• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BTF Cross-Over Steering Knuckle, install write-up

I installed the same bracket last year and ran into problems with the bracket limiting the left turning radius. The bracket would hit the right coil spring about 1/2 way through the turn. I ended up triming down the front of the bracket and welding in a new gusset and it works great.

What did you do about your trackbar? Do you have any pics of your modification?

It is tough to see the bracket mods based on these pictures. Basically, I drilled a 5/8" hole as close to the "tire" side of the bracket and still have clearance for the heim joint. Then I cut off as much of the bracket that was interfering with the coil. During this process, I added a few extra gussets to maintain the strength. It works great - now the turning radius is only limited by the tie rod hitting the coil spring buckets in which I shaved down as well.

picture.php

picture.php

It is tough to see the bracket mods based on these pictures. Basically, I drilled a 5/8" hole as close to the "tire" side of the bracket and still have clearance for the heim joint. Then I cut off as much of the bracket that was interfering with the coil. During this process, I added a few extra gussets to maintain the strength. It works great - now the turning radius is only limited by the tie rod hitting the coil spring buckets in which I shaved down as well.

I'm just getting my steering linkage together, it looks like you used 1.25"OD tube is that right? I am using 1.5"OD DOM
You mentioned it hitting the coil buckets, which isn't a problem for me, but its looking like my tie rod is going to hit my RuffStuff dif cover. Was that a problem for you?
Also, the upper mount (drag link) did it fit your heim and 2 misalignment spacers properly? I can't fit the heim with the spacers... the gap is about 1/8" too tight. I measured the gap, its 1.62" and it should be 1.75"
I am emailing BTF, hoping to get some help on the subject.

thanks

Keep us up to date on your progress.

I'm waiting on my BTF Steering Knuckle...hoping it comes this week.
I mocked the steering up and it hit the springs and diff cover. I plan to move my tie rod forward by modifying the BTF piece and I fabricated a similar bracket for the driver side that picks up two of the unit bearing bolts and the tie rod mounting point (drilled out to 5/8). By doing this the it will move the tie rod forward 1" and shorten it approximately 5". At full turn (L & R) it’s about 1 ½” away from my Riddler diff cover and I’m running 1 ½ Chromo .250 wall tubing as my drag link and tie rod with heim ends. The tie rod won’t hit anything in this position.
:patriot:

I am waiting on my DOM tubing, so not much to update now.

I am interested in seeing how you 'moved' the mounts forward an 1".
I can't see how that would work, so pics would help. I am thinking I may have to put bends in the tie rod to clear the cover, like the RK set up does.
I'll see when the tube gets here and I can get to making this work again.

I'm just getting my steering linkage together, it looks like you used 1.25"OD tube is that right? I am using 1.5"OD DOM
You mentioned it hitting the coil buckets, which isn't a problem for me, but its looking like my tie rod is going to hit my RuffStuff dif cover. Was that a problem for you?
Also, the upper mount (drag link) did it fit your heim and 2 misalignment spacers properly? I can't fit the heim with the spacers... the gap is about 1/8" too tight. I measured the gap, its 1.62" and it should be 1.75"

thanks

Yes, I used 1.25" DOM. I am using a stock D30 cover so that was not a problem, and I had to grind about 1/16 of off each misalignment spacer to get it to fit properly.

watching this one. you have done some good work getting it on and the other side in double sheer. this is the set up i want to go with so i cant wait until you are done and i can see it in action.

I am waiting on my DOM tubing, so not much to update now.

I am interested in seeing how you 'moved' the mounts forward an 1".
I can't see how that would work, so pics would help. I am thinking I may have to put bends in the tie rod to clear the cover, like the RK set up does.
I'll see when the tube gets here and I can get to making this work again.

Similar to the Off Road Only “U Turn Steering . Here is a link to U-Turn driver steering bracket.

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/TJLJmods/U-Turn/U-turn_Image/DSC02791.JPG

I built one using ¼” plate to attach to the unit bearing bolts (on the back side of the knuckle) with ¾” plate welded to a slot in the ¼” . The ¾” plate has two 5/8" holes in it that picks up the original tie rod position bolted with a5/8 bolt and the hole forward and in board is the new connection point for the heim.
I am also going to modify the BTF bracket to match. :thumbup:

I like that idea a LOT! I'm goint to be building my heim steering right away here and I was trying to figure out a way to get the tierod to clear my swaybar mounts better... I think that may be the key for the drivers side.

What ever you do on the driver side will have to do the same on the passenger side. This will keep the steering geometry correct. My BTF bracket will be delivered tomorrow once I modify it I'll post pics.:eyes:

thanks

I just received my bracket from BTF and the drag link connection is to narrow as well, 1.63" and the heim with misalignment spacers is 1.82". Did you get a response from BTF?:wow:

I just finished my over the knuckle heim steering set up. I looked at BTF's bracket and Off Road Only’s U – Turn steering and others. I actually purchased the BTF bracket and it hit on the spring and the original track bar bracket. It would have been way too much modification to make it work, so I chose to return the bracket to BTF with no problem.

Then decided to fab my own set up. I found using 1 1/2 x 1/4 wall chromoly tubing over the knuckle that there were a lot of interference issues. It seemed the easy way was to get the tie rod and drag link mounting points forward and in slightly.

Driver side bracket-
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Steering Mods/DSCF0028.jpg

Passenger side bracket-
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Steering Mods/DSCF0002.jpg

The brackets are attached at the original tie rod end hole (drilled out to 5/8”), at the two forward wheel bearing bolts and an additional attach point on the out side of the bracket directly to the forward arm of the knuckle.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Steering Mods/DSCF0012.jpg

Here you can see the original tie rod location and the new location, driver side (forward and in).
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Steering Mods/SP1.jpg

Here you can see the original tie rod location and the new location, passenger side (forward and in).
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/spatag/Steering Mods/DSCF0011.jpg

The result of this was the tie rod is forward 1 ½” and 3+/- above its original location.

I used ¾” heims from Dan @ Ruff Stuff and 1 ½” x ¼” wall chromoly tubing and ¼” steel plate purchased at Competitive Metals locally.

My total cost including tubing, heims w/ bungs & spacer, steel plate, f911 and grade 8 bolt and nuts, including a complete second set of fasteners…$175.00

I took it out and it drives great. In fact the steering has never felt this good since before any lift.

well since I haven't updated in a bit...
I'll have to grab some pics, but right now I am trying to figure out the dif cover -vs- tie rod problem I'm having. I have the RS heavy duty cover, and it sticks out quite a bit. So I am going to cut a slab out of the cover to solve that problem.

I am also trying to figure out how to get the trac-bar angle to match the drag link... since I am doing this, I want to get it right.

nice work on building it yourself... turned out pretty well.

I'll post some pics of my track bar tomorrow. JKS makes a nice axle bracket to relocate your track bar. I made mine but copied their design. I did use one of their builder track bars...nice part (PN OGS9501).

SPXJ that is badass, i like how it pushes everything forward.

Thanks...it was a week of fit...remove fit and tack....grind the tacs and fit up again. But it has worked out well. I'm really happy with the way everything came out and it all works great!

How much shipped to 37040?

How much shipped to 37040?

Let me run this set up a while, put it through some testing first. I've only had a chance to drive it a couple of times now, only an hour or so on the finished product. I'm going to hit a couple trails this weekend to see how it does. I'll let you know how it works out.

But to answer your question??? :eyes: Alot and thats a low estimate :) :roll:

Back