• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brian's Log: 1998 XJ, 6.5" 33's, 3 link on the way:)

My sliders were supposed to be designed to fit around the long arm kit and work with my frame stiffeners.... however, Brian at JCR has contacted me, i need to give him a call back today to finally discuss the ordeal. I was somewhat given a runaround trying to deal with the problem...

But to clarify things, these Rock SLiders would not mount, period.... they wouldnt have worked on a bone stock cherokee.... the angles of the legs were such that if the base plates were on the frame, the sliders were angled down to the ground and inches from bolting to the pinch seam.... the lengths of the legs were also such that the rock rails sat very crooked when looking down the jeep... they were just plain FUBAR.....

JeepWriteUps131.jpg

Looks like you not only added the SYE, but had the t-case in half too - fixing a leak?
I've got to do the same thing to my 231 - did you drop the case out, or do it in the rig?

it is necessary to split the T/C in half in order to install the SYE(you have to pull both splined shafts, one for the front d/s and the one you are changing...)... I installed mine on the rig, was so easy i was angry that I had put off the install for so long!!!

I would always recommend installing the SYE while the T/C is still on the rig... just be prepared to work in a "half sit-up" position for a few hours... it's good for the core..lol

Definitely don't hesitate to do the install, it goes soooooo easy... I used a stock xj front driveshaft just so you know too!

I know what you mean about putting things off.
I've got to fix my leaking transfer case.. ..but I don't want to pull my JCR skid.
But I also don't want to do the job with the skid in the way making the job more annoying than it should be.

: ) haha

How is the JCR Skid mounted???

i used red RTV meant for high temperatures, it wasn't what was recomended, but i felt that it could get a little warmer under there with the big skid plate.... assuming a bit less airflow(if there is even any) underneath the Transfer Case...

I see that JCR skid is super mounted!!! sucks you have to take off both that and the stock crossmember!!!

Goodnews: Brian at JCR Offroad has been in touch with me and has promised to help work out something with the ill fitting rock rails!!! We've been playing some phone tag, but hopefully we will get in touch and remedy the issue :):)

^^^ haha, i was definitely hoping to avoid that particular problem!!!

I see that JCR skid is super mounted!!! sucks you have to take off both that and the stock crossmember!!!

Thanks for the tip on the Hi-Temp RTV.
After looking at it, I'll bet I can get the 231 in half with even the JCR skid installed.
It will just be less comfortable and take longer.
Since all I'm looking to do is re-seal the two halves of the case, I shouldn't have to remove the stock crossmember, right?

I promise the thread hi-jack ends here.
: )

no worry on the thread..lol and no problem on the hi-temp rtv tip...

Looking at pics of that JCR skid, i would imagine it would really hard to split the case in half, be able to clean the inside of both halves, and reapply RTV(cleanly) with the crossmembers/skids in place.

I'd just throw a jackstand underneath that transmission and drop the skids... If you ever, and i mean ever, think you may install an SYE... go on and do it... you will basically be more than half way there when you get into this job on fixing the leak....

a good HD SYE from Advance Adapters is like $200..... you can find junkyard front cherokee driveshafts for less than $50... even if you dont think you have vibes now, i promise you will notice a difference.... I'd almost argue that an SYE was my favorite mod..haha

Just for reference on Transfer Case work, here are AA's install insturctions... they are with the t/c out of the jeep, but its a good reference to see what the guts look like!

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/5040.pdf

Good news guys, JCR Offroad made good on their reputation for excellent service. Im expecting a few goodies to arrive in the coming week or so to make up for the rock rails' fitment. Im sure it was just a fluke, and i wouldn't hesitate to order more parts from them. Brian and Daryl both are great guys to deal with!

Thats good to hear Brian. Glad they got you all taken care of.

Yep!, I was pretty happy that they finally did right by me, especially after such an extended period of time.

More good news, The 4.88's, front 30 spline chromos, front arb and rear trac-lock install begins in about 2 hours :)

Goodies are installed!!! i must say, it's a whole different world!!!, now i just have to get the stupid zerks out of the new lower ball joints, and clean up one little air leak and its good to go!!!

So, it looks like i need to change a u joint, im having a light popping sound, Im kind of thinking my guy may have dropped a cap and lost a needle bearing we will see..... I cant find a spicer anywhere locally today, so ill prob grab a napa joint..

Good News.. JCR made GOOD.. i recieved my heavy duty nut strips in the mail yesterday, along with my 100$ gift certificate! I used the Gift Certificate to order a 4 bolt, steel steering spacer and JCR's front end reinforcement kit under the Back in Black sale!! Those should be here next week!

Definitely had a bad u joint... had a faint clicking when going around turns, i guess i had a bad spicer unit... or the guy that installed it destroyed it in the process...one or the other... I tossed a federal mogul unit in and it is good to go!!!

Heading back home to the mountains this weekend for some play time!

Back