• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
So on the Front 44 I picked up it had Wilwood brakes. It has the Rotors, Calipers ect...

It says, "for race use only". Why can't I use them on the street? Whats the difference between street and race? Is it illegal to use race brakes on the street?

I wanna get a matching set for the rear too, but this is my DD.

What do you guys run for upgraded braking system? Should I use the setup, or no?

Alot of times the 'For race use only' bit is used to cover aftermarket auto parts companies in case something goes south with their product. It's reasonable, especially for a brake manufacturer. Go ahead and run them on the street, Wilwood brakes rock. As far as illegality, that depends on the state. I have no clue what the rules are in CA, but I doubt you'll get bagged for running aftermarket brakes.

There will be no difference in the calipers, as far as how they work. It's just hydraulics.the surface area of the pistons will determine the clamping force on the rotor. The brake pads, however may make a difference in the race only category. They usually experience a lot more heat during the course of a race than a typical street driven vehicle, and don't work very well at low temps and need to be "warmed up." They are also alot harder on the rotors.
It all just depends on the brake pad compound. Also most race vehicles don't use power brakes.

-Dan

A lot of parts say "for off road use only", it's mostly a liability thing. Whoever built that axle with the Wilwood brakes didn't race it..........

are the calipers floating, or rigid mount?

dont 'full race' brakes have differant kinds of seals for hi-temp?
ive even heard race CAR brakes dont have dust covers, as they get rebuilt on a regular basis?

A lot of parts say "for off road use only", it's mostly a liability thing. Whoever built that axle with the Wilwood brakes didn't race it..........

Your right, they have never been used, but why do you say that?

I am going to eventually run them, I was just curious as to wither or not it was dangerous or illegal.

Thanks, it will be a while till its put back together and put in, but I wanna make sure its all ready to go when I am.

If I even use it, lol.

Back