• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bringing a new project home today

Ken, you forgot. ;)

I finished putting everything back together well enough to tell if the clutch was going to work, fired it up and had the loudest god aweful squealing noise I've ever heard... great! Turns out the access cover over the fly wheel wasn't in the groove like it was supposed to be, it was against the flywheel. Fixed that.

Clutch works great.

Now, I just have to figure out why it wants to idle at 3000rpm...

Is this not the ugliest truck you've ever seen? Especially with the camper top!

2012-02-27_17-39-24_799.jpg

Please ignore the fact that it looks like a dumpster exploded in my yard. I have a mess to clean up. Have I mentioned how much I would love a garage with a cement floor and a lift? I hate working on grass!

I love my heated shop with concrete floor. I just need the lift now. ;) Did you get the top bolts sorted?

No, not yet. Jon says they're either 10m or 12m so I just need to go by the store and pick some up.

I'm going to try to do a little diagnosing of the high idle issue tonight.

I'm reading where the IAC, TPS and Vacuum leaks are the usual culprits...

Any other things to look for?

No, not yet. Jon says they're either 10m or 12m so I just need to go by the store and pick some up.

I'm going to try to do a little diagnosing of the high idle issue tonight.

I'm reading where the IAC, TPS and Vacuum leaks are the usual culprits...

Any other things to look for?

What year is it again? Is it TBI?

I swear. It never ends.

Ok, so 2 issues now.

I got it all put back together, bolt the shifter up, started it up in 1st gear let off the clutch and it acted like it wanted to move but at least one or more of the brakes seemed to be locked tight. I could get one of the back wheels to spin like hell but the other 3 seemed to hold it in place. It would roll backwards no problem. So, now I get to figure out whats up with that. It rolled fine when it went on the trailer.

Next, and more of an issue... once I had it running and in gear I was going to pull it out of 1st, put it in reverse and back up but it wouldn't come out of gear. I shut the engine off and it shifted just fine thru all the gears. The problem is obviously that the clutch isn't completely disengaging. I knew the clutch didn't feel just right but I didn't know why.

I started comparing the older style clutch master cylinder to the one that's in the truck now. (Was internal slave, now it's an external slave with a different master.) The shaft that hooks to the pedal on the newer master cylinder is 1" shorter than the older shaft. The throw on the pedal isn't long enough to actuate the newer master. Apparently, I'm going to have to find a different master/slave assembly.

This is the part that I used...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_C0402_1185230_-1&pt=C0402&ppt=C0015

This is what I was told will work. The pedal bottoms out before the clutch is pressed in all the way...

For the guys that have done this conversion... what part did you use?

Fiddled with some vac hoses last night and got the idle down to what it should be. I think it's going to need some more tuning once I get the thing moving.

Apparently, I have the wrong bearing retainer and that's my problem.

Do any of you guys have a bearing retainer you could sell me? It needs to be off of a 94 and later AX-5.

Looks like this:
bearing-retainer-4746025.jpg

I got the part I needed...

I put the part in the passenger side of the bench seat.

I hooked a strap from the front of the truck to the back of my trail rig and drug it into the edge of the woods out of my damn way so I could cut grass. I may get back to working on it within the year. Stand by.

lol, On the way to Uwharrie this weekend I'll be picking up a clean bench seat and on the way back I'll be picking up a straight bed that Travis pulled for me at the pull-a-part.

Buying things slowly as they become available... I'll start on it again when I get back from Uwharrie next weekend.

How about you come get it fix the transmission for me.

I honestly dislike pulling transmissions more than installing them. Had a bear of a time getting the input shaft out of the clutch on my 91 Saturday night. Took like 5 horrible hours to pull everything apart, maybe 3 to put it back together and I was relaxing while doing it once it was going back together.

Yeah, it was a bitch to get it apart. Granted, that was the first time I'd done it. Going to back together was easy. I just don't want to have to take it all back apart again, yet.

Back