• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread for project "why am I doing this"

You guys sure are quiet here. 2k views and appx 10 responses. That's a half a percent response rate. Well if you half a per centers would chime in again here I'd appreciate it. I've read that the D 30 will take 33s pretty well. If I truss it can I go to 35 and keep a high level of reliability?

You just opened a huge can of worms. Some say its not worth doing anything to a 30. Some say you need RCV's, sleeved tubes, truss, mini skids on the lower control arms, basically plate everything you can.

It really depends on your driving style and the terrain you will be driving over.

You guys sure are quiet here. 2k views and appx 10 responses. That's a half a percent response rate. Well if you half a per centers would chime in again here I'd appreciate it. I've read that the D 30 will take 33s pretty well. If I truss it can I go to 35 and keep a high level of reliability?

If you don't drive like a total retard, a 30 will hold up to 35's for years without a problem. Most Cherokee's on 35's are running a Dana 30. Most of the vocal guys who will post up on this thread are not. Be prepared for a total shit show. ;)

If you want to pin the throttle while turned full lock to the right and bouncing on a waterfall, you'll eventually break it.

On 33's, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Hell, on 35's I wouldn't give it a second thought. That said though, my current and prior XJ's both had Dana 44's. Take it for what its worth.

You have to figure that many of us half-a-percent-ers have opened this thread a couple dozen times just to see if there are any new pretty pictures.

If we posted "Oh, shiny." every time you would have a much longer thread of near useless proportions.

IOW, it might be best if some of us keep our yaps shut most of the time.

:dunce:

:jester:

To be honest I doubt this thing gets much use. I'd like it to be able to take some fairly hard terrain. But it will never see moab or any of those other cool guy trails. I'd love to put a 44 in it but I doubt I'd use it enough to warrant the work and expense. I just don't want it to look stupid with a 5.5 inch lift and tiny tires. But I don't want the tires so big it won't cruise at 70 either.

Basically I need this rig to reliably cross the gnarliest railroad tracks, go through the deepest ditches, climb the ugliest curbs and be able to put tires on the hood of a highly sloped car hood.

Last edited:
You have to figure that many of us half-a-percent-ers have opened this thread a couple dozen times just to see if there are any new pretty pictures.

If we posted "Oh, shiny." every time you would have a much longer thread of near useless proportions.

IOW, it might be best if some of us keep our yaps shut most of the time.

:dunce:

:jester:

I can appreciate that. Silence truly is golden.

You only need to bind it once to break it. But if you don't plan to wheel it often you can always carry spare axle shafts or borrow somebody's. Its really economics and irritation factors after that. It gets expensive and annoying if you break them every weekend. Once a year outing, meh, not an issue.

ps--you can break it in the parking lot if you engage 4wd and/or lockers

Last edited:
To be honest I doubt this thing gets much use. I'd like it to be able to take some fairly hard terrain. But it will never see moab or any of those other cool guy trails. I'd love to put a 44 in it but I doubt I'd use it enough to warrant the work and expense. I just don't want it to look stupid with a 5.5 inch lift and tiny tires. But I don't want the tires so big it won't cruise at 70 either.

Basically I need this rig to reliably cross the gnarliest railroad tracks, go through the deepest ditches, climb the ugliest curbs and be able to put tires on the hood of a highly sloped car hood.

If you gear it right, it wont matter the tire size. My last trail rig cruised comfortably at 75 with 37's, and 5.13 gears. With 4.88's you're good for 35's or 33's, 4.56 33's or 32's.

Some people will scream about the RPM's, but trust me on this, the 4.0 has no problem running at 3,000 RPM's all day - and you will get better mileage spinning it fast with less load than running at 1700 RPM's and having to use a lot of throttle.

My current rig has gone for hours at a time without ever being under 4500 RPM and it just does not care. ;)

Except he is not going to stick with the 4.0L.

This project is probably largely driven by the conversion to the Mercedes diesel.

oh right. I forgot we're cutting the power in half and dropping the RPM range. ;)

I suppose 4.10's and 32's, and that dana 30 will be fine. :)

oh right. I forgot we're cutting the power in half and dropping the RPM range. ;)

I suppose 4.10's and 32's, and that dana 30 will be fine. :)

It's really not a big power drop initially. But an intercooler and a few other minor tweaks should get the power levels slightly above a stock 4.0.

