• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Bring back the Jeep Cherokee" Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beezil, Mr. Yoda of Business Understanding, can't you read? Here let me make it big and bold for you: THEY HAVE BROUGHT BACK OTHER VEHICLES BY POPULAR DEMAND, SO THEY COULD DO IT FOR THE XJ AS WELL. IT WOULD BE SIMPLE FOR THEM TO RE-TOOL IT. The XJ has one of the biggest following in the world, so it's even more likely to be brought back than any other vehicle.
Oh, and I never had a CJ and don't know what they're like, so I'm not interested in making a petition for that. But if you'd like to start a petition for that, be my guest.

"Like I said, other vehicles have been brought back by popular demand before."

Not true. No vehicle has ever been brought back by a petition. They have been brought back by a significant number of buyers willing to put money on the table for the chance to buy a vehicle whose tooling hasn't already been dismantled. That's very different from the situation Chrysler is in.

How many of you drive post '97 XJs? How many of you were willing to pony up for a brand new XJ back in 2000 or 2001? Chrysler doesn't give a rat's ass how many XJ devotees there are, as long as so many of them are happy driving around in 4 or 5 or 15 year old vehicles. They only care about how many BRAND SPANKING NEW vehicles they can sell each year. Why is that so hard for so many people to understand?

So forget the petition and set up an escrow account. See how many XJ enthusiasts are willing to put a $4000 deposit in the account for the chance to buy a new XJ. No offense, but my guess is that you won't be one of them, Raptor.

Okay, I'll call you on that.....which vehicles? Under what circumstances?

Simple to retool huh? and line set-up? Supplier coordination? Facility concerns, cordination of production, allocation of laborers, risk-reward economy, market forecasts, strategy with competing product, advertising, distribution, etc, etc....

or should i go on?

jyfkjsadvgliesgilerglierhglieuhgiub

opps, sorry about that......hit my head ont he keyboard, dozed off there for a few seconds......

dmillion, there were over 120,000 Cherokees made in 2001, to provide a supply for the overwhelming demand for them. They were due to stop production in 2000, but continued into 2001 because the demand was so high. So there were indeed more than 10,000 sold in 2001.

Dmillion wrote: "If 10,000 people had gone out and bought new Cherokees in 2001, then MAYBE that could have saved it."

Well, actually 74,490 people went out and bought an XJ in 2001 (5,660 more than bought TJ's) - no effect.

Unfortunately, the raving lunatic from Chicago is correct - this is a business and market decision that has no practical way of being reversed.

Just enjoy what you have, and get real good at keeping it going strong - it isn't like the spare parts will dry up anytime soon - considering the millions which were built.

And, if you need something fabricated - just get in touch with that raving lunatic - word has it he works with metal. (Lithium? :D )

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Beezil, it would be just like the start-up of any other brand-new type of vehicle, except they already know what to do since they were making it for almost 20 years.

No, it wouldn't be "just like it".

manufacturing presupposes ameritization of start-up cost (tens/hundreds of millions) over a LONG production run.....

Are you really under the impression they would be willing to reproduce the XJ for another 20 years?

and you are forgetting the fact that other products now demand spacial priority where the old lines used to be?....

still waiting for your specific examples to my previous questions....

i don't think there is any chance of getting the xj back in production, but it doesn't hurt to sign the petition. so i'll sign it. i think the only way you'll get a new xj is if you import one from beijing or where ever it was they are still making them. someone posted a link here awhile ago. i wonder what import cost would be?

Raptor

you're not listening... are you.... the petitions existed... they were signed... they were even signed while there was still a factory with equipment and trained workers for those assembly lines and it didn't happen then!!!

I am an avid XJ enthusiast but I am a realist... I think you are a bit out of line wondering abot us that we do not sign the petition...

Anyways if you want to get XJ's back, get some program going where people put deposits on XJ's that might get produced again... if you wave money in front of DC's face..they might get interested....

And if you really really want a new one.... order one from Beijing :) :) They put couple nifty improvements on theirs!

