• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build materials

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend has gotten me all motivated to build stuff. Right now im pricing out some steel. I need to make a front and rear bumper for my jeep, and if i feel confident enough, ill make some for my truck.. So my question is. Where do you get your steel? and if you were making a bumper, what thickness would you recommend? Im thinking about 3/16's to a 1/4 inch.

!/4 inch Saved my Jeeps life when some Dbag hit going about 40 mph broke all Ball joints and made the bumper smile. Im sure if it was any thinner I would have kissed it goodbye. Very heavy my bumper weighs about 100lb
IMG_2433.jpg

See just a little smile from a 40 mph hit heavy is worth it to me

!/4 inch Saved my Jeeps life when some Dbag hit going about 40 mph broke all Ball joints and made the bumper smile. Im sure if it was any thinner I would have kissed it goodbye. Very heavy my bumper weighs about 100lb

See just a little smile from a 40 mph hit heavy is worth it to me

It looks more like a smirk.. just the driver side is up.. But, 1/4 is pretty expensive, A properly supported 3/16's bumper should be fine. and i wont pull my back just trying to install it.

So, Now that i have an insight as to what thickness i should go, does any one know where the cheapest place is to get steel? Relatively close to Travis AFB...94535 i dont want to gap the savings with the cost of diesel.

Valley Iron in vacaville quoted me $281 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4"

Oh, also.. Check out this plasma cutter and give me your thoughts. PLASMA CUTTER on Amazon

Plasma probably sucks. Any plasma that can cut 1/2 inch is gonna cost 1k. As with any plasma, you need an absolutely water free airsupply.

So, What you're saying is.. Take out and auto loan and buy the HyperTherm MAX200 For about $20,000.00

Plasma probably sucks. Any plasma that can cut 1/2 inch is gonna cost 1k. As with any plasma, you need an absolutely water free airsupply.
actually i built my entire jeep using a plasma just like that. it was a different brand (called a Cut 50), but identical otherwise. i cut an assload of 3/16" steel with it, and some thicker stuff as well. i've blown holes through at least 1/2" thick metal with it, considering i used it to not only cut my hp d44 axle tubes in half, but also to burn out the rosette welds at the housing. it cuts 3/8" stuff rather easily. i havent tried the 3/4" or 1" stuff that they advertise it can cut, but i suspect it would, just not very clean.

here's the one i got, but the price seems to have gone up as i got mine for 300 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Plasma-...642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8d49222
it shipped out of san diego so i got it next day.
I had an old broken plasma kicking around with a nice thermal dynamics torch on it, which i easily swapped on, so now i can get my consumables at any local welding supply place.

the unit is pretty small and light, and very quiet. it comes with the regulator and filter, but i seem to remember having to buy my own plug. i run it off of a 220v outlet.

Vanimal said:
actually i built my entire jeep using a plasma just like that. it was a different brand (called a Cut 50), but identical otherwise. i cut an assload of 3/16" steel with it, and some thicker stuff as well. i've blown holes through at least 1/2" thick metal with it, considering i used it to not only cut my hp d44 axle tubes in half, but also to burn out the rosette welds at the housing. it cuts 3/8" stuff rather easily. i havent tried the 3/4" or 1" stuff that they advertise it can cut, but i suspect it would, just not very clean.

here's the one i got, but the price seems to have gone up as i got mine for 300 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Plasma-Cutter-50AMP-CUT50D-Inverter-Dual-Voltage-/110743556642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8d49222
it shipped out of san diego so i got it next day.
I had an old broken plasma kicking around with a nice thermal dynamics torch on it, which i easily swapped on, so now i can get my consumables at any local welding supply place.

the unit is pretty small and light, and very quiet. it comes with the regulator and filter, but i seem to remember having to buy my own plug. i run it off of a 220v outlet.
How clean where your cuts through 1/4" and 3/16's?

metal craft warehouse has the best prices around sac I've found.

Those two plasma's look very similar. The one Dan posted looks to be a little better. It said 1in severance vs the other saying 3/4 I believe. Dan, what is the rating on the circuit you run this on ?
i run it on a 30a circuit.
this is 3/16", cut is clean if you have a steady hand, good ground, and a guide to run the nozzle along. there's a little slag on the back side, but nothing that doesnt come off. 1/4" looks about the same.

7789979794_d1d24d18f9_b.jpg

after this thread i was curious if it would cut 3/4", so i tried it out. the cut is ugly, but i freehanded it without a guide and it was cutting into the brick underneath so it's covered in slag. in the right conditions, i think it would cut ok.
7791333994_bf4fabc370_c.jpg

after this thread i was curious if it would cut 3/4", so i tried it out. the cut is ugly, but i freehanded it without a guide and it was cutting into the brick underneath so it's covered in slag. in the right conditions, i think it would cut ok.
7791333994_bf4fabc370_c.jpg

i have no use for anything ever sold at harbor freight. it's all junk.
i have a hypertherm powermax 45 & it kicks ass.

what i really need to know about is the tokyo health spa. :rolleyes:

i have no use for anything ever sold at harbor freight. it's all junk.
i have a hypertherm powermax 45 & it kicks ass.

what i really need to know about is the tokyo health spa. :rolleyes:
good for you, didnt make sense to spend that kind of money on something i wasnt going to use much (and it isnt harbor freight). it was either that or cutoff wheels, and at $300, it could die tomorrow and i'd still be ahead. i only posted it up because the OP was considering getting one.

good for you, didnt make sense to spend that kind of money on something i wasnt going to use much (and it isnt harbor freight). it was either that or cutoff wheels, and at $300, it could die tomorrow and i'd still be ahead. i only posted it up because the OP was considering getting one.

you missed the real question:
"what i really need to know about is the tokyo health spa. :rolleyes:"
so...wtf?

you missed the real question:
"what i really need to know about is the tokyo health spa. :rolleyes:"
so...wtf?
LOL it's a little old place in CT where you can get loved long time. or maybe an hour, i dont recall. (it is actually a real place though)
i just put it on there to tease all the people who put "ask me about rwkhaussupply" in their sigs to try and get around the no advertising rule they made a stink about a few months back. :D

Back