• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Both plastic speedo gears trashed HELP!

Dark.Rifter.X

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have a 5.5" lifted 91 2 door XJ with a 4.0L, AX15 tranny, NP231 T-case, ford 8.8 rear with 4.56:1 gearing running 33" tires.
I bought it from a guy who knew almost nothing about it and it had already been modified (badly) when he got it. I've since been desperately trying to fix all the F-ups and just got around to speedo correction. I determined I needed a 39 tooth long shaft gear to replace the 29 tooth one that was in it and picked one up used. My T-case has a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) on it but I don't know who made it or what model it is. In my rush to get in out of the snow I didn't reseat it properly and now both the replacement speedo gear and the blue plastic inner tube shaped gear are trashed. Unfortunately this is my daily driver and I have to drive it a lot on the highway, please help.

Has this ever happened to any one else or am I alone in my stupidity?

What is the process for replacing the blue plastic inner gear?

Is the blue plastic inner gear the same as on a stock slip yoke or even just the same in all slip yoke eliminators?

If the inner gear is different from the one in a slip yoke and not the same in all slip yoke eliminators, how can I identify my SYE?

Can that blue plastic inner gear be purchased on it's own and from where or am I going to have to buy a hole new SYE kit?

Sorry for asking so many question on my first post. I'm a bit freaked that I might have just cost my self a bunch of ca$h I don't have.
:helpme:Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

There was a recent thread that mentioned a change in the blue plastic gear based on the age of the SYE.It didnt address any possible differences in manufacturers though.Your just going to try and determine who made it and contact them for replacement parts.

There was a recent thread that mentioned a change in the blue plastic gear based on the age of the SYE.It didnt address any possible differences in manufacturers though.Your just going to try and determine who made it and contact them for replacement parts.

I read through those I could find as well as the various hits I got from a "speedometer gear" search of the forum and now the ones linked to my thread but haven't found what I need to know yet, ie. how to determine the manufacturer. :confused: :dunno:

I trashed one before when I didn't install it correctly and the plastic gear popped off the shaft(gotta rotate it in).

i have the PORC sye and that has a blue inner gear. i'm pretty sure the AA SYE has a blue inner gear too. i do not know if they are the same spline count or diameter though. the reason for the new blue inner gear is that the output shaft is a larger diameter than stock. have you figured out what brand your SYE is? after you do that, you should just have to take the driveshaft off the case, drain the case, loosen the yoke nut (1 1/8, gets torqued to 175 ft-lb (i think... it might be 150)), take the 5 screws out that hold the output cover on, pop the output cover off, use lock ring pliers to get the outer lock ring off, slide off the trashed blue speedo gear, and repeat everything in reverse order. if possible, i'd try to get a new yoke seal when you get a new speedo gear from the MFG too.

if you need help figuring out what brand the SYE is, post a picture of it in/on your jeep.

yeah man honestly if you handed me a new blue threaded thing i could replace ur trashed one in 25 minutes. its very simple and straight forward.

Thanks for all the helpfull posts, I don't have a digital camera so I took some picks with my cell phone, now I just need to figure out how to get them off the phone and on hear lol.

Dark.Rifter.X said:
Thanks for all the helpfull posts, I don't have a digital camera so I took some picks with my cell phone, now I just need to figure out how to get them off the phone and on hear lol.
E-mail them to yourself (not to your cell). Save them to your machine. Open a photobucket.com account and upload them. Copy the

Back