the $$ on alloys (how many OE ones have you broken?) then call ARB and get the 27spl side gears. You take the locker apart and put the gears in. Keep the side gears for when you upgrade or want to sell the locker. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
I'd say if you don't want to spend the $$ on alloys (how many OE ones have you broken?) then call ARB and get the 27spl side gears. You take the locker apart and put the gears in. Keep the side gears for when you upgrade or want to sell the locker. ;)

You are a genius! I'll find out how much the side gears are tomorrow. Yeah, I don't see the OEM TJ shafts as being a problem with 31's. Alloys would be a waste, and I'd like to be able to have readily available trail spares.

Alloys are great but, I've been waiting 6 weeks for a replacement stub shaft for my CJ. . . Yeah, it's being replaced for free under warranty but, if I can't wheel it, so what.

ECKSJAY said:
You may have to get the side gears through a distributor, but they're available.

I've got my local distributer looking into the ARB parts. He needs to order a new air collar for the used ARB I picked up for the D44 anyhow.

After much internet searching I think I finally found my answer on the 30-Spline Grande axles. . . Seems there are 2 different 30-spline Alloy USA axle sets:

Alloy 30-spline inners / 30 spline outers with bearings and hubs about $1100

Alloy 30-spline inners / 27 spline outers about $550 = that's likely the option I'll go with if the ARB side gears are pricey

3XJFamily said:
Alloy 30-spline inners / 30 spline outers with bearings and hubs about $1100

Alloy 30-spline inners / 27 spline outers about $550 = that's likely the option I'll go with if the ARB side gears are pricey

The 30 spline outer kit comes with brand new timken unit bearings, which are going to cost you ~120+ each to buy in 27 spline at most shops. So your costs are $1100 vs $800-$900, not $550.

I would run the 30 spline inners and 27 spline alloy outers, don't run the stock outers - the ears of the axles are not hardened and while you think that is a good fuse .. its not. When the ear breaks, the inner shafts spins, contacts the outer shaft, and at a minimum breaks your balljoints - sometimes the knuckle too.

interferance.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

Myself, I'd rather have a broken ring gear! At least you can pull the inner shafts and get strapped off of the trail then.

cal said:
The 30 spline outer kit comes with brand new timken unit bearings, which are going to cost you ~120+ each to buy in 27 spline at most shops. So your costs are $1100 vs $800-$900, not $550.

I would run the 30 spline inners and 27 spline alloy outers, don't run the stock outers - the ears of the axles are not hardened and while you think that is a good fuse .. its not. When the ear breaks, the inner shafts spins, contacts the outer shaft, and at a minimum breaks your balljoints - sometimes the knuckle too.

Myself, I'd rather have a broken ring gear! At least you can pull the inner shafts and get strapped off of the trail then.

agreed, eventually you'll want to go bigger anyways. pony up and get the 30 spline stuff.
I've seen that combo (mismatched inners and outers ) break and do just that
or get 27 spline side gears and use your stock stuff, but plan on staying under 33's

Last edited:
Yeah, I see the issue with using the stock outers as a fuse, I've seen guys knock the ball joints out when they broke U-joints and didn't have the sense to stop! Bad idea.

Inchitis isn't an issue on this one - it's specifically being built as a "little" Jeep. . . I've already got two "big" Jeeps, (6 jeeps on the road) this "little" one (dare I admit TJ) is for my wife who wants nothing taller than the 2" OME lift that's on it. A mild-moderate trail rig and DD.

Stock unit bearings are in good shape, and I got spares. What does the 30-spline unit bearing applicate too? If 5 years from now one starts to grind, can I go to NAPA for parts?

Nope. Alloy-USA buys Timken unit bearings and has them broached out to 30 spline. I have 5 30 spline stubs and 3 30 spline unit bearings sitting in my garage (already sold..). I ran that setup before going to the 5x5.5 hub kit.

Cal, that's a deciding factor for going with 27 Spline outers and avoiding a proprietary hub for this project.

ECKSJAY, thanks for the info, the guy at ARB was particularly helpful and suggested I craigslist the more sought out RD104 side gears to get some of my money back:
Side gears to convert a RD104 (30-spline) to a RD100 (27-Spline)
131501H / 131601H list price about $90 each.

I know I'm cheaping out on this but I'm looking at 31" tires and a 4cyl.
The Dana 30 with an ARB and 27-spline TJ-shafts should be fine in front, the rear axle is a Dana 44 with 33-spline alloys so no issue there.

If you convert it to 27 spline, set your 30 spline side gears aside and PM me.

3XJFamily said:
ECKSJAY, thanks for the info, the guy at ARB was particularly helpful and suggested I craigslist the more sought out RD104 side gears to get some of my money back:
Side gears to convert a RD104 (30-spline) to a RD100 (27-Spline)
131501H / 131601H list price about $90 each.

I know I'm cheaping out on this but I'm looking at 31" tires and a 4cyl.
The Dana 30 with an ARB and 27-spline TJ-shafts should be fine in front, the rear axle is a Dana 44 with 33-spline alloys so no issue there.

Excellent! Good guys there!

Bit of trivia to help with your project. Jeep Rubicon (TJ/LJ) front 44 inner shafts are 30 spline and will work with your setup. ;) A bit harder to come by, but at least that'll expand your options for spares. :) I found this out when I worked at the 4wd shop and the Rubicons started rolling in. Nobody made alloys for them yet (that we could find) so I ordered a set of Superior Super 30 shafts since we had the outers off for a customer's hub conversion anyway. They were the same thing. party1:

Excellent! Good guys there!

Bit of trivia to help with your project. Jeep Rubicon (TJ/LJ) front 44 inner shafts are 30 spline and will work with your setup. ;) A bit harder to come by, but at least that'll expand your options for spares. :) I found this out when I worked at the 4wd shop and the Rubicons started rolling in. Nobody made alloys for them yet (that we could find) so I ordered a set of Superior Super 30 shafts since we had the outers off for a customer's hub conversion anyway. They were the same thing. party1:
Sorry to beat a death horse here.. but I'm looking for an answer.

A friend of mine bought a Dana 30 e-locker 30 splines for his TJ. Now he needs to buy 30 splines axle shafts. A set is over $600 dlls and will take forever to receive... and I'm wondering if the stock axle shafts from a TJ Rubicon D44 will be a direct bolt in swap?? Remember... I'm talking about a TJ Dana 30 with a 30 splines e-locker.

I appreciate any information.
-TNX

go with 30 spline inners as the thread says...

Who did you look up for 30 spline inners?

Most vendors can get dana 30 spline inners - rockauto even has them for pretty cheap - But you can get them cheaper from a vendor like rwkhaus or faves offroad on here.

if you only looked up one manufacturer from one vendor maybe thats the problem.

nitro
revolution
USA standard
G2

Pretty sure you can find stock somewhere

Thanks for your relpy.

Here:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-30-YJ-XJ-TJ-30-Spline-Front-Chromoly-Axle-Kit.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5564&t_pn=G%2f298-2031-002

and Here:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5564&t_pn=MIDMG22132

Those are "Dana 30 - 30 splines axle shafts"... "custom", "specially made". I understand that.

Now if the stock Rubicon TJ front Dana 44 axle shafts will work as a direct "drop and go" application I would just go get them cheaper and save over $200.

I don't think can use just the TJ D44 inners, because the TJ D44 uses a different (larger) u-joint vs. the Dana 30. So I better get the whole assembly for each side.

I'm ready to order but first I need someone to confirm these axles will be a direct bolt in for a Dana 30 with 30 splines locker.

Anyone?

Back