• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boxed rockers...

i hope my rockers look as good as xjmarks when im done . iv seen them up close and they are sweet

I just did another set last weekend and I used a variation of it that I don't think has been done yet with an outer rail.

post-1-1128905136.jpg

post-1-1128905170.jpg

Looks pretty sweet. That's the type I kinda want. Except I like the idea of the 2x6 with an outer rail. Easy access to a future roof rack, and further from rocks.

TrailHunter said:
I just did another set last weekend and I used a variation of it that I don't think has been done yet with an outer rail.

I also just had mine done thanks to the help of some friends (thanks mike and tim :) ) and did the same thing using the outer rail. i think its a very good idea so you can use it to 'pivot' around obstacles if you have to and to help prevent damage to your doors. just went wheeling on sunday and they definately helped to keep rocks, etc. away from the body.

TrailHunter I has a question.. How much to make a set with the outer rail and to ship them????? I understand the lenths would be diffrent but I have a 95 cherokee with rotting out passenger side rocker and I need to replace it I don't care if I have to trim fenders for a smooth Finish.. But how much for you to build and ship to SC?

Here is a link to what my rocker looks like
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=255387

Last edited:
here are the two sets I helped with, the outer rail is .250 wall DOM, kind of overkill but it works well. When I do my manche, I am going to make sure to tie them in to the frame. My friends didn't and they messed up the doors so they don't close properly.
attachment.php

attachment.php

davidt said:
here are the two sets I helped with, the outer rail is .250 wall DOM, kind of overkill but it works well. When I do my manche, I am going to make sure to tie them in to the frame. My friends didn't and they messed up the doors so they don't close properly.

Not surprising they would fail if they're just welded to the sheet metal body(even if welded all the way around).
I've told people in the past that they would bend if used for rock crawling unless they were tied into the frame somehow, it always fell on def ears though.

If they are braced internally, they should hold up well to most real world abuse.

IMG_4790.JPG

It wasn't until recently on this trail....when I basically jumped my rig over a rock and it landed on the corner of the rocker right by the fender...that they finally bent some:

IMG_6860.jpg

If you're going to beat on them on trails like these....then I think there is a need for additional bracing. I'm just not sure what the BEST way to do that is.

Mine are tied to my subframe and to my cage.
Unfortunately, I used .120 wall and they're dented and the driver's side has a slight bow in it.

My buddy has a jd2 converted to hydro...here is a picture of the trail we were on where the damage occured.
P9110032.jpg

They are welded to the body and they are welded all the way around. Jes, I am listening ;) I have some 1.75" .120 wall leftover from another project. I am going to brace it in three places to the frame with the tube.
jes, do you have any pics of how you did it?

TrailHunter said:
I am working on another project where the owner already had boxed in rockers and now we've chopped it all up and are building the cage off of the sliders. It really is an easy platform to build off of. I haven't done it yet, but we will tie the slider into the sub-frame when we're done.

Sounds good but I dont know if it would be benifitial to tie the cage to the sliders then do runners/braces over to the frame? If you could I would do the cage to the frame and tie the rockers to the cage or atleast mount the cage between the frame and the sliders on the braces.

In any case, you may want to look in to doing diag. kickers from the cage about 12" up from the sliders over to the frame. At least then its triang. and would significantly improve the strength. just my .02

davidt said:
jes, do you have any pics of how you did it?

Some pictures are in this thread... My cage buildup.

Didn't look to see if these were in there so I'll post them here.
Here is where I cut...
picture.JPG

2X6X.120 box(I should have used 2X6X.188)...
picture.JPG

Cage lowered through floor to weld on feet that connect the cage/rockers/subframe together...
picture.JPG

Here you can see the subframe/rocker interface...
picture.JPG

Back