• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Bring back the Jeep Cherokee" Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know that the new Beetle might not compare to the old Beetle, etc., but it's just the fact that it was brought back by popular demand is what I am referring to.

Do you have a link to that new Jeep you spoke of? :)
Does it really not have any good features of the Cherokee? :(

re-tooling costs? not brought back by poular demand? I agree partially but at the same time strongly disagree. DC is a huge company with profit driven principles. From what I've seen the KJ hasn't been the greatest seller. I also know that car companies will spend hundreds of millions to develop the next big thing. So the only way to do that is to inform them that they no longer manufacture anything that fits your criteria in a vehicle. This doesn't mean ditch the KJ but it could mean to expand the vehicle lineup to 4 with a newly redesigned and updated XJ. Hell the XJ outsold the wrangler for years and it's still around. Why? Well mainly because it's the focal point of the Jeep brand, so why can't we petition them to bring back, in a newer platform, the XJ?

It's a business and I run a business so I do know what I am talking about. A phone call can do amazing things, thousands of phone calls can make miracles happen.

How much could it possibly cost to put the dies back in the machines? Most of the factory workers that worked on the XJ probably still work there so there isn't much retraining to do. Is it hard to believe that DC would drop the KJ? Ford dropped the cougar, and Marauder after only a couple years. The Aztek was a flop and was completely updated after a year, and still slow selling. The camaro was canned by GM last year but they also promised to bring it back by 2005 due to popular demand. The Mustang Cobra was brought back by popular demand, the Camaro SS was brought back, the ZO6 is a demand car, the Rubicon is a demand Jeep, the SRT-4 is a demand car, the entire SUV craze is a demand niche so why can't the original SUV maker bring the XJ back in some form?

Don't complain about DC not making anything for you if you don't tell them they don't. I signed and I am complaining because next year I graduate and I will buy a new car but it won't be a Jeep unless it's used and I want a new car.

I see that jeep about every 6 months. THere is some references to it on this site: http://www.onetomany.com/jeepnews/indexflash.htm (dig through prototypes/announcements and such), but what I see is the evaluations/ratings preproduction models which not many outside people get t osee... and lets see... it's waaay longer... it's way wider, it's way lower, looks like it will have IFS up front, it's got body/flares/bumpers all integrated to the point where hacking will be a major pita, its got a third row seat, it will most likely have spare underneath and so on... oh... did I mention that it's gonna be only automatic and probably only 3.7 and 4.7 engines? They are planning to dump the 4.0 in case you didn't know... so you know what... I dont want that ugliness to bear a Cherokee name!

Kejtar

well.. then why dont' you buy a Rubicon? That for most part was the step in the right direction and if we don't support such cars by buying them... guess what.. they will stop making them...

Kejtar

Okay, Raptor. I'm on board. I'm with you. I think we really can make a difference and I'm going to start right now.

I've decided to start collecting deposits from people who really want the XJ back and who are willing to put their money where their mouth is. Send me a check or money order for $4000 and I'll put it in a trust account. When I have collected $1 million I'll take it to DC and demand that they begin building XJs again. If they refuse, I gurarantee to refund every penny of your money.

I'll expect your check sometime in the next week or two, Raptor.

Haha, you're a riot there, dmillion. Besides, I never said I wanted a new one NOW. I have one now that's in perfectly fine condition. I just want them to be around whenever the time comes for me to buy a new one.

I don't have $4000 now anyway. Just got married. My money's pretty much all gone!! Now I need to save for a house! :(

Sorry man, it's not gonna happen. The cars you refer to that were "brought back," like everybody said, were completely different cars, the only similairty was the name of them.

The XJ was replaced with the XJ, which does sell (you see a lot of KJ's here in California), they are not going to "bring back" a vehicle while it's replacement is still selling.

Even if they do start producing a Cherokee (I highly doubt the body code would be XJ again), it's not going to be the same. I guarentee you it will have IFS and no 4.0 option. It's just the way they're going.

