• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brown Dog motor mounts... worth the cash?

I'd get OEM mounts. I have brown dog rubbers and the vibes suck, though my trans mount may also be to blame

Brown dog motor mounts are the second best upgrade you can do to your jeep.(first being a cage). Just follow the directions on how to install them and you'll enjoy the mounts.I reajusted mine because i didn't read them and now it is almost as smooth as stock.

Good luck and i hope you have many great days on the trail with no worry's about your fan hitting the rad.

Had the BD mounts about a year now. A hair more vibe at idle but no movement of engine on hard acceleration. Feels awesome. No more fan rub. Worth every penny.

I have a poly trans mount and that gave me more vibes than the BD MMs did

I've been holding out hope Brown Dog would have done a transmission mount by now. Seems like years ago I was hoping for one though and still nothing. It would be nice having matching mounts...

I'd get OEM mounts. I have brown dog rubbers and the vibes suck, though my trans mount may also be to blame

The directions specifically say that if the vibes are too much, then back the nut off about 1/4 turn or so, I think.

The frame side mounts are not worth it. The stock mounts easily last 100,000 miles. Putting them up against more horsepower? Well, then check them every 20,000 miles for excessive wear like a good owner should be doing anyway. As long as the rubber is in good condition and the brackets are not rusted then they should hold. The brand new OEM mounts in my Comanche do not let the engine move and properly absorb vibrations.

The engine block brackets are entirely worth it due to extra mounting points and spreading out the load.

If you play hard like a lot of folks do, they are will worth the money you spend on them.I have gone thru a few sets of stock ones just goofing off.

Yes, just goofing off. No i didn't land it, i know better with stock mounts

I did that. Washers are loose under the nut. I may screw with it some more and if I get results or come up blaming the trans mount I'll post up.

Try snugging the nut down just until you can't turn the washer by hand. Also, did you loosen the transmission mount prior to installing the mounts then tighten it back down after?

I forgot to loosen the trans mount before installing the Brown Dog motor mounts. I loosened all 4 bolts & re-snugged afterwards - which is NOT how Brown Dog told me to do it. This may be the problem I'm having.
I probably shouldn't be talking about the vibrations from my BD mounts until I've checked to see if its the trans mount or the motor mounts allowing the vibration.
Tomorrow should be try enough to get under the Jeep and see.
In the mean time, I've been having varied amounts of vibration. It really seems bad sometimes, then it will seem pretty mellow. It's almost got to be perception, or maybe the mounts are wearing in a little..?

Depends.

I bought a set and installed last year. Customer service is top notch. Removed them several months later and went with Auto Zone cheapos because the addition of vibes when stopped bothered me on my commute.

The Brown Dog mounts just were not right FOR ME. They are sitting on the shelf in the garage adding to my dwindling parts collection.

I didn't have the install instructions at first that mentioned backing the thru bolt off enough for the Washer to be 'loose' and the vibrations where horrible. I got in touch w/ Brown Dog and they mentioned backing off the nut a bit. I have backed it off in various amounts, to the extent that I was afraid the bolt would back itself out... and although it helped a bit w/the vibrations, they still transmit a LOT more NHV than the OE rubber mounts. Just depends on what you can/can't handle and the level of comfort knowing your engine will not move around. I have replaced my transmission mount since the BD motor mounts and that did not change my NHV at all. If it wasn't for my Dirt Bound Triple fan kit and 2-core aluminum radiator... and the smallish amount of clearance between them... I'd be tempted to go back to OE. My rig is 95% DD and 5% casual off-roader during hunting season for the most part. :)

As said above... The BD mount simply had too much vibration for me. even after adjustments.

Aftermarket OEM clone mounts lasted one or two wheeling trips and the d/s would come apart.

I bought OEM from the dealer and all fixed. No noise, no vibes and still going strong after 4 years, and afaik, the guy I sold it to is still running them.

That said, Brown dogs are probably the best aftermarket mount you can buy.

After driving around on some stock motor mounts with little to no miles on them, the engine moved enough to start chewing up one of the the E-fans I installed. I really didn't think the engine could move that much. First thing I did when I saw that was walk inside to the computer and ordered some Brown Dog mounts...

I just orderd some because mine were shot. After ordering I got an email saying 'sequenced for production', hopefully I can get them soon so I can see how awesome they are..

Back