• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo or BFG AT?

98JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be purchasing tires in the next month or so. I'm between the Dueler Revos and the AT K/Os. I searched and found this one particular thread from almost 2 years ago in which most recommended the BFGs: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13270&highlight=bridgestone+goodrich Now that the Revos have been out for a while, I was wondering if there would be any difference in recommendations.

I do just about all of my driving on road with an occasional trip up onto one of the mountains for some mild wheeling. I have a 30 mile highway commute to work everyday 5 or 6 days a week. So I'm looking for something long lasting, quiet, and good in rain & snow; probably with the most emphasis on the rain & snow aspect. The BFGs don't look like they'd be all that good in the rain being that they lack circumfrencial(sp?) tread grooves like the Revo's have. They both look like they'd be good in the snow with the Revos maybe having a slight advantage with all the sipes.

I should also note that I tend to take corners a good bit harder than the average driver so good handling would be a definite plus too...

Has anybody had both that can do a real world comparison?

Thanks in advance guys,

Chad

i've never run anything on the road but bfgs( if it aint broke don't fix it ) they're very good tires imo especially the ats. i've got 50K on a set with 8/32nds left on them and they've seen thier share of burnouts and offroad time

I've run both, just not on the same vehicle. I ran a set of 30" BFG ATs on my XJ when it was at stock height and fairly new. I was very happy with them for my purposes, which were heavily weighted toward on-road performance at that point. They did well in the wet and snow, less well in the mud as you'd expect. I also got very good wear out of them, as I have each of my sets of BFG MTs since then.

I now run a set of the Revos in the 265/70R16 flavor on my tow rig, a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. I am extremely happy with them. They are 3000% better than the tires that the truck came with. They grip well in the wet, in the snow, perform well on dry roads, and they seem to be wearing evenly and well. They're quiet and smooth, too, for what that's worth. These are also load range E tires, so they're considerably stiffer than you'd put on an XJ.

I really can't make any sort of direct comparison due to the difference in time (about 10 years) and the huge difference in vehicle types. Nevertheless, given the way you describe your intended use, I'd probably recommend the Revos. Only by the smallest of margins, however. I think you'll be happy whichever one you choose.

The BFG is a rather old design, updated a few times. The Revo is a much newer tire, so I'd think you're starting with a better design to begin with. The BFG, when it originally came out, was a hard core off road tire, so not much consideration was given to on-road performance. The Revo was designed much more for the application that you're talking about - mainly on road driving, with the occasional foray off road.

I got great mileage out of my BFG AT's - close to 60K. That being said, I thought they stunk in the snow, which is a major part of life in New England. The Revo's were one of my choices for replacements, but I ended up going with Yokohama Geolandar AT II's, and I love 'em. Quieter that the BFG's, cheaper, and so far they're wearing just as well. Plus they're better in the snow.

If you're absolutely going to choose either the BFG or the Revo, then I'd go with the Revo, just because it's a newer design, and aimed more towards the driving you'll be doing. If you're still open for suggestions, then check out the Yoko's.

I would suggest the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts as well. I've got almost 40K on them now and have had no complaints. They are very good on wet pavement and much quieter than the Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts that were on there before. I don't think I've ever heard them squeal on a quick turn.(and they've had plenty of opportunities to squeal)
My current set are in 225/75R15. When I'm ready for a second set I'll probably go with the 235/50R15s.]

Revos hands down. The Revos are the best all around tires I've ever run. The BFGs are a pretty good tire but like others said, its a dated design. I could go on and on about this since I've run both but I would have to say that the biggest advantage of the Revos over the BFGs is the wet weather traction. When the BFGs start to wear they are prone to hydroplaning. I did 360s on the interstate with my BFGs one day not driving excessively or too fast for conditions. Its pretty common with them. Anyway, I really feel you will be happier with the Revos if you drive it on the road much. :D

Btw, I just got my Revos rotated and balanced (free where I got the tires) and I've only gone down 2/32s of tread at a little over 20K on them. :D

I vote for the BFG.
I have had 5 different sets of them, on four diffferent vehicles. All went over 60,000 mis and delivered excellent perforamance.
I have a good friend who bought the Bridgestone REVO instead and now has just about 50,000 onn them, they will need to be replaced before the snow flys. he has been VERY satisfied with them. Another friend is very loyal to the dueler. he is on his third set on the same Ford!!

I think you will be happy with ANY OF THESE!!! They are all great tires!
Good Luck,
CW

Hmm... It seems like the votes may be leaning in favor of the Revos. The only thing about that is that it seems that they don't come in the exact size I'll need: P225/70R16. I'll just have to step up a size to P235/70R16s, no big deal.

Just as a side note, these are the tires that I have now: http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinXCXAPT.html?tiretype=5&tire=12 They've been great tires in virtually every aspect. Even as they've worn down (which has taken a while), they're still awesome in the rain at highway speed.

Keep the votes coming...

I say dueler revos. In any kind of terrian. The BFG was a awesome tire when it came out, but that was eons ago. Its still a good tire, but there are better tires now for the money.

Back