I have a power rig. Sure don't need two fuel hogs.

I would love to see HP/Torque graphs for both the 4.0L and the Mercedes OM617.912 side by side. I am also curious just how much of a weight difference there is after dealing with all the required adapters, intercooler and whatever else ends up having to be added on.

I would love to see HP/Torque graphs for both the 4.0L and the Mercedes OM617.912 side by side. I am also curious just how much of a weight difference there is after dealing with all the required adapters, intercooler and whatever else ends up having to be added on.

If I can get this worked out I know a guy with a dyno. I might can work that out. I'm lifting it 7.5 total to compensate for the weight of the engine and all the other stuff I'm adding. Hoping it drops back to 5.5. The intercooler requires some pretty fancy aluminum fab work that I don't know the extent of yet. I'll look into it as I get there. The adapters and intercooler and motor mounts shouldn't add more than 40lbs. It's all aluminum except the mm. It's the bumpers winch cage and tool box I'm concerned about.

So is the point of changing the engine and supporting modifications just for Fuel efficiency? seems like the cost and labor involved would off set any money saved due to fuel savings. Not to mention the cost of desiel being much more than unleaded.

I don't know much about the Mercedes desiel conversion, so I could be missing the point entirely

Btw the axle looks good. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Honestly, the point is to make an EMP proof off road capable multi fuel vehicle. I'm not a crazy prepper or anything. There was a reference to an emp proof vehicle in a book I recently read and I thought it was an interesting concept and seemed like a fun project. I own a business and it mostly runs itself these days so I'm kind of bored during the days and have a few bucks to throw around. (Not rich I mean A FEW). So it seemed like a fun thing to do. I'm basically making a mad max xj. MAD MAXIMUM....I LIKE IT!

Last edited:
Never know what will happen with fuel availability period, so being able to run on anything is just smart thinking. Personally I would rather have a larger framed vehicle (like an 80s Suburban) with a much bigger powerplant. XJ is a pretty good choice though, lightweight w/ a short wheelbase, good off-road capability.

Honestly, the point is to make an EMP proof off road capable multi fuel vehicle. I'm not a crazy prepper or anything. There was a reference to an emp proof vehicle in a book I recently read and I thought it was an interesting concept and seemed like a fun project. I own a business and it mostly runs itself these days so I'm kind of bored during the days and have a few bucks to throw around. (Not rich I mean A FEW). So it seemed like a fun thing to do. I'm basically making a mad max xj. MAD MAXIMUM....I LIKE IT!

I gotcha, that makes sense haha. I was never into mad max, but I can Understand wanting to build something for the fun of it. I can dig it.

Never know what will happen with fuel availability period, so being able to run on anything is just smart thinking. Personally I would rather have a larger framed vehicle (like an 80s Suburban) with a much bigger powerplant. XJ is a pretty good choice though, lightweight w/ a short wheelbase, good off-road capability.

While I agree with the larger vehicle on some points, the weight causes fuel consumption issues. Also the strongest aftermarket appeared to be for the xj so it's capabilities could be increased at the least cost. Also I spent some time looking at which of my choices I saw the most of around my area (parts availability if no stores) and the xj won there too. Then there is the ease of diesel swap. Xj again. I figure the only real drawback is lack of cargo carrying capacity. But I can make a pretty decent copy of an old jeep style trailer. That on a pintle hitch would haul plenty of gear. And finally cost. XJs cost peanuts. The diesel cost 1000 for 2 of em, and I got 250 back from the scrap yard for the car body. So much competition in the aftermarket leads to low costs etc.

I gotcha, that makes sense haha. I was never into mad max, but I can Understand wanting to build something for the fun of it. I can dig it.

A part of my business is making body armor. And while selling some one time a man approached me trying to sell me some take off Kevlar plates from the inside of a c-130. They are 20 x 20 and rated for 50 bmg. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm thinking it might be fun to bullet proof my sheetmetal to the cab. I can get the plates really cheaply. While I seriously doubt I'd ever need my xj door to stop a 50 bmg....seems like a cool idea to me. So now I'm doing that too if the guy can produce the right quantity of plates. Just for grins. A bunch of what I do is just for the fun of doing it.

Back