Also, by your saying that you cannot get a new XJ right now, but you want it back right now, it just going to get DC to laugh at you, as they pointed out, DC (like all companies) sees dollars, if there's ten million people who want the Cherokee back, but they can't afford a new Cherokee, well, they're not going to get it until they all can afford it.

Hate to break it to you man, but we're all stuck with our old cars, luckily they're the best car to be made in recent history!

yeah, its so illogical its embarrasing. He hasn't listened to (let alone absorb) one word any of us have said, except for the ones he thinks are agreeing with him.

don't continue to make a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
raptor0192 said:
Haha, you're a riot there, dmillion. Besides, I never said I wanted a new one NOW. I have one now that's in perfectly fine condition. I just want them to be around whenever the time comes for me to buy a new one.

I don't have $4000 now anyway. Just got married. My money's pretty much all gone!! Now I need to save for a house! :(

Hahaha, thats a good one. Hey DC, please keep making these so I can buy one when I have the money.

I had a good laugh. Thank you so much! :D

Glenn

I'm not just doing this for me, I'm doing it for all the other people who want to purchase one NOW, as well as in the future. Man, some of you are thick.

Oh, and I HAVE listened to and absorbed what you have said. But it's mostly a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. I NEVER said they just start making them again just because they get one little petition.
But ANYTHING is possible.

raptor0192 said:
Oh, and I HAVE listened to and absorbed what you have said. But it's mostly a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. I NEVER said they just start making them again just because they get one little petition.
But ANYTHING is possible.

Raptor: Here's a quick little story that I was quite involved in. You know of the '94-'96 Impala's? Quick description: Cop brakes, handling, etc., Corvette motor with a semi-jazzy interior and decent tires and wheels................I have NEVER bought a new car, but wanted one of those since they brought them out in '94. GM just kept making them better each year. '95 got new colors and some minor adjustments, '96 got a nice center console and some other interior mods. I was poised to buy my FIRST NEW CAR, a '97 Impala SS. GM wanted to build more Tahoes, and needed a plant to do so......lowest produced car--Impala, Caprice line = dead Impala. I don't think there's been a petition group like that since the Mustang/Probe wars of the late 80's/early 90's (that is the ONLY successful stay of execution of a vehicle that I know of). Well GM killed my first new car...........we were looking again and we ended up buying a ZJ. Nice car, very comfortable, etc. I still see Impala SS's on the road and still kind of want one (I wonder what their towing capacity is ? ) We had MANY petitions with large numbers. I got a message when the 'All new' Impala was released to take a virtual tour as part of their 'target' market. I was psyched until I participated and found out what I'd helped create. I wouldn't buy that FWD pile of sh!t to save my life. I'd like to think that my and some of my friends responses to that vehicle is what helped create the 2005 GTO, but I honestly don't know.

I see the exact same parellels with the XJ line. DC's response when I've written to them regarding a new vehicle (I wrote requesting an opinion on what I should buy after configuring a WJ how I'd use it vs. a TJ) was "have you looked at the Liberty? It's been praised in the automotive press as one of the best handling SUV's on the market." I wrote back my opinion of the KJ (great vehicle that doesn't fit my needs and I abhore the styling ques) and haven't heard back from them.

All that said, I'm sure DC knows the opinions of roughly 15-20K XJ lovers out there by now. The response was from someone on a TEAM devoted to the 'KJ controversy' or something similar. I'll see if I can find the domain, but it was kind of interesting.

Beezil is right on with the attitude of DC. They are in the business of making money by selling NEW VEHICLES. If the SUV trend starts to fall out of favor with consumers, you may see more off-road friendly SUV's. Until that point, KEEP DREAMING about resurrecting a dead body that won't meet current safety standards and emissions (that'll be the excuse you get if you get anywhere).

Last edited:
Ridiculous?

I co-own and run a 103,000 sq foot manufacturing company.

Everything I talked about is based on real-world manufacturing business principal and first hand experience...

what's your backround?

I say we all put a petition together for Beezil to start manufacturing high quality, low cost internal and external cages for paid naxja members :)

There are three main requests made of manufacturers (or suppliers) they are:

-Quality
-Low cost
-Quick Delievery.

Please Pick one.

any combination of the three are not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back