• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boy did i mess up

Dunno how you bent yours like that, but clean off is usually the case. Mine ripped off on the trail. Bent my upper arm and shock from the axle moving backwards and wheeling on it.

userbmx1315 said:
how did you manage to bend it that bad? i rolled my old jeep 3 times and bent both mounts and it wasnt that bad. great fix. looks like the rough country arms.

I've seen quite a few of these get bent up pretty bad, and even rip off the axle. The worst of them were using fixed arms with poly bushings and no flex joints. This adds a lot of stress when you over flex it, and the stock mounts just can't handle it.

ratherbcamping said:
Yep, The D30 I bought recently has some good battle scars and it has the little skid plates on the brackets. I took these before pictures. You can see that one side was completely re-welded in place.

I have already straightened out the brackets. Next I will grid down and clean up the existing welds and re-weld as needed. I plan to weld washers on the outside of the brackets, fill in the existing holes on the inside, grind smooth and drill the mounting holes to the correct size. They are oval shaped and pretty worn out right now.
P3090100.jpg

P3090101.jpg

P3090102.jpg

Sorry about that. There was no way to properly prepare the surface and the machine that we had available was a 110 volt fluxcore unit that wouldn't start a bead for anything. I finally got one good bead going and the machine tapped out after 5 seconds. I advise that those welds be taken all the way down because I did not get good penetration for most of it, just a pile of upside down crap.

P.S. I told that owner not to drive on that mount in that condition. 2 years ago.

Ya those stock mounts are weak as hell. It didn't take much for mine to bend, I really wasn't doing anything, just trying to drive out of the trail because I had just been sideways against a tree for 2 hours. I was driving less than 10mph, and I couldn't see this dip. Your welds held up pretty good, mine started ripping.
Heres how I did mine, It was from going up that slope my rear tire is resting on.
100_0090.jpg

And what it looked like:
100_0093.jpg

000_0125.jpg

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I've seen quite a few of these get bent up pretty bad, and even rip off the axle. The worst of them were using fixed arms with poly bushings and no flex joints. This adds a lot of stress when you over flex it, and the stock mounts just can't handle it.

Ha, that's exactly how my stock mount ripped clean off the axle on the trail. I had fixed arms with poly bushings, no flex joints. I run 1/4" steel RE mounts and super flex adjustable arms now.

goodburbon said:
Sorry about that. There was no way to properly prepare the surface and the machine that we had available was a 110 volt fluxcore unit that wouldn't start a bead for anything. I finally got one good bead going and the machine tapped out after 5 seconds. I advise that those welds be taken all the way down because I did not get good penetration for most of it, just a pile of upside down crap.

I figured this was a trail repair by the looks of it. I've done a lot of clean up and grinding since I took those pictures. The welds actually look pretty good, but it took a lot of grinding. Welding the skid to the axle really makes it strong that’s probably why it's still there. I'm going to add some steel filler and add welds on the top of the bracket as well as rework the existing welds.

lowrange2 said:
Lol... The rust doesn't wait til next weekend...

it will have to. lol........ just not enough time in the week.

userbmx1315 said:
how did you manage to bend it that bad? i rolled my old jeep 3 times and bent both mounts and it wasnt that bad. great fix. looks like the rough country arms.

i pretty steep ditch head on at ten mph. so in other words, to steep and to fast.

Thought I'd add mine to the thread. Still haven't decided how to fix mine...

Rockfestdamage001.jpg

Rockfestdamage002.jpg

Rockfestdamage003.jpg

Thats what mine looked like after my jeep hit a Cement barrier...Thats the weak point with aftermarket lowers. Well, thats an under statement really!:roll:

Back