Kejtar

Mikal, I think it's a long shot too.

And yeah, it's the Beijing Jeep Corporation. Which, by the way, is still partly owned by Daimler Chrysler. So DC is still at least partly involved in the making of XJs.

Kejtar, YES, I am listening. Isn't anyone else? Didn't you see what I said earlier?

"This is just one piece of the feedback that needs to be given to DC to get them to make it again. It could only be a drop in the bucket for what's needed to bring it back. Or it could be the last thing needed to take it over the edge for them to bring it back. Or maybe they will just ignore it. But we don't know what they'll do. And that is good enough reason to try."

Oh yeah, and like Mikal asked, how much is it to import one from China???

Raptor, when did you realise you wanted to bring the XJ back?

You stroll in here with old news, then get pissed at us when we don't just jump on your bandwagon.

You see, many of us in this organization where pretty active back when there *may* have been a chance of our input meaning something. We signed many petitions, with thousands of signatures. We wrote letters, we made phone calls, we wrote e-mails. This was all when the production line was still in place.

Now you come along like it is some sort of revalation... and that this will make a difference?

The XJ is simply not in their business model. DC is evolving to cheaper to produce platforms. It is not just a matter of having the tooling. They have to buy axles and thousands of other parts from vendors. They where putting big pressure on those vendors to drop the prices of those parts... they played that angle very hard... and caused problems. DC wanted it cheaper, but it was not going to happen easily then. It certainly is not going to happen now. It is not just as simple as stamping out some sheet metal and putting tires on it. It is a very involved process. Inventory, vendor contracts, supply, production facilities are just a few things... IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

So again I ask... where where you back when large numbers of people where working towards this goal when it was still remotely possible?

The only real thing that came out of the huge efforts was that the finally decided NOT to name the KJ the Cherokee... at least here. Other world markets, the KJ is called Chrokee.

I also ask you state your resources as Beezil asked. We would all like to read that stuff.

So, I wish you well in your endeavor. But don't hold it against those of us that are of the opinion that it is a waste of time.

Glenn

Hey, found a great book for you to read!

check it out, should help you with your research....

martha~1.jpg

i'd love to get that extended wheelbase model.

if beijing jeep is affiliated with dc, there might be a chance you could get a limited shipment of them delivered. you'd probably need to have money up front from quite a few people though. that way you wouldn't have to set up a special delivery for just one.

i'd be interested in buying one, but it will be about 5 years or so before i could afford it. hopefully they'll still be in production. ahh, the joys of being a poor college student.

Amen Glenn !

Mikal.. the deal is tha the Chinese doesn't have the airbags (maybe the new ones they start producing will... I haven't kept up with it) plus there was some other equipment that would need to be changed in order to be able to register it here... You might want to ask Eagle about it as he did some research into it..

Kejtar

Glenn, I am not "pissed" at all :)
Just seems unbelievable that some of you wouldn't want to even try again to bring it back :)

Where was I back then? I didn't have a Cherokee then. I just got my XJ recently, so I didn't even know then what they were like. I wasn't looking into buying a vehicle back then, so I didn't even know that the XJ was being replaced. That's where I was.

Oh, and what "resources"? On the vehicles brought back by popular demand? Well, the VW Beetle and the Pontiac GTO are a couple. But it's not just vehicles. Many things are brought back by "popular demand", hence the expression. :)

Beezil, ah, that's the kind of "great" books where your awkward thinking comes from, huh? Now that explains everything. I think I'll pass on your book. You can just keep it...perhaps you keep it under your pillow? ...weirdo

I dont thinkg that you can compare the new beetle to an old beetle... nor most of the new ones... the new thunderbird is nothing like hte old thunderbird.. the new mustang is nothing like the old mustang and so on..... the fact that the name is same means next to nothing... as I said: there is a new Jeep in the works which might bear the Cherokee name and it kind of looks like cherokee, but has no features in it that we consider big plusses of cherokees

Kejtar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back