• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought tires... Need lift.

Well so far I've bought:

5Ib5K95Je3Ie3M43H6c1qa8e36e39f8691579.jpg

I think they're Superlift LCA's, and they're about 0.5" longer than stock -should be about right for a 2.5-3" lift yeah?

And: the Old Man EMU 2.5" Lift with the OME shocks traded out for Bilstein 5100s (that I posted a link to above).

4wheelparts didn't give me an option for valving... I should be able to still change it, if there's something specific I should request beyond whatever they'll give me as part of the kit.

Also any recommended additions before the parts come and I start putting it all together?

Thanks again for all the help!

those LCA are poop...

youll see that most have a bend in them or the tubing is offset to the bottom of the axle side joint to add clearance. this is because on droop, strait arms will hit the coil bucket/shock mounts and limit droop. if this isnt an issue for you, then fair enough.

the length should be fine.

those LCA are poop...

youll see that most have a bend in them or the tubing is offset to the bottom of the axle side joint to add clearance. this is because on droop, strait arms will hit the coil bucket/shock mounts and limit droop. if this isnt an issue for you, then fair enough.

the length should be fine.

yea but at 2.5 inches of lift, it shouldn't really be a problem... or trim a bit of the shock mount to gain another half inch

xj's with ax15's have 3.06? gearing, and it's horrible with 31's. you pretty much have to stay in 4 low off road, and slip the crap out of the clutch to do any real crawling. it's a PITA to wheel. i'd change them out for 4.10's or 3.73's.
i have the exact same jeep as you, with a 4' lift and 31's, no lockers/lsd, and i dont think i want to wheel again until i get the gears swapped.

I have to disagree with you on this one, my Girlfriend has around 4" of lift, 31" Falken Rocky Mountain ATS' (on Ravines), stock gearing (3.07 or 3.09 or whatever) on her 98 with an AX15 / NP231 / D35 / D30 / Open front and rear.

It actually does pretty damn well offroad, it has surprised me more than a few times on what it can do. I don't own a manual, but I can operate one, and it's no harder to drive her Jeep offroad than onroad as far as the clutch / gear-changes go.

She does have an almost brand new clutch I installed at the end of last year though...

I have to disagree with you on this one, my Girlfriend has around 4" of lift, 31" Falken Rocky Mountain ATS' (on Ravines), stock gearing (3.07 or 3.09 or whatever) on her 98 with an AX15 / NP231 / D35 / D30 / Open front and rear.

It actually does pretty damn well offroad, it has surprised me more than a few times on what it can do. I don't own a manual, but I can operate one, and it's no harder to drive her Jeep offroad than onroad as far as the clutch / gear-changes go.

She does have an almost brand new clutch I installed at the end of last year though...

My Cherokee is manual, 3.07 and with MT 29" performs pretty well in sand and mud. The problem is in path with deep footprints the axle touches and the tires lose contact.

I'm in the same process of choosing a lift kit (so many options), just didn't buy anything yet.

if you're not having issues with the gearing being too high then you're not doing the same difficulty of terrain that we do. there's no way to make it up some of this stuff without slipping the clutch, the engine will stall. also, good luck wheeling behind someone with proper gearing.

if you're not having issues with the gearing being too high then you're not doing the same difficulty of terrain that we do. there's no way to make it up some of this stuff without slipping the clutch, the engine will stall. also, good luck wheeling behind someone with proper gearing.

My dad has 5.38s in his JK w/ 35s (he wants 37s) and I have 3.55s with 32s in my XJ. We don't do super hardcore stuff all the time, but we can still get into some crazy stuff. I know there are places my girlfriend can't follow, but her XJ is still pretty damn good for what she has in it.

I had to teach her how to slip the clutch last weekend going up some really steep stuff while in 4hi. :rolleyes:

The best lifts are pieced together with various components. slow down and think it through. buy some 3" coils and a decent set of leafs,ome's are a good compromise.an adjustable track bar is also a wise investment IMHO(inchitis). you need some LCA's also,there's reasonably priced one's out there or used. extend your front brake lines by moving the mount and the rear brakes can be extended with a aftermarket bracket and don't forget sway bar disco's. again take you time,slow down and collect everything you need and do it right.

The best lifts are pieced together with various components. slow down and think it through. buy some 3" coils and a decent set of leafs,ome's are a good compromise.an adjustable track bar is also a wise investment IMHO(inchitis). you need some LCA's also,there's reasonably priced one's out there or used. extend your front brake lines by moving the mount and the rear brakes can be extended with a aftermarket bracket and don't forget sway bar disco's. again take you time,slow down and collect everything you need and do it right.
Forgot to mention shocks,bilsteins are very nice shocks,problem is not everyone can afford them.Doetsch makes a jeep specific shock(Baja Ryder)$52.00 ea.slap a boot on them and there warrantied for life.best bang for buck shock on the market or you can find another less expensive shock.

The 'best of breed' vs 'integrated system' dilemma.

Clean4drxj: Could you describe a bit more about what you don't like about zone products?

I'd prefer not to go the ZJ V8 springs / bastard pack route, because I'd like a spring rate designed with my lighter 4.0 Cherokee in mind, and I really can't stomach spending $1000 to lift a $2000 Cherokee...

Zone products seem/look/are cheap and they're that for a reason, I didn't see any quality flex joints in the arms, white shocks= rust in 2/3 months and I will bet that their prings will sag after a few months as well.
V8ZJ springs with a s10,dakota, ect bastard pack will do the same as well as cost alot less so you'll be able to spend your money else where.

Ok... I think people missed a few of my posts...

I already purchased this:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=101680&t_pn=ARB8401

With the OME shocks traded for 5100s.

...and recently I picked up a set of used Rusty's "bent" LCAs (for a 3" lift).

My question is: What else should I get / do (hopefully for not much more $$$). Things like Grand Cherokee V8 Tie-Rod, extend brake lines, etc. (Note: I am sticking with the Old Man Emu kit and Bilsteins... I got a great deal, and they're sitting in the garage ready to go).

As for gearing:

Driving will probably be 40/40/20 (City/Highway/Off-Road). With very little crawling, and mostly just forest service roads and such for the off-road portion.
I'm really not concerned about it. I've been trying it lately with the 31's on the rear (around town / hwy 2wd only of course) and it's not bad at all - plus it's seemed to have actually helped with my combined mpgs (as I'm more hwy than city lately) and it still took an early 90s V8 Auto Camaro :D

Back